Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middle School Basketball

Featured Replies

  • Author
How did Bracken's 8th grade do in the Harrison County tourney? They supposedly have a transfer from Mason County. The Bracken victory over Pendleton was shocking as Pendleton I believe beat them handily as 6th graders. They probably won't play again the rest of the season as scheduled. Did any of their players move up to JV?

 

If its who I think it is, I know the transfer very well. He is a big boy and a stud in football. He is a good kid too who has been through a lot so I wish the best for him and hope he can help the Polar Bears.

  • Replies 1k
  • Views 133.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
You cannot have 15 kids on a team that plays 25 to 40 games per year. The more games the kids sit, the more upset parents become.

 

The coach needs to make the tough choices and cut the roster to 9 or 10 to be fair to the best 9 or 10.

 

I think you make a valid point but in middle school you atleast want the kids in the gym playing. They practice everyday and where would the kids be if they werent atleast practicing?

 

Its tough, HMS has 16 kids and 3 are 6th graders. The coach makes no bones about playing time and tells the parents that there are probably going to be 8-9 that play a ton and the rest he will do his best to get them in the games when he can. Developing is the key so practicing and getting better and being part of the team should be the focus but I can see where parents would get frustrated. Driving to away games, paying $3 to get in and watch lil Johnny play 1 minute or not even play is not fun.

 

IMO I like keeping 10 7th graders and 2 6th graders for the experience.

I just had a parent last night jump on to me about her son not getting to play. The boy is in 4th grade, and it is a 4/5/6th grade team. He is the least developed player on the team. She wanted to know why some 4th graders got to play, and others didn't. I told her some were more advanced than others, and that is why we play 4th grade games.

 

Sometimes parents are just unreasonable.

  • Author
I just had a parent last night jump on to me about her son not getting to play. The boy is in 4th grade, and it is a 4/5/6th grade team. He is the least developed player on the team. She wanted to know why some 4th graders got to play, and others didn't. I told her some were more advanced than others, and that is why we play 4th grade games.

 

Sometimes parents are just unreasonable.

 

Tell her to make sure he is working on his game outside of practice on his own as well. I had to deal with same issues when I coached 4th grade. I started a kid and played him the whole 1st period and then pretty much went with my best sub off the bench the rest of the game because it was a championship game and after the game the father of the kid I started and played a whole period came up and made some comment about me not playing him enough. You cant please em all !!!!! Just remember that and keep working with those kids.

Who else is playing in Alexandria and Williamstown?

 

In Alexandria- Pool A Campbell (purple),Bracken,Summitview Pool B Campbell (gold), Twinhofel,St.Mary's I know what Campbell purple has any info on the rest?

Gold is the lesser of the two Campbell teams. St Marys is very solid with good guards in Uebel and Saunders. I have been told that the Summit View team is strong also.

  • Author

Highlands defeated St. Marys at the buzzer last night on a missed free throw putback with 3 seconds remaining by Nick True the big 6'1 Center. In a game marred with numerous turnovers and over 10 lead changes both teams fought to the end with the Birds coming out with the win.

 

St. Marys came out pressing fullcourt on the tiny St. Henry court and the Birds simply didnt take care of the ball. Much had to do with their lineup having 3 big kids and 2 guards in at the time. St. Marys won the hustle award and scored off many turnovers. Highlands when they broke the press scored on many easy layups. St. Marys led 24-23 at the half.

 

Birds got up by 5 at one point late in the 3rd qtr off a big 3 pointer by Richie Whitford and gained possession with hopes of going up 7 but a turnover led to an 8-0 run by St. Marys and they regained the lead. Justin Saunders is a very good player and he at times seemed to carry St. Marys all by himself.

Jordan Frommeyer is a gutsy kid who is all over the floor, kudos to that boy for playing his heart out.

 

4th qtr was back and forth and St. Marys had a 3 pt lead with under 30 seconds left. The Birds fought hard and scored to cut it to 1. I believe they stole the inbounds pass with 15 sec left and called a timeout to set up an inbounds play. Worked to perfection but the wide open layup was missed, True pulled down the big board and on his stickback was fouled. Went to the line and missed first and then second, only to rip the ball out of the air on the kickback and stick it in with 3 ticks remaining. St. Marys set up an inbounds play, got the ball to Saunders who made a nice play to get around a defender and threw up a prayer from 30 feet that kicked off the backboard.

 

Highlands advances to the finals to play either St. Joes Crescent Sprngs or Tichenor. If anyone has a final on that game, please post.

  • Author

Any updates on the Campbell County Desert classic?

Any updates on the Campbell County Desert classic?

 

Or the tournament in Williamstown?

There was a Panorama for 7th and 8th grade teams this weekend hosted by McNabb Middle School (Montgomery County). 7th Grade teams played at McNabb while 8th grade games were held in The Barn.

Games I know about:

8th Grade -

Rowan beat Conkwright

Fleming beat McNabb

McNabb beat Bourbon

Lexington Christian beat Rowan

McNabb beat Woodford

 

7th Grade:

McNabb beat Fleming

McNabb beat Bourbon

McNabb beat Woodford

 

I know there were many other teams participating, but I didn't watch all the games.

Here is what I know about the 7th graders.

 

Campbell County - Campbell Purple beat Summit View and Bracken County and battle Twenhofel in the Championship tomorrow. They beat St Marys and CC Gold.

 

Williamstown - The 7th grade Wolfpack have been beating everyone soundly. They are an extremely impressive team.

Here is what I know about the 7th graders.

 

Campbell County - Campbell Purple beat Summit View and Bracken County and battle Twenhofel in the Championship tomorrow. They beat St Marys and CC Gold.

 

Williamstown - The 7th grade Wolfpack have been beating everyone soundly. They are an extremely impressive team.

 

Was this from another panorama?

  • Author
Here is what I know about the 7th graders.

 

Campbell County - Campbell Purple beat Summit View and Bracken County and battle Twenhofel in the Championship tomorrow. They beat St Marys and CC Gold.

 

Williamstown - The 7th grade Wolfpack have been beating everyone soundly. They are an extremely impressive team.

 

Twenhofel is solid, they were last year as 6th graders. I believe they have a big kid down low that is strong.

 

7th grade wolfpack are very strong as well. They should beat most school teams.

Meece Middle went 2-1 in McCreary County's tourney today. They defeated Williamsburg by 32 and McCreary by 2 in Triple Overtime. However, I think the 3 overtimes did them in and they lost to Wayne County by 4 in the finals--a team they had went 5-0 against the last 2 years. McCreary finished 3rd, Whitley County 4th, South Laurel 5th and Williamsburg 6th.

As far as Meece, what grade are you speaking of?

 

By the way, I saw Southern Middle 8th yesterday in Mercer County and the twins are playing 8th grade. That team is so impressive offensively, moving without the ball and playing so unselfish. They beat Shelby West and Scott County.

 

In 7th, Scott County beat Shelby West (by 7) and Southern (by 37). Also in Mercer County, Royal Spring beat King Middle in both 7th and 8th, but lost to Lincoln County in both.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.