How Long Until Club Soccer Eclipses Prep Soccer

Was reading the in the Enquirer's Prep Sports Blog about Milford soccer player Alyssa Rich, who has for 2 years snubbed her high schools soccer team and instead elected to play for Ohio Elite.

I realize right now she is the exception, but how long will it be for this is more common?

For the record Rich is probably the top girls player in Cincinnati and is heading to to the women's soccer factory at Chapel Hill.

You will see more of it, although only at the top clubs with the extremely talented players that have weaker high school teams. I do not think it will eclipse high school as a large part of the reason kids play high level club in the winter/spring is for exposure to college coaches who attend these huge showcase events. College coaches are able to see 100's of kids at these events in one weekend. That does not happen in the fall as the college coaches are also in their own season and have little time for scouting.

There was a KHSAA rules proposal a couple of years ago that would have led to more of these situations. I do not remember the exact proposal but it would have prevented Ky high school ahtletes from playing other organized sports (club sports) until after the scholastic year had ended.

This would have required both club soccer and volleyball players to choose one or the other. The intent of the proposal was to get athletes to participate in more HS sports rather than specializing and playing one sport year round. Thankfully it did not pass! I think it would have had a detrimental effect on HS athletics as more athletes would have chosen their club teams over their HS teams because of the exposure to college coaches, scholarships and to play on stronger teams at a more national level.

More and more 8th graders are playing club and freshman. Club takes precedence over school ball at the younger ages. Club soccer is more competitive than freshman and sometimes JV games. Highlands has 7th graders on freshman and there not the only ones. Last year I heard a parent say after her son was hurt on the field that she hoped it wasn't bad because his club team had a big tournament that weekend.

You will see more of it, although only at the top clubs with the extremely talented players that have weaker high school teams. I do not think it will eclipse high school as a large part of the reason kids play high level club in the winter/spring is for exposure to college coaches who attend these huge showcase events. College coaches are able to see 100's of kids at these events in one weekend. That does not happen in the fall as the college coaches are also in their own season and have little time for scouting.

At programs like HHS, and NDA it won't happen, but programs that have a special young player who has a ton of talent but lacks other players to play with her, there you will see it happen and I couldn't blame the player!

At programs like HHS, and NDA it won't happen, but programs that have a special young player who has a ton of talent but lacks other players to play with her, there you will see it happen and I couldn't blame the player!

Jack said it did happen at Highlands. I would be curious as to whether anyone can verify this. I would like to know the circumstances.

It did not happen at Highlands this year. Highlands has a very talented Sophmore that simply elected to not play high school soccer. She is not playing club ball this fall but will return to her KSA team in the winter and spring seasons. Highlands had a few other talented freshman/sophmores/Juniors elect to not play high school soccer this season. Just found other interests, nothing wrong with that, happens at every school.

It did not happen at Highlands this year. Highlands has a very talented Sophmore that simply elected to not play high school soccer. She is not playing club ball this fall but will return to her KSA team in the winter and spring seasons. Highlands had a few other talented freshman/sophmores/Juniors elect to not play high school soccer this season. Just found other interests, nothing wrong with that, happens at every school.

So there was a very talented player who chose not play high school soccer or club soccer? That sounds strange.

So there was a very talented player who chose not play high school soccer or club soccer? That sounds strange.
I can definitelly see the thought process. Club soccer is a totally different world that high school soccer. There is so much more competition and exposure that the girls can get. However, nothing can take away the experience and memories you make of playing with your high school friends and team mates.