March 10, 200818 yr The efforts and accomplishments of the second part of this season is due in part to BCG and the players alone. "Tubby's" players BCG inherited didn't even look to know how to move on offense earlier in the season, in no way can anyone say that the 11 of 13 squad is a reflection of anything Tubby Smith. Billy G inherited a team that was a 2nd round NCAA tournament team last year. The whole talk about how Billy G took over a terrible team is just crazy. I mean they lost one good player from last year, and replaced him with Patterson. So Billy G took over a team that should have been good enough to make the tournament to begin with. He took over a team that was a tournament team, and had experience with it. Some of you all really need to understand that, instead of acting like Billy G just took over a terrible team. Billy G took over a tournament team that probably should have been better than just a 2nd round team this year. In all honesty its hard to give any blame or credit to either coach this year. I mean Tubby left a team that was a tournament team. He did not leave the team that started terrible this year. Then Billy G though had to deal with all the injuries which probably played a part earlier. So Billy G did a great job over coming that though, and getting this team back to being a tournament team like they should have been to begin with.
March 10, 200818 yr Billy G inherited a team that was a 2nd round NCAA tournament team last year. The whole talk about how Billy G took over a terrible team is just crazy. I mean they lost one good player from last year, and replaced him with Patterson. So Billy G took over a team that should have been good enough to make the tournament to begin with. UK lost their entire front court from last year (Morris, Perry, Thomas). And the team BCG took over didn't have Patterson on it.
March 10, 200818 yr UK lost their entire front court from last year (Morris, Perry, Thomas). And the team BCG took over didn't have Patterson on it. Don't forget:
March 10, 200818 yr Just wondering what everyone has to say about Tubby Smith now. At the beginning of the year all I saw on here was a steady stream of how Tubby had ruined or destroyed the U.K. program. Now that they have had a successful Conference season and appear to have a pretty good chance of getting into the NCAA the criticism of Tubby seems to have disappeared. When Tubby took over U.K. and won the NCAA tournament everyone wanted to say he won with Pitinos players. Can we now say that Billy Clyde has turned things around with Tubbys players? Whats fair is fair IMO. Billy took Derrick Jasper and has formed him into what appears to be a good shooter. Billy took Ramel and Crawford and got them to take their game to another level. Billy is doing this with tons of injuries, and after a terrible start. Most may be Tubby's players, but Billy Gillispie is doing a good job of coaching IMO.
March 10, 200818 yr All these attacks on Tubby are just stupid. For those who hate him enjoy the Billy Clyde show. For those who enjoyed Tubby and his tenure you are wasting time trying to defend him. So can we stop having these types of threads.
March 10, 200818 yr All I know is this. Used to be when I thought about UK basketball, I thought "Tubby Smith". Now when I think about UK basketball, I think " A program thats going places."
March 10, 200818 yr With Tubby: - Crawford finishes up a very disappointing career - Bradley is forever ridiculed as the player we got instead of Chris Lofton - UK probably beats Gardner Webb and San Diego - UK is in the NIT Without Tubby: - Crawford will be drafted in the NBA - Bradley becomes the leader of the team, both on and off the court - UK beats the teams that matter WHEN they matter and finishes 11-2 - UK makes the NCAA tourney and we all feel like they actually have a chance to win a few games
March 10, 200818 yr With Tubby: - Crawford finishes up a very disappointing career - Bradley is forever ridiculed as the player we got instead of Chris Lofton - UK probably beats Gardner Webb and San Diego - UK is in the NIT Without Tubby: - Crawford will be drafted in the NBA - Bradley becomes the leader of the team, both on and off the court - UK beats the teams that matter WHEN they matter and finishes 11-2 - UK makes the NCAA tourney and we all feel like they actually have a chance to win a few games In all honesty I agree 100% with those comparisons except I don't think Crawford will get drafted but will have a very good chance getting picked up as an undrafted free agent.
