Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Throwing at batters.

Featured Replies

.... :thumb: I've been around a lot of Baseball myself and I can recall, seeing 1 pitchout on a squeeze and yes, it worked. Other than that, the 'ole adage of up/in, has always been the procedure. The problem results in, when a pitcher is going from a windup, rather than a stretch. He must rely on the verbal communication, rather than visual.

 

A pitchout still allows the batter to extend and get the ball down. The site reflex and muscle memory take over, when a pitch is traveling up and in.

 

I guess we can agree to disagree...on the amateur level, it's a fine line between getting the ball up and in enough to keep from getting the bunt down without coming dangerously close to the batter's head. I've seen kids this year try to bunt the ball right in front of their face (and thank goodness, they made contact without having a richochet go off their face). Your scenario assumes that they will hit the dirt. It's too dangerous with the level of control that most amateur pitchers have (particularly when I feel that a pitchout is a safer way to accomplish the same goal and develop teamwork at the same time.). But, as the French say, "vive la differance". :D

  • Replies 102
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a middle school game this year a player hit a homerun, the next batter up was hit in the side with a fast ball. If I had to do it over again I would have ejected the pitcher.

I guess we can agree to disagree...on the amateur level, it's a fine line between getting the ball up and in enough to keep from getting the bunt down without coming dangerously close to the batter's head. I've seen kids this year try to bunt the ball right in front of their face (and thank goodness, they made contact without having a richochet go off their face). Your scenario assumes that they will hit the dirt. It's too dangerous with the level of control that most amateur pitchers have (particularly when I feel that a pitchout is a safer way to accomplish the same goal and develop teamwork at the same time.). But, as the French say, "vive la differance". :D
Keep in mind, I never said face but said up/in. It's a natural instinct, to move out of the way on a pitch thrown up/in, for most. Some will keep the head in but most, will pull back and miss contact.

 

I do agree with you on the safe option, that a pitchout creates.

 

In a middle school game this year a player hit a homerun, the next batter up was hit in the side with a fast ball. If I had to do it over again I would have ejected the pitcher.
When a pitcher throws at a batter, after a HR. Warning or toss, I agree 100%.
Keep in mind, I never said face but said up/in. It's a natural instinct, to move out of the way on a pitch thrown up/in, for most. Some will keep the head in but most, will pull back and miss contact.

 

I do agree with you on the safe option, that a pitchout creates.

 

When a pitcher throws at a batter, after a HR. Warning or toss, I agree 100%.

 

Guys,

At the middle school level, I'm not sure that most pitchers could hit a batter if they tried. You have to look at the level of play and use common sense. I believe that most HS pitchers do not have enough control to consistently put the up-and-in pitch in the right place to prevent the squeeze without endangering the batter. I have seen the pitchout work on the D3 level and in higher level HS games. Why go up-and-in and take a chance when there is a equally effective and safer way of accomplishing the same thing? But, JMO.

During one my pitching performances in high school the opposing coach told the umpire I was wearing a wrist brace. So, as the rules go, I was forced to take it off. Next batter up, plunk. Just the way it goes...

I guess we can agree to disagree...on the amateur level, it's a fine line between getting the ball up and in enough to keep from getting the bunt down without coming dangerously close to the batter's head. I've seen kids this year try to bunt the ball right in front of their face (and thank goodness, they made contact without having a richochet go off their face). Your scenario assumes that they will hit the dirt. It's too dangerous with the level of control that most amateur pitchers have (particularly when I feel that a pitchout is a safer way to accomplish the same goal and develop teamwork at the same time.). But, as the French say, "vive la differance". :D

 

Agree with you whole-heartedly, KyFedUmp. I don't see the need to throw at the hitter in high school/amateur ball. A pitchout can be just as effective to defense a suicide and yes, a catcher, can move out of the box early as you stated (K3, I believe you are thinking about intentional base on ball scenario). A pitchout is just as effective at this level because not only would it be very difficult to bunt, but could also cause the hitter to make contact with the ball with his foot outside the box (automatic out). Balls thrown directly at the hitter can still be bunted, so at the amateur level why take the chance of getting a kid injured? You know what the kid is going to do - he's going to try to bunt the ball as he's been instructed and therefore stands a reasonable chance of getting hurt. If we were talking college or pro ball, that's a different matter. But high school ball - I just don't see the need for it and could never instruct one of my high school age pitchers to intentionally throw at a hitter.

