Throwing at batters.

Coop,

The rules book states that the catcher has to stay in the box until the time of the pitch. The correct interpretion for time of pitch is once a pitcher starts his motion (makes any movement of his arms and/or legs and is committed to pitch). At that time, the catcher can move to the side (out of the catcher's box if there is one) without a balk or illegal pitch being called. Time of pitch is not after he releases the ball.

For OBR? Do you have a rule cite on this for me? I'm kind of a rules nut (not saying I'm a "good" one, just a curious one ;)) and I've always been under the impression that the only time a catcher was obligated to be in his box at the time of the pitch was for an IBB.

My understanding for FED is that which you have written above.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is part of the game! Period. To many people wanting to change the game and the way it has been played for years. As long as the integrity of the game is preserved and people are not getting hurt leave it alone. There are exceptions to every rule and if we had kids in armor plated uniforms eventually someone would get hurt so I know there are instances that throwing at a hitter may have backfired but it is still part of the game.

I agree totally, People keep changing the way the game has been played for for decades, but all of a sudden our little generation comes along and suddenly knows better than the people who played the game at its best.

Leave the game alone!!!!!

I agree totally, People keep changing the way the game has been played for for decades, but all of a sudden our little generation comes along and suddenly knows better than the people who played the game at its best.

And you're certain that the generation before us encouraged their little leaguers and high schoolers to intentionally throw at their hitters? :rolleyes:

I played a lot of baseball when I was younger. Don't remember my knothole coach or high school coach telling me to do this.

I caught a game this past fall where there was a player from the opposite team that was literally lined up behind the plate. I called an inside pitch to either jam him or back him off. The pitcher wasn't accurate enough and hit him. Next inning our pitcher got up and the kid who had had decent control all day threw it a couple miles faster and hit him at about the shoulder. 3 or 4 innings later we had the same kid that overcrowded the plate up and I called low and away. The ball clearly slipped from our pitchers hand and went behind the kid. The organization running the league immediately turned to our coach and said this is the last inning.

And you're certain that the generation before us encouraged their little leaguers and high schoolers to intentionally throw at their hitters? :rolleyes:

I played a lot of baseball when I was younger. Don't remember my knothole coach or high school coach telling me to do this.

I played knothole and high school ball in Cincinnati and if you didnt throw at the batter in a squeeze play you would be on the bench re-evaluating what why you didnt pull through for your team. Nobody is trying to hurt anyone. It is just part of the game. In football if a punt returner doesnt give the fair catch signal does the other team barely tackle him? The answer is NO they hit him as hard as they can. Do they feel bad when he gets carried off the field? Maybe, but it is part of the game.

I was pitching a game in the summer time and one of my teammates hit a ball to centerfield he took a big turn, with the catcher coming up behind him the centerfielder threw the ball to first and the catcher (with all his equipment on) dove on my teammate and kneeed him in the head and tagged him HARD. My teammate told me to throw at him the next inning and my coach said it was up to me. I decided to hit him and when i came back to the dugout after that half inning my coach (old school player) told me he was proud that I stuck up for my team.

I was pitching a game in the summer time and one of my teammates hit a ball to centerfield he took a big turn, with the catcher coming up behind him the centerfielder threw the ball to first and the catcher (with all his equipment on) dove on my teammate and kneeed him in the head and tagged him HARD. My teammate told me to throw at him the next inning and my coach said it was up to me. I decided to hit him and when i came back to the dugout after that half inning my coach (old school player) told me he was proud that I stuck up for my team.

So the catcher's unsportsmanlike behavior begets your unsportsmanlike behavior which begets yet another retaliatory unsportsmanlike action which begets . . . . all over a game involving kids. Pro game - sure. It's people's careers you're talking about and a business to boot. High school age and younger? Sorry, I don't see it. At the end of the day, it's a game. And WAY too many people lose sight of this fact.

You did the right thing. I know two wrongs dont make a right but this was obviously something the other teams catcher did to make a statement. You just happened to finish it for him. Good Job

So the catcher's unsportsmanlike behavior begets your unsportsmanlike behavior which begets yet another retaliatory unsportsmanlike action which begets . . . . all over a game involving kids. Pro game - sure. It's people's careers you're talking about and a business to boot. High school age and younger? Sorry, I don't see it. At the end of the day, it's a game. And WAY too many people lose sight of this fact.

:thumb:

I couldn't have said it better myself...

It is a game, but coming together with your team and having each other's backs is part of that game. I don't see a problem with plunking a guy for a legit reason. At the same time, I don't blame anyone who has the philosophy of not hitting batters. If I played for a coach that didn't agree with it, then I'd listen to him and I wouldn't hit them. If he gave me the OK then if I thought the other players actions warranted it then I would.

How many people do you think get to the next level without supporting their teammates on this level. If you are not willing to take what comes with playing at your current level then maybe you shouldnt be playing there.

:thumb:

I couldn't have said it better myself...

I know how we can stop this. Lets dont keep score because were all winners here. This way nobody will lose the game and feelings or players wont get hurt. What a generation we are.

For OBR? Do you have a rule cite on this for me? I'm kind of a rules nut (not saying I'm a "good" one, just a curious one ;)) and I've always been under the impression that the only time a catcher was obligated to be in his box at the time of the pitch was for an IBB.

My understanding for FED is that which you have written above.

Generally I deal with NCAA and Fed but I checked the online OBR and besides the IBB reference (with a balk as the penalty), the only thing I could find was in the 2.00 Definitions (Catcher's Box) stating the catcher had to be in the box at the time of the pitch. No penalty was specified. It may not be mandatory. I don't know if you remember the time about 10 years ago that the catcher's balk was called on Javy Lopez (Braves) when he was sitting up outside and one foot was outside the catcher's box. The rule might have been changed since that time. There is probably an interpretation in Jaksa-Roder but I don't have a copy... To sum up, I don't know for sure. :D

I know how we can stop this. Lets dont keep score because were all winners here. This way nobody will lose the game and feelings or players wont get hurt. What a generation we are.

Calm down, Humpy....we're talking about AMATEUR baseball (and on this forum, HS baseball specifically). 98% of HS pitchers do not have the skill to put the high and tight pitch in the right place to protect against the squeeze so why take a chance on severely injuring someone. And as far as plunking someone, a pitch behind them sends the same message (don't tread on me) without fear of injury. You can't run over the catcher like they do in the pros either without being ejected or suspended.The pros is a wholly different animal with a different set of customs and if you can't see that..well.... You need to chill son...you've got some anger management issues...:irked: