Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Most dissapointing home losses by Highlands

Featured Replies

Speechless!!!!

 

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

  • Replies 116
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My avatar is Jerry Garcia, indicative of why my mind isn't always as clear as it once was.

I would think Bird fans would have picked the MUDD Bowl game with Cov Cath. I was there and the Bird fans seemed in shock after the game.

 

That was a great game...didn't Highlands come out of the locker rooms for the second half in fresh uniforms?

It has nothing to do with how good Danville was that year. It is how the adjustments were made at halftime that won't go public from this Bluebird!!!! As they say, what happened inside those walls will always stay inside those walls.

 

Don't quite understand your comments. :confused:

I would think Bird fans would have picked the MUDD Bowl game with Cov Cath. I was there and the Bird fans seemed in shock after the game.

 

I think a lot of the other games mentioned were more disappointing for some of the posters on here because it was their teams and so it was more personal.

Don't quite understand your comments. :confused:

 

Like i said before Danville was very,very good that year. If the same adjust ments would of been made in the 1st half this game wouldn't of went to overtime. Highlands would of won in regulation. The offense was called by a totally different coach in the 2nd half.

I'm pretty sure CovCath went 9 - 1 in 85, losing to Lloyd. Lloyd won the subsectional by virtue of that win.

 

 

You are correct, I played on that Lloyd team, CovCath was undefeated at 9-0 and we beat them 28-7 on the last game of the regular season to win our sub-district, only to have Newport beat us 25-15 the next week in the playoffs.

The CovCath game was a mud bowl as well at CovCath, I can't recall a single blade of grass on that field, it was a complete mud pit.

I'm pretty sure CovCath went 9 - 1 in 85, losing to Lloyd. Lloyd won the subsectional by virtue of that win.

 

Like I said, Newport and Lloyd moved on to the playoffs under the format in 85.

Actually Danville was undefeated and ranked #1 in AAA most of the year in 1984. The Ads beat the Colonels rather handily in the Regional Final that year (to those of us in Danville it was far from an upset. The only two teams that threatened them at all were Boyle {rivalry game} and Russell {state semi's at Russell}.) That was one of the best teams I saw in the 80's.

 

1985 Newport beat Danville in the Regional Final and then lost to Belfry in the Semi-Finals.

 

Didn't mean to knock Danville, if I did in my post on the 84 season. I know CovCath was ranked first in week 10, and didn't last long in the playoffs that season. It was considered an upset in NKY, I guess based on the week 10 rankings, at the time.

Actually Danville was undefeated and ranked #1 in AAA most of the year in 1984. The Ads beat the Colonels rather handily in the Regional Final that year (to those of us in Danville it was far from an upset. The only two teams that threatened them at all were Boyle {rivalry game} and Russell {state semi's at Russell}.) That was one of the best teams I saw in the 80's.

 

1985 Newport beat Danville in the Regional Final and then lost to Belfry in the Semi-Finals.

 

 

Again, thanks. I wasn't sure who Newport lost to in 85, Belfry must have been very good and physical to win this one.

Belfry beat them in Newport in the semifinals.

 

Was that the Newport team with Kowolenek, Lanthorne and company. Hey that Kowolenek name sounds familiar, seems he has a son who is a very good Bird Basketball player this year. :thumb:

The '84 team had Kowolenek, but he graduated in '85. He was a heck of a player for Newport.

 

'85 Team was even better than the '84: Gary Fields (Principal at Bowling Green HS btw), Eric Lanthorne, Jeff Schnelle, Jimmy Arthur, Jimmy Roberts and I might be wrong but Greg Schwitzer at QB. They had a real big offense line (Centers and Tackles; guards were thick and quick). Had a sophomore tailback that backed up Roberts that was good player. Joey Pangallo might have been on that team too. It was as good a team as Newport has had in the last 25 years (the team two years ago was good too).

 

It was a real good team.

The '84 team had Kowolenek, but he graduated in '85. He was a heck of a player for Newport.

 

'85 Team was even better than the '84: Gary Fields (Principal at Bowling Green HS btw), Eric Lanthorne, Jeff Schnelle, Jimmy Arthur, Jimmy Roberts and I might be wrong but Greg Schwitzer at QB. They had a real big offense line (Centers and Tackles; guards were thick and quick). Had a sophomore tailback that backed up Roberts that was good player. Joey Pangallo might have been on that team too. It was as good a team as Newport has had in the last 25 years (the team two years ago was good too).

 

It was a real good team.

 

I remember some of those names now. It was a great team. Big boys up front and they'd hit you until tomorrow. In the 1985 football season, they were probably the best in NKY. Beechwood and NCC players may argue this.

Who was the Coach of Newport that year? Was "Magic" Mike Murphy still at the helm?

Who was the Coach of Newport that year? Was "Magic" Mike Murphy still at the helm?

 

Yes, it was Coach Murphy.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.