Bill Maher is a bigot and like Don Imus he should be fired

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only diference, IMO, is that racial discrimination is a big deal in the media, and religious discrimination is not.

While I do not want to get way off topic, this is an excellent statement and something that is completely true. This would make for an excellent thread.

Tongue in cheek, guys ...

So that makes it acceptable?

And I'm not so sure that it was tongue in cheek. Maher is anti-Catholic. He has mocked the traditions, he has mocked the rituals and he has labeled the entire religion a cult. How can that not be construed as anti-Catholic?

"I'd like to tip off law enforcement to an even larger child abusing religious cult"

How can that in way way, shape or form not be considered a condemnation of the entire religion?

I'm sure what Don Imus said was done so "tongue in cheek" does that make it any less offensive?

I read an article somewhere (I'll try to find it again) that said the only two groups that it was still perfectly OK to stereotype and insult with impunity are poor Southerners and Catholics. Maher, on a regular basis, displays his contempt for both. I have never seen someone armed with such unmitigated contempt for so many people.

I could go on and on about the bold-faced lies and hateful comments contained in that brief clip, but I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

Like it or not, the Catholic Church has a real problem with perception with the way it handled things ... I don't hold the entire religion responsible, but the ones in charge have to shoulder some of the blame.

As if that somehow justifies the tirade of hatred he just spewed out his mouth (not for the first time) at the religion of more than one billion people? He also took the opportunity to accuse the Holy Father of being a Nazi. I shouldn't even get started on my contempt for the lightness with which that word is tossed around in this country; but saying it about a person who grew up in Germany during Hitler's tyranny, that cannot be taken lightly.

His supposed tongue-in-cheek bit conceals a very real hatred. He should be called out on it and so should HBO. I don't think he should be pulled off the air, I'm merely suggesting that he should have to hear about it and face up to the people he insults every night.

I have felt this way for some time now. People that I know who are not Catholic (and are from very Catholic parts of the country) are baffled when I talk of this sort of thing. I don't understand how they can't notice it sometimes, but then again I am probably a bit more sensitive to it.

I think that can be true in a lot of these cases. It's what you are sensitive to that makes it okay or terrible. At least that's what I've observed.

I read an article somewhere (I'll try to find it again) that said the only two groups that it was still perfectly OK to stereotype and insult with impunity are poor Southerners and Catholics. Maher, on a regular basis, displays his contempt for both. I have never seen someone armed with such unmitigated contempt for so many people.

I could go on and on about the bold-faced lies and hateful comments contained in that brief clip, but I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

Actually I've seen as much or more villification of evangelical Christians and Fundamentalist Christians as I have Catholic bashing. It's usually based on if it's "your ox getting gored" that you tend to notice how often and vitriolic it becomes.

So that gives Maher license to condemn the entire religion?

How long is this allowable?

If I started a blog condemming all Southern Baptists as slave holding sympathisers would that be acceptable? After all the Southern Baptists did defend slavery.

Not to mention segregation until it was forced upon them.

He called the Pope a Nazi.

He is lower than Rosie O'Donnell, he is toe lint, pond scum. Anyone in this thread who tries to justify it unfortunately loses all credibility with me.

:thumb: Bingo! I'm waiting for someone to defend that one. Maher is nothing but a moron and has NEVER been funny. He's seems to attract dimwitted, buffoons with zero morals IMO. Anyone remember when this boor concluded that dogs and mentally retarded children were cut from the same mold?