Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elite Football Programs

Featured Replies

^ I had forgot to put Tennessee in Bold as one of the most elite in my post above.

  • Replies 92
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In no certain order and imo one has to look at history and traditions as well as the present and the coaches to be named elite.......

 

Alabama

Notre Dame

Ohio State

USC

Florida State

Penn State

Michigan

Florida

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Nebraska

LSU

Miami, Fla.

Tennessee

 

The most "elite" of that group imo (again, thorugh the years as well as now and in no certain order).....are highlighted in bold and the others isted are very close to the "bold" as well imo.

 

:thumb::thumb:

^ I had forgot to put Tennessee in Bold as one of the most elite in my post above.

 

LSU and Florida having won the last two titles have to be included.

I think Tennessee goes in that group too.

 

I agree.

  • Author

What about elite 1-AA (or whatever they're called now) programs? Middle Tenn, Georgia Southern, Eastern Ky, Marshall (although they have moved up) off they top of my head? I just thought of Grambling. Name some others or disagree with these!

i am going to stay in my favorite conference and have too add Wisconsin to these lists. They may be the most unappreciated program in the country. Other than the OSU game that is who i get the most nervous to see the Wolverines play.

What about elite 1-AA (or whatever they're called now) programs? Middle Tenn, Georgia Southern, Eastern Ky, Marshall (although they have moved up) off they top of my head? I just thought of Grambling. Name some others or disagree with these!
1996 Marshall team was hands down the best 1AA team ever.
There has been a lot of talk about the "elite" college football programs. I was just interested to see what programs people see as being elite. Make a list. I'll start it with mine and this is just off the top of my head so I know I will leave some out!

USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Florida State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Nebraska, Penn State, Miami, Colorado, and Arizona.

I know some of these are questionable....thats the reason I put them on the list. Anyway, here is a list of 20. Do you agree? Disagree??:thumb:

 

I agree with every team but the last two. Colorado and Arizona have a total of 1 national championship. I don't see them on the level as USC, Florida, Ohio State, and Michigan.

1996 Marshall team was hands down the best 1AA team ever.

I always have a problem with that team because if I recall correctly, they had more scholarships as they were getting ready to move to I-A the next year. Because of how dominant that team was in the transition phase, future teams moving up were/are not allowed to compete in the I-AA playoffs. Great team, but they had a clear advantage.

I always have a problem with that team because if I recall correctly, they had more scholarships as they were getting ready to move to I-A the next year. Because of how dominant that team was in the transition phase, future teams moving up were/are not allowed to compete in the I-AA playoffs. Great team, but they had a clear advantage.

The clear advantage wasn't in roster size, it was in about 10 guys that played in the NFL...

The clear advantage wasn't in roster size, it was in about 10 guys that played in the NFL...

Most people forget that this team was so good Chad Pennington took a red shirt this year after starting the year before as a true freshman.

  • Author
I agree with every team but the last two. Colorado and Arizona have a total of 1 national championship. I don't see them on the level as USC, Florida, Ohio State, and Michigan.

 

I really dont think so either. I was just trying to get 20 teams on my list!:thumb:

  • Author
I always have a problem with that team because if I recall correctly, they had more scholarships as they were getting ready to move to I-A the next year. Because of how dominant that team was in the transition phase, future teams moving up were/are not allowed to compete in the I-AA playoffs. Great team, but they had a clear advantage.

 

I didnt know that!!

In no certain order and imo one has to look at history and traditions as well as the present and the coaches to be named elite.......

 

Alabama

Notre Dame

Ohio State

USC

Florida State

Penn State

Michigan

Florida

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Nebraska

LSU

Miami, Fla.

Tennessee

 

The most "elite" of that group imo (again, thorugh the years as well as now and in no certain order).....are highlighted in bold and the others isted are very close to the "bold" as well imo.

 

I like this list.:thumb: Notre Dame SHOULD have 13 National Titles:mad:

If I want to see the elite teams I look at the top ten. These lists are just historic teams that are still relevant.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.