Tony Franklin out at Auburn

jahearme

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I said talent being even most of the time you will not win with this offense. Isn't winning championships why you play. Heck I help coach at Frankfort and we had a good season last year, but were dissapointed because we didn't win it all. Of course our problem is in the other direction we're too run oriented. Although this year we are throwing it a little more. You being a high school football fan I would hope agree that if you're good enough to make it the championship game you're most likely not going to meet teams as talented as you until the regional championships or semi finals.

No. I said talent being even most of the time you will not win with this offense. Isn't winning championships why you play. Heck I help coach at Frankfort and we had a good season last year, but were dissapointed because we didn't win it all. Of course our problem is in the other direction we're too run oriented. Although this year we are throwing it a little more. You being a high school football fan I would hope agree that if you're good enough to make it the championship game you're most likely not going to meet teams as talented as you until the regional championships or semi finals.

I disagree, I think talent being even an offense like this will win. I think if you go back and look most of those Kentucky teams that lost in the semi's or finals ran into more talented teams. Henderson ran this offense under Duffer and had great success until they ran into Male, St X., Moeller. They just didn't have the horses to play with those teams.

I wouldn't say that it is rinky dink in the least because of the success some teams have had going from awful to pretty good using this. I would agree however that everything is predetermined from a game plan standpoint so tendencies are hard to break with the plays you have to run unless you can think outside the box a little bit. That is what made it hard on Mumme in bowl games. The key to the whole deal is you must have a QB that is more moblie now than you did say 10 years ago with Tim Couch because the defensive schemes are so much better and faster. Chris Todd is not that kind of QB...great kid, decent arm...but not a rollout threat or rushing threat. One back can not carry the load all the time and if you are four and five wide then the QB has to run it some and if not man under two deep combos hurt this type of offense if your five can not block their five or six. Auburn has some commitments that can fit that but whether they stay committed will be interesting. Tony will land somewhere and he got 480,000 and a car to coach a team for six games total. Pretty good economics for him while Tuberville is in a world of hurt if he loses two more games.

:thumb:You can't argue with that.I agree corners in.

For those wondering ...

Franklin has been a head coach at three different schools in Kentucky:

Murray ... in the 1980s

Calloway County ... when Pookie Jones was there and a couple of years beyond that

Mercer County ... left there to join Mumme's staff at UK

Franklin was a Mayfield assistant in 1995, the year the Cardinals beat Beechwood for the Class A state title. He added some spread plays to the offense that proved invaluable for the Cardinals that year.

He also was followed as head coach at Mercer by David Morris, who IIRC came with Franklin to Mercer, so there's another Mayfield connection.

Curry actually left Mumme with a great deal of talent. Couch, Yeast, etc. Say what you will about Curry, but he was an excellent recruiter. Every school he left were very successful with the talent he left (Alabama won a national title and even Stallings gave Curry credit for the players he had left him, Georgia Tech and Kentucky).

Auburn is known as a run first team and those are the kind of recruits they have almost always brought in. Who was the last great QB you remember from Auburn? WR?

Jason Campbell