October 9, 200817 yr Author I am not an Auburn fan and have never been one, nor am I a fan of Tuberville ... and will gladly go back to not being one again. Pretty crappy, to push out the offensive coordinator, then hire another one and let him go in the middle of the season. From what I saw of Auburn, they didn't have real good personnel to run Franklin's system, plus I suspect his play-calling was limited a bit by Tuberville. Franklin will land on his feet somewhere ... he always does. :thumb: Great points. If Tuberville would have given TF full control of the offense like he said he was going to do, I think things would have been different.
October 9, 200817 yr So everyone is saying Auburn had less talent than KY did when Mumme got here. I find that hard to believe. It's a rinky dink offense and the SEC pretty much had it figured out after Mumme's first two years. I did a thread on this offense in the high school forum, and ask if any team had won a state championship with it. I believe we came up with maybe two teams.
October 9, 200817 yr So everyone is saying Auburn had less talent than KY did when Mumme got here. I find that hard to believe. It's a rinky dink offense and the SEC pretty much had it figured out after Mumme's first two years. I did a thread on this offense in the high school forum, and ask if any team had won a state championship with it. I believe we came up with maybe two teams. Curry actually left Mumme with a great deal of talent. Couch, Yeast, etc. Say what you will about Curry, but he was an excellent recruiter. Every school he left were very successful with the talent he left (Alabama won a national title and even Stallings gave Curry credit for the players he had left him, Georgia Tech and Kentucky). Auburn is known as a run first team and those are the kind of recruits they have almost always brought in. Who was the last great QB you remember from Auburn? WR?
October 9, 200817 yr Curry actually left Mumme with a great deal of talent. Couch, Yeast, etc. Say what you will about Curry, but he was an excellent recruiter. Every school he left were very successful with the talent he left (Alabama won a national title and even Stallings gave Curry credit for the players he had left him, Georgia Tech and Kentucky). Auburn is known as a run first team and those are the kind of recruits they have almost always brought in. Who was the last great QB you remember from Auburn? WR? Jason Campbell starts in Washington at QB and they had 2 WR drafted in the 2006 draft.
October 9, 200817 yr So everyone is saying Auburn had less talent than KY did when Mumme got here. I find that hard to believe. It's a rinky dink offense and the SEC pretty much had it figured out after Mumme's first two years. I did a thread on this offense in the high school forum, and ask if any team had won a state championship with it. I believe we came up with maybe two teams. In high school, I don't believe that is an accurate way of judging success. While every team shoots for winning a state championship, teams who have installed this system have had much success in getting more players out, having more interest in the program, win more games than ever, etc. What is there to figure out? You act like there is a magic play or two that no one knows about. With that said, it is not about the plays, it is about the program believing in what they are doing and doing the fundamentals correctly...something Auburn obviously didn't do. You can't blame Franklin when he only has a half a year to coach it.
October 9, 200817 yr So everyone is saying Auburn had less talent than KY did when Mumme got here. I find that hard to believe. It's a rinky dink offense and the SEC pretty much had it figured out after Mumme's first two years. I did a thread on this offense in the high school forum, and ask if any team had won a state championship with it. I believe we came up with maybe two teams. I wouldn't say that it is rinky dink in the least because of the success some teams have had going from awful to pretty good using this. I would agree however that everything is predetermined from a game plan standpoint so tendencies are hard to break with the plays you have to run unless you can think outside the box a little bit. That is what made it hard on Mumme in bowl games. The key to the whole deal is you must have a QB that is more moblie now than you did say 10 years ago with Tim Couch because the defensive schemes are so much better and faster. Chris Todd is not that kind of QB...great kid, decent arm...but not a rollout threat or rushing threat. One back can not carry the load all the time and if you are four and five wide then the QB has to run it some and if not man under two deep combos hurt this type of offense if your five can not block their five or six. Auburn has some commitments that can fit that but whether they stay committed will be interesting. Tony will land somewhere and he got 480,000 and a car to coach a team for six games total. Pretty good economics for him while Tuberville is in a world of hurt if he loses two more games.
October 9, 200817 yr So everyone is saying Auburn had less talent than KY did when Mumme got here. I find that hard to believe. It's a rinky dink offense and the SEC pretty much had it figured out after Mumme's first two years. I did a thread on this offense in the high school forum, and ask if any team had won a state championship with it. I believe we came up with maybe two teams. I guess Hoover in Alabama hasn't had any success running this offence have they? If you have the personnel to run it you can and will win, I don't care what conference you play in. Owensboro Catholic would have won some titles with had they had a defense.
October 9, 200817 yr When talent levels are equal 90% of the time you will not win the big game with this offense. Owensboro Catholic had the athletes to run this offense, but not to play defense? Alot of time has to be spent on this offense, wasn't a fan of it when Mumme was here and never will be. I believe Hoover would be succesfull with whatever they choose to run.
October 9, 200817 yr Is any big time college program running his offense? If so, how successful are they?
October 9, 200817 yr Owensboro Catholic, Elizabethtown and Lone Oak have each made it to state championship games with Franklin's offense.
October 9, 200817 yr When talent levels are equal 90% of the time you will not win the big game with this offense. Owensboro Catholic had the athletes to run this offense, but not to play defense? Alot of time has to be spent on this offense, wasn't a fan of it when Mumme was here and never will be. I believe Hoover would be succesfull with whatever they choose to run. Why is that?
October 9, 200817 yr Is any big time college program running his offense? If so, how successful are they? Is Leach's offense not pretty much the same?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.