Best Teams not to win Sweet 16?

1976 Louisville Male with Griffith and Turner. They won the state the year before and lost to Ballard in the regional with basically the same team. Oh yea, Ballard went on to win the state in 1976 with Jeff Lamp scoring 43 in the championship game.

I think Edmonson County won it all in '76, but I may be wrong

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2008 Lex. Cath

2008 Cov Holmes

In my honest opinion, these were the two best Teams this year.

In my honest opinion absolutely not.

How many top 20 in state games did Mason Co. play this year ?

Also throw in a couple teams on a national level and a state title.......

:argue:

2004 Mason County; defending champs, Mr. Basketball. Probably a curfew away from repeating; although Warren Central did have a very nice team. I just don't think Whitney goes off if Mason has their entire team on the floor that night.

2008 Lex. Cath

2008 Cov Holmes

In my honest opinion, these were the two best Teams this year.

From logic class:

B (Bulldogs?) beats C (Catholic?).

M (Mason?) beats B.

Therefore...?

My only knock on Homes, and that was much earlier in the year, was that they had fashioned their record against a schedule that didn't compare to Mason's, Catholic's, et. al. They proved throughout the Sweet 16 that they belonged among the Commonwealth's elite, but the proof is in the pudding. Mason County had the best team.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.:thumb:

After the loss from LexCath I was wondering what teams would rank as best All-Time teams not to win the Sweet 16. I would have to go with 5 LexCath teams. My LexCath top 5 would be:

1. 97-98 (top 5 Team Nationally) - State Semifinals

2. 04-05 (top 10 Team Nationally) - Regional Finals

3. 07-08 (#22 Team Nation) - State Semifinals

4. 03-04 (Top 10 Team Nationally) - Regional Semis

5. 99-00 (??) - State Finals

I'm not sure about any other teams in the state just wondering what these teams would rank all-time.

Looks like either basketball karma has a problem with LexCath, or they have been under coached a lot in the last 10 years. ;)

Holmes, down by 1 shoots a shot at the horn which is blocked by a Shelby County players whose arm just happened to be straight up throught the rim. The most obvious goaltending ever, but it wasn't called.

I thought Holmes was down by two and the goal tend call would have sent the game into overtime?

It was an obvious goal tend and I'm sure Holmes would have taken their chances with three more minutes.

:thumb:

I think the nasty loss to Ballard that year can be atributed to the war they had with Paducah Tilghman in the semi's on Saturday morning...

I have to agree with this, and if I remember correctly, many people in attendance thought PT outplayed Scott County in the morning session. Seems like SC may have gotten several friendly whistles to even make the night session?

If that's correct, maybe the 99 Tilghman team should make the list.:thumb:

I'm not that old but I remember the LC team with Demetrius Green, Morton, Graham and Smith..tough breaks for that team. I believe Graham hurt his knee? Green had some problems off the court and then Lafayette took them down @ EKU.

Same here, didn't follow them closesly, but that team was pretty darn talented.

I thought Holmes was down by two and the goal tend call would have sent the game into overtime?

It was an obvious goal tend and I'm sure Holmes would have taken their chances with three more minutes.

It was in OT, but it wasn't a the final horn and they were either down 1 or tied at the time. Shelby ran the Christian Laettner play to send it to OT.