Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middle School Basketball

Featured Replies

I know they're young, but i've never seen ANYBODY, not hit the rim on 5 straight foul shots. I saw it the other night for a 7th grade team, I won't ridicule anybody and say who but come on coach thats basic.

  • Replies 1k
  • Views 133.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they're young, but i've never seen ANYBODY, not hit the rim on 5 straight foul shots. I saw it the other night for a 7th grade team, I won't ridicule anybody and say who but come on coach thats basic.

 

Again I am going to disagree. Sure you shoot foul shots in practice. Best to do it at the end when the legs are tired and tie conditioning with it. But most middle school teams do not have enough gym time to just work on fundamentals. These kids should have honed their skills in grade school, summer ball and camps. Fundamentals need to be developed before middle school. At this age kids should already have decent ball handking skills, good shooting form. Know how to play defense, box out and rebound. Post players should be developing good post moves and it goes on. I wouldn't blame this coach, rather put the honus on parents, grade school and AAU coaches. JMO

Schedule is out for this weekend. It is going to be some great basketball at NKU. It looks like the strong AAU teams are playing up (Wolfpack and Tar Heels) so that should keep the playing field level.

 

7th grade teams:

2 Highlands teams

St. Mary's

AAU - Flash, Panthers, 6th Tar Heels

 

8th grade teams:

AAU - 7th Wolfpack, 7th Tar Heels, Hornets, Raptors

Fundamentals need to be developed before middle school. At this age kids should already have decent ball handking skills, good shooting form. Know how to play defense, box out and rebound. Post players should be developing good post moves and it goes on. I wouldn't blame this coach, rather put the honus on parents, grade school and AAU coaches. JMO

 

 

Remember, not all kids who play middle school basketball have been exposed to AAU. And, even if they did, most AAU teams only practice a couple of days a week so some kids may not get the individual fundamental work necessary. Middle school teams practice everyday they aren't playing. I'm not saying kids shouldn't have those fundamentals when they reach middle school, but it shouldn't be assumed. Middle school coaches still need to spend time daily working on fundamentals with kids. As I am sure you are aware, these are a lot more middle school basketball players in the state of KY than there are AAU players.

Fundamentals need to be developed before middle school. At this age kids should already have decent ball handking skills, good shooting form. Know how to play defense, box out and rebound. Post players should be developing good post moves and it goes on. I wouldn't blame this coach, rather put the honus on parents, grade school and AAU coaches. JMO

 

 

Remember, not all kids who play middle school basketball have been exposed to AAU. And, even if they did, most AAU teams only practice a couple of days a week so some kids may not get the individual fundamental work necessary. Middle school teams practice everyday they aren't playing. I'm not saying kids shouldn't have those fundamentals when they reach middle school, but it shouldn't be assumed. Middle school coaches still need to spend time daily working on fundamentals with kids. As I am sure you are aware, these are a lot more middle school basketball players in the state of KY than there are AAU players.

The 7th grade Wolfpack and the Tar Heels play at 5:00 Saturday in Regents gym at NKU. This will showcase some of the best 7th graders in Northern Kentucky. Should be a great game!!

Remember, not all kids who play middle school basketball have been exposed to AAU. And, even if they did, most AAU teams only practice a couple of days a week so some kids may not get the individual fundamental work necessary. Middle school teams practice everyday they aren't playing. I'm not saying kids shouldn't have those fundamentals when they reach middle school, but it shouldn't be assumed. Middle school coaches still need to spend time daily working on fundamentals with kids. As I am sure you are aware, these are a lot more middle school basketball players in the state of KY than there are AAU players.

 

I can agree with that. All drills incorporate fundamentals. But when you have 75 minutes for practice, some time needs to be dedicated to plays, stategy defense, and situation. Also there are schools where teams do not get in the gym everyday. Even when these kids get to middle school, they have to work on their games on their own time.

The 7th grade Wolfpack and the Tar Heels play at 5:00 Saturday in Regents gym at NKU. This will showcase some of the best 7th graders in Northern Kentucky. Should be a great game!!

 

Yes, this should be a good game, but this may also be the Tar Heels 6th grade group playing up. I had heard they may not field a 7th grade team this year, which I still find hard to believe, but you never know. Either way, this will be better competition for the Wolfpack than school teams and depending on who else is playing in the tournament, the two teams may get a 2nd game in the championship game.

Yes, this should be a good game, but this may also be the Tar Heels 6th grade group playing up. I had heard they may not field a 7th grade team this year, which I still find hard to believe, but you never know. Either way, this will be better competition for the Wolfpack than school teams and depending on who else is playing in the tournament, the two teams may get a 2nd game in the championship game.

 

There is a Tar Heels team in both 7th and 8th grade pools. I am assuming that they are 6th and 7th and each playing up.

 

The Raptors are not playing on Sunday so the winner of the Wolfpack/Hornets will play the Tar Heels at 1:00 on Sunday.

There is a Tar Heels team in both 7th and 8th grade pools. I am assuming that they are 6th and 7th and each playing up.

 

The Raptors are not playing on Sunday so the winner of the Wolfpack/Hornets will play the Tar Heels at 1:00 on Sunday.

 

So is this an 8th grade event with the Raptors/Hornets, because I was thinking both of these teams were 7th grade teams last year.

Three starters are currently injured? I am schocked if #24, #43 and #22 are all not regular starters and I saw all three play this past Sunday. Very impressive team. The best I've seen play in N. KY. this season thus far.

 

My post referenced the 8th grade team at Summit View. The game the 8th graders played on that Sunday was a twenty plus point loss to Twenhofel. I believe you saw the Summit View 7th grade team, which is a very strong team. They didn't lose a game last year (37-0, I believe). They lost their first game this year when two starters had to sit out, but have won 4 straight since. They are a very impressive team.

Come on its a foul shot.. 5 air balls?

So is this an 8th grade event with the Raptors/Hornets, because I was thinking both of these teams were 7th grade teams last year.

 

It is an 8th grade event with the 7th Wolfpack and Tar Heels playing up.

Campbell County 7th purple beat Highlands by 11 tonight (52-41 I believe). It was the best game CC has played yet this year. They were up by as many as 20.

PC handles Woodland tonight end of 1st quarter PC up 20-2.

Pulls starting 5 and everyone on the bench gets major minutes.

12 players played with 10 getting in the scorebook. If PC didn't play 12 deep

this would of gotten ugly quick. Still up 18 going in to 4th.

Wildcats start 2-0 in Conference and wind up winning by 9.

Have Twenhofel and Highlands next week.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.