During one my pitching performances in high school the opposing coach told the umpire I was wearing a wrist brace. So, as the rules go, I was forced to take it off. Next batter up, plunk. Just the way it goes...

 

Why?

During one my pitching performances in high school the opposing coach told the umpire I was wearing a wrist brace. So, as the rules go, I was forced to take it off. Next batter up, plunk. Just the way it goes...

 

Or . . . you could have made a statement to the opposing coach - to whom your annoyance was actually intended - by striking out the hitter on three pitches.

Well I had a situation where my player that was stealing 2nd base was tagged with a little more force than should of been and was hit hard enough his helmet fell off. Next thing I know my pitcher and catcher ask if we could hit him the next time up and I said it was up to them and of course next time the kid came to the plate we plunked them in the thigh. The kid knew it was coming and just smiled as he went to 1st base and it was over. I felt my kids just wanted to protect their teammate from a dirty play and I see nothing wrong with it. You all will disagree but little things like that bring my team together.

What about if a team is stealing bases with the game out of hand? How else would you get even without plunking someone? Below the shoulders, of course.

Well I had a situation where my player that was stealing 2nd base was tagged with a little more force than should of been and was hit hard enough his helmet fell off. Next thing I know my pitcher and catcher ask if we could hit him the next time up and I said it was up to them and of course next time the kid came to the plate we plunked them in the thigh. The kid knew it was coming and just smiled as he went to 1st base and it was over. I felt my kids just wanted to protect their teammate from a dirty play and I see nothing wrong with it. You all will disagree but little things like that bring my team together.

 

That could also start a fight...sometimes these kids don't understand the tit for tat thing...

Agree with you whole-heartedly, KyFedUmp. I don't see the need to throw at the hitter in high school/amateur ball. A pitchout can be just as effective to defense a suicide and yes, a catcher, can move out of the box early as you stated (K3, I believe you are thinking about intentional base on ball scenario). A pitchout is just as effective at this level because not only would it be very difficult to bunt, but could also cause the hitter to make contact with the ball with his foot outside the box (automatic out). Balls thrown directly at the hitter can still be bunted, so at the amateur level why take the chance of getting a kid injured? You know what the kid is going to do - he's going to try to bunt the ball as he's been instructed and therefore stands a reasonable chance of getting hurt. If we were talking college or pro ball, that's a different matter. But high school ball - I just don't see the need for it and could never instruct one of my high school age pitchers to intentionally throw at a hitter.

 

Coop,

The same rules applies to the IBB. Once, the pitcher starts his windup, the catcher can move outside the box (and not till he releases the ball as a lot of people think).

Coop,

The same rules applies to the IBB. Once, the pitcher starts his windup, the catcher can move outside the box (and not till he releases the ball as a lot of people think).

 

I beleive there is a difference in OBR and FED rules in this area. In OBR, there is no such requirement for the catcher to be in the box at the time of the time unless the pitcher is intentionally walking a hitter. In FED, anytime the catcher is out of the box when the ball is pitched (IBB or otherwise), it is an Illegal Pitch (ball with no one on, and a balk with runners on). Is this not correct?

The old rule was to throw at their head in that situation, but now I am hearing that you need to aim at their feet or legs.

 

My pitching coach in high school used to tell me to throw at their heads but that was back in the 80's. Times have obviously changed. I do not condone ever throwing at a batter intentionally though.

 

With that said, I unintentionally once hit 3 in a row during a knothole game and it was against a pretty rough group of kids. Needless to say they were not very happy when I plunked the third one in the same innning. Wasnt my day.

I know a couple of coaches in the 10th region that have said throw at them if they are attempting to bunt. Thorobred should be able to enlighten us on this subject.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.