Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elite Football Programs

Featured Replies

There has been a lot of talk about the "elite" college football programs. I was just interested to see what programs people see as being elite. Make a list. I'll start it with mine and this is just off the top of my head so I know I will leave some out!

USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Florida State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Nebraska, Penn State, Miami, Colorado, and Arizona.

I know some of these are questionable....thats the reason I put them on the list. Anyway, here is a list of 20. Do you agree? Disagree??:thumb:

  • Replies 92
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notre Dame

Alabama

USC

Michigan

Ohio St

Oklahoma

Miami

Nebraska

LSU

Texas

  • Author
Notre Dame

Alabama

USC

Michigan

Ohio St

Oklahoma

Miami

Nebraska

LSU

Texas

 

Florida State? Penn State?

Florida State? Penn State?

 

Penn St - Yes

 

Florida St. - No

There has been a lot of talk about the "elite" college football programs. I was just interested to see what programs people see as being elite. Make a list. I'll start it with mine and this is just off the top of my head so I know I will leave some out!

USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Florida State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Nebraska, Penn State, Miami, Colorado, and Arizona.

I know some of these are questionable....thats the reason I put them on the list. Anyway, here is a list of 20. Do you agree? Disagree??:thumb:

 

Really?

It depends on whether you are talking about historically or the present. Notre Dame and Miami are not elite at the moment. Neither is Pitt. But hisotrically all 3 are on the list.

Some teams have an elite name but aren't playing on an elite level. Such as Miami, Florida State, Nebraska, and Alabama. Imo Penn St ain't playing at an elite level either. They have been good but not elite imo.

Off the top of my head...

 

Michigan

Ohio State

Texas

USC

LSU

Georgia

Florida

West Virginia

Oklahoma

Off the top of my head...

 

Michigan

Ohio State

Texas

USC

LSU

Georgia

Florida

West Virginia

Oklahoma

 

Historically or present?? Present right?

  • Author
Really?

 

As for Arizona and Colorado, I was trying to get to 20 schools and I ran out. However, these programs have played some dang good football over the years. And I will admit to being biased toward Colorado because I love seeing that big buffalo run on the field. Those type of things is what college football is all about!!:thumb:

Historically or present?? Present right?

 

Yes, present.

Some teams have an elite name but aren't playing on an elite level. Such as Miami, Florida State, Nebraska, and Alabama. Imo Penn St ain't playing at an elite level either. They have been good but not elite imo.

 

I think Tennessee goes in that group too.

Penn St - Yes

 

Florida St. - No

 

If you're talking present, then no, FSU is not. But then again, neither is Alabama, Nebraska, or Miami from your previous list, and it'd be a tossup whether Notre Dame is on there. If you're talking historically, then FSU is most definitely elite.

If you're talking present, then no, FSU is not. But then again, neither is Alabama, Nebraska, or Miami from your previous list, and it'd be a tossup whether Notre Dame is on there. If you're talking historically, then FSU is most definitely elite.

 

Not really, other than earnings power, there is nothing currently elite about the Notre Dame football program. Weis has been recruiting fairly well, so hopefully soon.

In no certain order and imo one has to look at history and traditions as well as the present and the coaches to be named elite.......

 

Alabama

Notre Dame

Ohio State

USC

Florida State

Penn State

Michigan

Florida

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Nebraska

LSU

Miami, Fla.

Tennessee

 

The most "elite" of that group imo (again, thorugh the years as well as now and in no certain order).....are highlighted in bold and the others isted are very close to the "bold" as well imo.

Edited by oldrambler

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.