March 10, 200818 yr In all honesty I agree 100% with those comparisons except I don't think Crawford will get drafted but will have a very good chance getting picked up as an undrafted free agent. If he continues to produce like he has been, I think he'll at least get a look in the late 2nd round. If nothing else, they'll notice that he has shot close to 50% from the 3-point line in SEC play. At the very least, I think he'll get a shot as a free agent.:thumb:
March 10, 200818 yr Tubby won the national title, 5 sec championships, 5 conference championships. He averaged over 23 wins a season. Let it go, he can coach, you cant argue with numbers. However in his last years he became complacement (IMO) There was nothing left for him to accomplish in Lexington, therefore he left. Good Luck in Minnesota. As for UK Gillispie will return UK to prominence, it will take a few years. Hopefully by then we will quit comparing everything he does to The TUB.
March 11, 200818 yr Change was desperately needed. Both parties involved have fresh air and appear to happy. Move on.
March 11, 200818 yr All these attacks on Tubby are just stupid. Maybe the most intelliegent comment on this thread. :thumb: One day, and I thought perhaps we had reached it, we will be beyond these conversations. That would be nice but as long as the TB'rs are around it will not happen, they are obsessed with it . I honestly think that is all that some know to do. There are a few that in 10 years from now if U.K. loses a basketball game it will be Tubby Smith's fault :lol:. Dead horse. Tubby did great things at UK. I wish we all could move forward and have any Tubby threads be about the success he is having at Minnesota! :thumb: :thumb::thumb: Again, great idea but don't hold your breath unless blue (no U.K. pun intended) is your favorite color. Coach Bill Gillispie has the Wildcats playing well now and things are looking up. I am first and foremost a U.K. fan and I am glad that Coach Gillispie has things going in the right direction. U.K. imo will be back on top where we expect to be sooner rather than later. Coach Tubby Smith imo has had a sucsessful 1st season at Minnesota and is on his way to rebuilding that program. I am also a fan of Tubby Smith and I hope that he has much sucsess at U.M., I hope that he win all of his games unless he plays U.K. (and with the way some of the U.K. fan base is it would be fitting for OTS to beat U.K.). Coach Smith deserves respect and to be at a school with a fan base that is excited to have him and will support him and players that believe in and will play hard for him. Best of luck to OTS. I have posted too much on yet another "Dead Horse" thread.........and that's all I have to say about that.
March 11, 200818 yr He's always been able to win with other people's players... And other coaches have always been able to have a measure of sucess with his players:D In all seriousness, I have been a OTS defender in these ads, and will continue to belive that he did and overall great job during his time. I don't belive that anyone could have continued the sucess of 96-98, and that a decline was natural. As for the measure of decline, you can belive what you want, and I will belive what I want. I think the future is in good hands with Coach Gillespie, and I will always support UK, no matter who the coach...even Bob Knight. This is the last post I will ever put in a Tubby basher/supporter thread or Chris Lofton should have been recruited by Tubby thread. I will still be seen in University of Minnesota support threads, UK threads, and possibly Chris Lofton in the NBA threads. I will not open or read these threads either. I'm on my way out the door....C-ya! :walk:
March 11, 200818 yr WITH TUBBY -Shots of SHOCKED Donna Smith at every opposing team's basket! WITH BCG - No shots Donna Smith. More of Ashley Judd. Advantage? Billy Clyde. Case closed.
March 11, 200818 yr Just wondering what everyone has to say about Tubby Smith now. At the beginning of the year all I saw on here was a steady stream of how Tubby had ruined or destroyed the U.K. program. Now that they have had a successful Conference season and appear to have a pretty good chance of getting into the NCAA the criticism of Tubby seems to have disappeared. When Tubby took over U.K. and won the NCAA tournament everyone wanted to say he won with Pitinos players. Can we now say that Billy Clyde has turned things around with Tubbys players? Whats fair is fair IMO. Tubby who?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.