Best Teams not to win Sweet 16?

Scott Co. was loaded that year.:thumb:

Scott County 1999, Ranked as high as USA Today 3rd in Nation, only lost two games (both to Ballard, but also beat Ballard twice), Won the City of Palms (every team they beat went on to win their respective State Championship in Arkansas, Florida, and Kentucky).....flopped in State Championship game

Alumni Include;

Casey Alsop Junior Georgetown College

Rick Jones Senior Vandy Mr. Basketball

A.W. Hamiliton Senior Hargrave, Wake Forest, Marshall

Chris Wallace Senior Lee University

Bryant Harris Senior Played in Southern Alabama/Union College

Scott Hundley Junior Vandy Mr. Basketball

Nate Austin Sophmore Illinois Offered, got mixed up w/ wrong crowd

Not a bad squad, just never had a solid post, Ballard had Bender and Wilkerson(sp?)....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add:

1998 PRP with King, Paschel, and Griffin. All three of those were major players.

2001 Russellville with Key, Dickerson, Hampton, Morris, etc.

2004 Covington Catholic squad with the Votel twins, Nethseide, Tierney, etc. They lost to Warren Central on Saturday morning. They didn't have as much talent as the other two, but were as fundamentally sound and team oriented as any team I've seen in my past 10 years at Rupp.

This one is someone before my time, but the 1992 Clay County team had beaten both Lexington Catholic and UHA in regular season play before being upset by Catholic on Saturday morning. That team included Shannon Hoskins, Todd Messer, Mark Jason Smith, etc.

1998 PRP with King, Paschel, and Griffin. All three of those were major players.
Actually, it was 1999, when all three were seniors. Paducah Tilghman rallied from a 21-7 deficit and beat the Panthers in the quarterfinals.

Kevin Paschel played at Murray State and Duane King went to Penn. Mike Griffith (wasn't he Darrell Griffith's son or nephew?) signed at East Tennessee State.

How about Hazard in 1986? The year they got robbed versus PRP.

This game has to be the worst officiated game in the history of the KHSAA state tournament. There was almost a riot after the game, with programs, ice, etc..littering the floor. I know officials are suppose to have the best angles on calls, but 15,000 fans as irate as those that day can't all be wrong. They had angles from every part of the arena. I don't usually come down hard on refs, but the crew that day should be ashamed of themselves, particularly the one from Western Kentucky who swallowed his whistle several times late in the game when PRP obviously fouled Hazard players, especially on wide open layup calls. I'm not a Hazard fan but what happened on that day was an injustice to kids and the game itself.

It's been a long time ago, but I think his name was Russell Chadwick.

:thumb:Russ Chadwell also played for Clay County and boy could he dunk! He was an exciting player to watch. Russ Farmer is Richie's little brother. I believe both Russ's graduated the year after Richie.

:thumb:Russ Chadwell also played for Clay County and boy could he dunk! He was an exciting player to watch. Russ Farmer is Richie's little brother. I believe both Russ's graduated the year after Richie.
I don't remember Richies brother. But, I do remember Chadwell. Just like you and JJ said, he could jump and!

1976 Louisville Male with Griffith and Turner. They won the state the year before and lost to Ballard in the regional with basically the same team. Oh yea, Ballard went on to win the state in 1976 with Jeff Lamp scoring 43 in the championship game.

I think that Male team with Griffith and Turner get my vote

• 2 weeks later...
1999 Scott County.....forgot to show up for Championship Game

They shouldn't have even been in the championship game that year. Paducah Tilghman was rooked, imo, in the morning session. Several terrible calls in the final minutes killed their chances. That's the maddest I've seen the fans at a Sweet 16 game since the Hazard-PRP fiasco in 1986.

I actually thought Madison Central was the best team in 1999, but they were beaten in the quarterfinals with Marquis Estill barely able to walk. Estill hurt one knee in the regular-season finale at Scott County, then hurt the other knee in the rematch with Scott County in the quarterfinals. Estill tried to play, but he was pretty ineffective.