Pete Rose: "Steroid users making mockery of todays game"

SvFan4life

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that was the case, Babe Ruth needs to be removed fromt eh HOF immediately. The Hall of Fame is for baseball careers, not personalities. I think Rose is a HOFer.

Never said his personality. His accomplishments are noted in the HOF. His all-time hit record, I believe, is in the HOF.

He as a player is not.

You can honor his accomplishments while not honoring him as an individual.

Peter Edward is the REASON why he is not in the HOF. He wonders why he is not, he needs to look in the mirror.

Babe Ruth did not admittingly break a baseball rule that gets you banned from the game.

Listen, I absolutely believe that Pete deserves to be in the HOF because of his on the field accomplishments. Then again, nothing he has done since being banned from baseball can make anyone believe that he is truly remorseful. I want Pete to be in the HOF, but posthumously. That's one acceptance speech none of us want our kids to hear...

:thumb:I totally and completely agree. The "Just Shut Up" award could feasibly be changed to the "Pete Rose Award." He only has his mouth to thank.

What a joke. Rose goes on Best D Sports Show a couple of years ago, after the release of his book. During the interview the issue of Bonds comes up. Rose says, "He didn't do anything illegal. Steroids weren't against the rules when he used them." Then, two months later, his son was arrested for distributing 'roids, I believe. Now, he turns face and says that he is against 'roids. Without baseball, this guy would be hanging out at River Downs and West High football games talking about how great he was as an athlete, he'd be Al Bundy.

Something that everyone forgets is that Pete had two offers from then commissioner Bart Gimatti. One was to admit to everything in the Dowd report and be suspended from baseball for 5 years. The second was that baseball would neither “confirm nor deny” that Rose bet on baseball, receive a lifetime ban but be eligible for reinstatement in one year. Pete’s attorneys thought that they could punch enough holes in the Dowd report that baseball would reinstate him in one year, so he took his attorneys advice. Then Gimatti has a news conference to announce the punishment and breaches the agreement that he and Pete signed by saying “Yes, I believe Rose bet on baseball….” Pete’s attorneys were ready to sue baseball for breach of contract because of those statements then Gimatti dies suddenly of a heart attack. I believe that 1) Rose took some very bad advice from his attorneys and 2) if Bart Gimatti didn’t die Pete would be in baseball and the HOF today and that we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Bart double crossed Pete. Pete "the Hit King" Rose signed a statement saying he would be able to apply for reinstatement after one year, however, Bart dies and Bud won't even look at a reinstatement. Just take it under consideration.

How was he double-crossed? He applied. That was what the agreement said. He could apply. Never said he would receive reinstatement.

I don't know alot about Babe Ruth, that was just the first name that came to mind. My point was just that personalities shouldn't have anything to do with it. Even betting on baseball didn't have an effect on Rose's skills, though. Purely based on baseball talent and production, he has to be in the Hall.

If that was the case, Babe Ruth needs to be removed fromt eh HOF immediately. The Hall of Fame is for baseball careers, not personalities. I think Rose is a HOFer.

I agree. His personalty should have nothing to do with the man going into the hall of fame. No one in baseball history deserves it more than Pete Rose..

I agree. His personalty should have nothing to do with the man going into the hall of fame. No one in baseball history deserves it more than Pete Rose..

Your absolutely right in that he does deserve it.

He also deserves the lifetime suspension he is serving for the actions he took in gambling.

It was HIS ACTIONS that got him suspended and HIS FAULT he, as a player, is not in the HOF. His accomplishments as the all time hit king is in there. Just not him as a player.