Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tony Franklin out at Auburn

Featured Replies

Tuberville obviously feeling some heat.

 

I'd say he's feeling more heat than Bruce Pearl after back to back tanning sessions...

  • Replies 81
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really suprised when he was hired. I always looked at the offense as a Mickey Mouse type thing, might get you to the dance but not on the floor.

 

I was not suprised by him being fired, just 1/2 through the season was suprising.

It's been pretty well known that Tuberville wanted out this season, and thought he was going to get the job at Texas A & M, he didn't recruit for this season, he's not recruiting for next season, and this is it for him...bank on it.

  • Author
Tuberville obviously feeling some heat.

 

You got that right. Everytime he feels some heat from the big whigs in Auburn, he cleans house.

This was 100% Tuberville's call.

As far as Franklin finding another job....I think it will be tough, but I think he'll land somewhere....maybe even back at Troy. We'll wait and see.

It should be interesting to see how AU does the rest of the year.

Franklin has made a lot of money going around and selling this system to high schools all over. I know one high school very well that he was at for two or three years (not sure) in a row. I am not sure what the charges were for this (week long camp) but I am certain that it wasn't free.

M. Leach I believe has been about the only one to run this with a lot of sucsess.

It's been pretty well known that Tuberville wanted out this season, and thought he was going to get the job at Texas A & M, he didn't recruit for this season, he's not recruiting for next season, and this is it for him...bank on it.

 

I am not saying that is not true at all but if it is then I would think that the honorable Bob Petrino might try to step into the Auburn job, he tried to cut Tubberville's and Lousiville's throat to get the Auburn job a few years ago. I would not doubt if that as already been discussed betweeen the two (Petrino and Auburn). I would certainly hope that the A.D. at Auburn would not be that stupid to put his program at risk for Petrino.

^ I think there is no way now....the Board of Trustees got embarrassed in the whole thing, I couldn't imagine a bunch of proud Alabamans making that mistake again.

I believe he also use to coach at Mercer County.

I don't think the problem was with the system. Anyone that runs it knows that what is run in high school and at Troy is not what was run at Auburn. It was, from my understanding, and edict that was laid down that certain things would be done a certain way. You never saw a lot of screens or quick game throws from Auburn. It was run the ball or thorw it down the field. That's not how the system works.

One thing to keep in mind here is that the offense that Auburn was using was not really Franklin's system. They rarely ran screens and I never saw the meshes and shallows. I think he may have had trouble selling this offense to the Auburn staff. Tuberville may have dictated to Franklin what he would be doing offensively.

He will be somewhere else soon. He is a smart football coach and wont have any problem getting another job.

^ I think there is no way now....the Board of Trustees got embarrassed in the whole thing, I couldn't imagine a bunch of proud Alabamans making that mistake again.

 

For their sake I would hope not.

One thing to keep in mind here is that the offense that Auburn was using was not really Franklin's system. They rarely ran screens and I never saw the meshes and shallows. I think he may have had trouble selling this offense to the Auburn staff. Tuberville may have dictated to Franklin what he would be doing offensively.

 

I am not sure about this but I believe that after the first 2 or 3 games lookinf at a ompletely terrible offense, Tubberville told him to run the football more.

 

BTW, Auburn's offense is currently ranked 104 out of 119 in college football. That kind of performance doe not fly at a tradition rich school like Auburn.

For those wondering ...

 

Franklin has been a head coach at three different schools in Kentucky:

 

Murray ... in the 1980s

Calloway County ... when Pookie Jones was there and a couple of years beyond that

Mercer County ... left there to join Mumme's staff at UK

 

Franklin was a Mayfield assistant in 1995, the year the Cardinals beat Beechwood for the Class A state title. He added some spread plays to the offense that proved invaluable for the Cardinals that year.

I am not an Auburn fan and have never been one, nor am I a fan of Tuberville ... and will gladly go back to not being one again.

 

Pretty crappy, to push out the offensive coordinator, then hire another one and let him go in the middle of the season. From what I saw of Auburn, they didn't have real good personnel to run Franklin's system, plus I suspect his play-calling was limited a bit by Tuberville.

 

Franklin will land on his feet somewhere ... he always does.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.