Taking the charge ?

In the games I have seen over the years, taking the charge seems to be a lost art. I realize that it takes a lot of courage to step in front of someone going hard to the basket and only a few kids will do it. Taking a charge can be a momentum changer for a team. Does anyone see this the way I do?

In the games I have seen over the years, taking the charge seems to be a lost art. I realize that it takes a lot of courage to step in front of someone going hard to the basket and only a few kids will do it. Taking a charge can be a momentum changer for a team. Does anyone see this the way I do?

Yeah, you don't see many Shane Battier's in the HS game...I agree, it is a lost art, however, when I played HS Ball a few years ago, our coach made us do the charge drill were you stand in front of the basket & let a teammate basically run over you (try to shoot a lay up). All you could do was stand there & cover the area of your choice. It was not a fun drill but it did help us a lot.

The drill should be more than just in front of the basket.

You should have charge drill of cutting off the sideline in the press and taking the charge.

You should have one in rotating over and cutting off the baseline.

You should have one in rotating over from weakside and cutting off the middle of the lane and taking the charge.

You should have one where you sprint back on defense and take the charge to prevent the layup.

You should have one where they quickly get in front of the defender to take the charge on the person they are guarding.

Coach with the ball and put the ball in their belly to simulate contact.

3-4 minutes a day and each player has to take two correct charges. Have a charge from a different spot each day of practice.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, teach them to fall correctly. NOT on their hands and you end up with a broken wrist. Fall on their butts and slide.

A little acting lesson built in does not hurt.:sssh:;)

We ran a charge drill from different points of the floor everyday for 5 minutes back when I played and it carried over to the game. Incentives were given to players who took charges in the form of coupons to McDonalds for however many charges they took in a game, was how many Big Macs they would get after the game. We had some good actors on the team, I would have thought I would have seen a couple out in Hollywood today.

We ran a charge drill from different points of the floor everyday for 5 minutes back when I played and it carried over to the game. Incentives were given to players who took charges in the form of coupons to McDonalds for however many charges they took in a game, was how many Big Macs they would get after the game. We had some good actors on the team, I would have thought I would have seen a couple out in Hollywood today.

Too many Big Macs and they can't move their feet well enough to take a charge.

Not sure, but I was told once that monetary rewards, coupons, is not allowed to be given in such a manner.

You should have charge drill of cutting off the sideline in the press and taking the charge.

You should have one in rotating over from weakside and cutting off the middle of the lane and taking the charge.

You should have one where you sprint back on defense and take the charge to prevent the layup.

You should have one where they quickly get in front of the defender to take the charge on the person they are guarding.

3-4 minutes a day and each player has to take two correct charges. Have a charge from a different spot each day of practice.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, teach them to fall correctly. NOT on their hands and you end up with a broken wrist. Fall on their butts and slide.

We also had to do the drill from the above mentioned spots.

Two years ago, I saw a Raceland Lady Ram take a true charge from highly respected West Carter's Brandi Rayburn. Katelynd Porter had her feet firmly planted and took the charge, hit her head on the floor, injury time out, trainer aid, and helped off the court. She sat out the 3rd quarter, but returned to finish the game in the 4th. She said it was her honor to take a charge from such a great player! To this day, if we see Brandi out, she always comes over to speak to us. I think Brandi gained respect for Katelynd that same day since she didn't move when Brandi was coming toward her.

Two years ago, I saw a Raceland Lady Ram take a true charge from highly respected West Carter's Brandi Rayburn. Katelynd Porter had her feet firmly planted and took the charge, hit her head on the floor, injury time out, trainer aid, and helped off the court. She sat out the 3rd quarter, but returned to finish the game in the 4th. She said it was her honor to take a charge from such a great player! To this day, if we see Brandi out, she always comes over to speak to us. I think Brandi gained respect for Katelynd that same day since she didn't move when Brandi was coming toward her.

Forgot that.

On the bolded, besides teaching them to not put their hands down, you have to teach them chin to chest to prevent them hitting the back of their head on the floor. Very important to teach that.

Forgot that.

On the bolded, besides teaching them to not put their hands down, you have to teach them chin to chest to prevent them hitting the back of their head on the floor. Very important to teach that.

Yes, I was a bit concerned about a concussion, but West's trainer seemed to think everything was ok. (and it was.) Raceland's Coach Sexton promised Katelynd milkshake for that charge. I think Sexton still owes her. LOL

Most schools will not let you do drills like this , IMO you donot need to be doing drills like this if you get one kid hurt doing this its your ***.....:thumb:

You aren't doing these type of drills, than you are not teaching defense.

Get one kid hurt you will never teach defense again , you will find your self in a court room . Just letting the people know this is something you just let go . Is it worth it ?:thumb:

Get one kid hurt you will never teach defense again , you will find your self in a court room . Just letting the people know this is something you just let go . Is it worth it ?:thumb:

Let's look at it the other way.

I don't teach them the correct way to fall and take a charge and then they try to take one in a game and they fall incorrect. Break a wrist and sustain a concussion, aren't I liable then for not teaching them how to prevent such things?

Or are you saying as a coach to protect myself that I should forbid my players from taking charges, games or practice?