Dick Vitale has CATS at #24

GO CATS

You are obviously mistaken, Pitino had no part in the 1998 Championship team. I believe he was in Boston at the time. I'm not sure but a .770ish winning % isn't winning is it?

No, you are mistaken to think that the man that assembeled the team has no influence on said team. Pitino was more a part of the 98 team than Tubby. He coached the seniors for 3 years, the juniors for 2 and the sophomores as much as Tubby did. More coaching was done for that team by Pitino than Tubby. Now let's think back for a minute........do you vividly recall that season? I do.

Here is the roster for that team with the one player Tubby brought in:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/roster1997-98.html

Early in the season, Tubby had them playing more of his style of ball. Defensive in nature. They took a few losses. Early in the new year(98) the team turned their style back to Pitino ball and never lost again. Please, go watch some video. It's pretty obvious. Pitino even redshirted Sheppard between his junior and senior years to have some leadership for a 98 run. Do you remember the press conference? I do. You could see by the look on Sheps face he didn't want to RS. No my fellow UK fan, Rick was as much a part of the 98 team if not more so than OTS. Heck, the best thing OTS did in that tournament run was to NOT call a time out against Duke when Coach Krylikeagirlski was out of them and his players were gassed. Duke had royally kicked our rears to the tune of an early second half 18 point lead by the Blue Devils until that deep bench OTS was left with(minus Saul) came back. Again, go watch the video and you'll see.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Pitino a part of the 1998 Championship team? No, that's what I thought. I don't blame Tubby for leaving. UK fans simply put to much pressure on coaches to win ever year. He'll turn Minnesota into a contender for the Big 10 every single year within 2-3 years. That's something they could never say before he got there. His record speaks for his self. He may not fit at a program where they expect a national title every season, but he's one of the best x's and o's coaches in the game.

As a die hard UK fan I do NOT expect UK to win the title every year. I do expect them to be competitive year in and year out exactly how a top program should. And yes.... a final four atleast once every 8-10 years is NOT out of question, since before Tubby we had done that.

No, you are mistaken to think that the man that assembeled the team has no influence on said team. Pitino was more a part of the 98 team than Tubby. He coached the seniors for 3 years, the juniors for 2 and the sophomores as much as Tubby did. More coaching was done for that team by Pitino than Tubby. Now let's think back for a minute........do you vividly recall that season? I do.

Early in the season, Tubby had them playing more of his style of ball. Defensive in nature. They took a few losses. Early in the new year(98) the team turned their style back to Pitino ball and never lost again. .

Are you referring to the players only meeting held in Feb?

Early in the season, Tubby had them playing more of his style of ball. Defensive in nature. They took a few losses. Early in the new year(98) the team turned their style back to Pitino ball and never lost again. Please, go watch some video. It's pretty obvious. Pitino even redshirted Sheppard between his junior and senior years to have some leadership for a 98 run. Do you remember the press conference? I do. You could see by the look on Sheps face he didn't want to RS. No my fellow UK fan, Rick was as much a part of the 98 team if not more so than OTS. Heck, the best thing OTS did in that tournament run was to NOT call a time out against Duke when Coach Krylikeagirlski was out of them and his players were gassed. Duke had royally kicked our rears to the tune of an early second half 18 point lead by the Blue Devils until that deep bench OTS was left with(minus Saul) came back. Again, go watch the video and you'll see.

:laugh:

As a die hard UK fan I do NOT expect UK to win the title every year. I do expect them to be competitive year in and year out exactly how a top program should. And yes.... a final four atleast once every 8-10 years is NOT out of question, since before Tubby we had done that.

I'll agree that Tubby failed to make it to the final four enough. He has always underachieved in the tournament, but how is 26 wins per season not being competitive year in and year out?

I'll agree that Tubby failed to make it to the final four enough. He has always underachieved in the tournament, but how is 26 wins per season not being competitive year in and year out?

Didn't you answer your own question?

Here's some interesting info for you too.

Average wins:

All ten seasons (98-07): 26.3

Last eight seaons (00-07): 25.0

Last three seasons (05-07): 24.0

Last two seasons (06-07): 22.0

Didn't you answer your own question?

Here's some interesting info for you too.

Average wins:

All ten seasons (98-07): 26.3

Last eight seaons (00-07): 25.0

Last three seasons (05-07): 24.0

Last two seasons (06-07): 22.0

What question would that be? To be honest i'm not sure how this thread got on Tubby. I'm simply defending him. It's obvious his teams underachieved in post season but that doesn't take anything away from his regular season success at every stop he's made.

What question would that be? To be honest i'm not sure how this thread got on Tubby. I'm simply defending him. It's obvious his teams underachieved in post season but that doesn't take anything away from his regular season success at every stop he's made.

I agree that this is off topic, but underachieving in the tourney = not being competitive. And regular season success was diminishing as well.