Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Liggins

Featured Replies

The shameful thing is that now we are looking at and signing kids that may or may not be eligible to play. Does the term 'student athlete' not mean anything anymore? Not dissing Billy Clyde, ... I like him as a coach. But hopefully these kids will start to realize that they better keep their grades up and focus on the testing to get the opportunity to play in college.

 

He doesn't coach an Academic Team. His job is to win the SEC, win 20+ games, and get to the Final Four.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The shameful thing is that now we are looking at and signing kids that may or may not be eligible to play. Does the term 'student athlete' not mean anything anymore? Not dissing Billy Clyde, ... I like him as a coach. But hopefully these kids will start to realize that they better keep their grades up and focus on the testing to get the opportunity to play in college.

 

Gillispie said himself he has never had a kid not get eligible. Hes not been a head coach for a long time, but for long enough to say this isn't the norm. I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions about 1 kid.

He doesn't coach an Academic Team. His job is to win the SEC, win 20+ games, and get to the Final Four.

 

Exactly!

He doesn't coach an Academic Team. His job is to win the SEC, win 20+ games, and get to the Final Four.

 

But they are 'student athletes'. ;) If UK had a pro team, so be it.

 

Don't get me wrong, I like Gillispie, I think he was the right choice when Tubby left and will continue to support him. I am just troubled by targeting kids that may not be eligible to even play for the University.

and we ripped Tubby for not going after these players:confused:

 

Not I. But I still support and will continue to support Billy Clyde. I just question going after kids for a college team that may not even get into the college.

I don't know their situations exactly so someone can clarify, but I am pretty sure that Walter McCarty and Marquis Estill were both ineligible as freshmen because of academics. Both of those guys turned out well. I don't know about Estill, but McCarty has done really well for himself.

I remember the mess McCarty was in. He wasn't even allowed around the team his freshman year. He did sing the National Anthem at a game, though.

  • Author

What the general public doesn't really understand is that most of the issues come before the kid is a "big time recruit". As a freshman and usually sophomore most of these guys are nothing more than normal kids lost in the shuffle of inner city schools and broken homes...

Marquis was ineligble his freshman year, didn't have the ACT score, his GPA was okay however. In all honesty, he needed that year to drop some weight and heal up his knees from injuries his senior year. He turned out to be a very solid college player though. :thumb:

What the general public doesn't really understand is that most of the issues come before the kid is a "big time recruit". As a freshman and usually sophomore most of these guys are nothing more than normal kids lost in the shuffle of inner city schools and broken homes...

 

Kind of what I was going to say GT :thumb:

 

Also, if I were a high school kid who had trouble with grades and a big time college were recruiting me, I'm sure I'd work my tail off to get the grades I needed.

 

Who knows, had UK and some other large colleges not taken a chance and recruited Liggins he may not even be heading towards a college of any sort right now.Chances to play division 1 ball don't come around often. Maybe being recruited by a few big name colleges opened his eyes to the opportunities he had ahead of him.

Kind of what I was going to say GT :thumb:

 

Also, if I were a high school kid who had trouble with grades and a big time college were recruiting me, I'm sure I'd work my tail off to get the grades I needed.

 

Who knows, had UK and some other large colleges not taken a chance and recruited Liggins he may not even be heading towards a college of any sort right now.Chances to play division 1 ball don't come around often. Maybe being recruited by a few big name colleges opened his eyes to the opportunities he had ahead of him.

 

Or maybe the kid isn't cut out for school. There are plenty of kids who don't go on to a 4-year college. It's not always due to lack of effort, unfortunately.

Or maybe the kid isn't cut out for school. There are plenty of kids who don't go on to a 4-year college. It's not always due to lack of effort, unfortunately.

 

Unless something shady has gone on behind the scene, I think we can all easily see that Liggins put in the effort. It's not like he took the test once and gave up.

 

The point I was trying to make is that maybe schools as large as UK recruiting him made him realize that if he was willing to put in the work, he had a chance to make something out of himself.

I remember the mess McCarty was in. He wasn't even allowed around the team his freshman year. He did sing the National Anthem at a game, though.

 

McCarty was a prop 48.

Unless something shady has gone on behind the scene, I think we can all easily see that Liggins put in the effort. It's not like he took the test once and gave up.

 

The point I was trying to make is that maybe schools as large as UK recruiting him made him realize that if he was willing to put in the work, he had a chance to make something out of himself.

Tests are easy, especially when the prospect of a full ride to a basketball-obsessed college is dangling right before your eyes. Working on maintaining your GPA when that's just a dream that's still four years away is much tougher.

I read two guys only on the net for information. Both are saying that Liggins and Galloway will be good to go. These guys have a great track record over the years. I have found a 3rd recently that seems to be very solid as well. Time will tell.

 

The clearinghouse was wondering how Liggins grades inproved so quickly. Apparently the young man has some learing disabilty and that is why he had to prep. As for Galloway, his issue is with UK admissions...not the NCAA.

 

Trust Billy. All will be good.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.