Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middle School Basketball

Featured Replies

Why did Moevus' boy go to Walton?

 

It is my understanding that they were looking for a small school and Walton was a good fit.

  • Replies 1k
  • Views 133.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I politely disagree, a good coach can teach man to man defense in 2-3 weeks. I do think most middle schools should play man but it depends on your talent. I also think that playing a 2-2-1 or 1-2-1-1 and then trapping in half court teaches kids to play hard. I personally would rather have kids that have learned to play hard and know what it takes to win then kids that are perfectly versed in proper man to man technique. I also do not think that you should sacrifice games to teach one certain system. The more versatile your middle school players are the better chance they have to succeed later. I also thing you have to teach youngsters to win.... learning to win is critical to future success....i.e. knowing you can play with anyone. Learning to lose in the proper manner is also very important. However, in the end, I agree that man to man should be used as much as possible but again, I would rather have EFFORT.

 

Middle school ball is for development and not wins and losses. Teaching kids to win is important though and teaching kids how to properly execute full court presses and half court traps is also important. I tend to think like you though where as in the end the kids need to learn how to play aggressive man-man defense. This wont be a problem for the boys at Highlands as they play a ton of man-man and will definitely have to play 90% man-man when they get up to the JV/Varsity ranks because Willie Schlarman demands it.

I politely disagree, a good coach can teach man to man defense in 2-3 weeks. I do think most middle schools should play man but it depends on your talent. I also think that playing a 2-2-1 or 1-2-1-1 and then trapping in half court teaches kids to play hard. I personally would rather have kids that have learned to play hard and know what it takes to win then kids that are perfectly versed in proper man to man technique. I also do not think that you should sacrifice games to teach one certain system. The more versatile your middle school players are the better chance they have to succeed later. I also thing you have to teach youngsters to win.... learning to win is critical to future success....i.e. knowing you can play with anyone. Learning to lose in the proper manner is also very important. However, in the end, I agree that man to man should be used as much as possible but again, I would rather have EFFORT.

 

I think that whay you are saying is correct but in different degrees.

 

What you are teaching 6th graders is not the total of what you should be teaching 8th graders. You should be able to build upon what they learned in the 6th grade by the time they are in 8th grade. So, in essence, you should be able to be more versatile in the 8th grade in what you teach them.

 

At the same time the concept of learning to win is more important in the 8th grade than 6th grade. Meaning your bench can be a little shorter in 8th grade while everyone is getting chance to play (in different amounts of time; I am not talking equal playing time) in the 6th grade.

 

That said, a good coach cannot teach the full concepts of m2m defense in 2-3 weeks. Now, if you are talking basic m2m, possibly teach it but that does not mean it is fully learned.

 

In 2-3 weeks, I don't believe that MSers can learn doubling down from guards and rotation when ball is kicked out, doubling post to post with guard dropping and rotation when ball is kicked out, rotating when post has to stop guard penetration, rotating when perimeter has to drop and help stop rotation, sagging off non-perimeter threats to help on post player, trapping picks, showing and recovering, switching ball picks, handling off ball picks.

 

If you teach all these things in 2-3 weeks and your team can FULLY understand them and be able to put them into practice, I know about 500 college teams that would be interested in their coaching services.:thumb:

I think that whay you are saying is correct but in different degrees.

 

What you are teaching 6th graders is not the total of what you should be teaching 8th graders. You should be able to build upon what they learned in the 6th grade by the time they are in 8th grade. So, in essence, you should be able to be more versatile in the 8th grade in what you teach them.

 

At the same time the concept of learning to win is more important in the 8th grade than 6th grade. Meaning your bench can be a little shorter in 8th grade while everyone is getting chance to play (in different amounts of time; I am not talking equal playing time) in the 6th grade.

 

That said, a good coach cannot teach the full concepts of m2m defense in 2-3 weeks. Now, if you are talking basic m2m, possibly teach it but that does not mean it is fully learned.

 

In 2-3 weeks, I don't believe that MSers can learn doubling down from guards and rotation when ball is kicked out, doubling post to post with guard dropping and rotation when ball is kicked out, rotating when post has to stop guard penetration, rotating when perimeter has to drop and help stop rotation, sagging off non-perimeter threats to help on post player, trapping picks, showing and recovering, switching ball picks, handling off ball picks.

 

If you teach all these things in 2-3 weeks and your team can FULLY understand them and be able to put them into practice, I know about 500 college teams that would be interested in their coaching services.:thumb:

 

I agree it would be tough to teach in 2 - 3 weeks, however, middle school teams, ours anyway had practice 5 days a week for a month before games started and now practice 3 - 4 days a week during the season.

 

I also agree that middle school should be building from year to year with skills that are taught, however, no middle school program works it's way up. Each coach kind of does there own thing and the 6th grade coach may be teach m2m fundamental then the 7th grade coach only pays zone.

 

Smart high school coaches will work with middle school coaches to enforce teaching m2m defensive fundamentals from year to year as well as offensive fundamentals of pick n roll, give n go, back cuts, off ball picks, etc. It all comes from the top and if a high school wants to have a continuously competitive program they will require middle school coaches to do this. Highlands IMO does a good job of this. Schlarmann did the same thing when he was at Brossart in dealing with the St. Mary's coaches. The program at Boone will begin to become more of a force because of this.

 

Unfortunately, my beloved dumba** Camels will never get this concept and always float in the oblivion of an okay or what could have been basketball program.

Middle school ball is for development and not wins and losses. Teaching kids to win is important though and teaching kids how to properly execute full court presses and half court traps is also important. I tend to think like you though where as in the end the kids need to learn how to play aggressive man-man defense. This wont be a problem for the boys at Highlands as they play a ton of man-man and will definitely have to play 90% man-man when they get up to the JV/Varsity ranks because Willie Schlarman demands it.

 

Agreed 100%!

I was a little overboard with the 2-3 weeks statement but assuming you teach them the fundamentals they need I think you have to teach them to compete and the effort it takes to compete. Give me kids that play hard and compete!

  • Author
I agree it would be tough to teach in 2 - 3 weeks, however, middle school teams, ours anyway had practice 5 days a week for a month before games started and now practice 3 - 4 days a week during the season.

 

I also agree that middle school should be building from year to year with skills that are taught, however, no middle school program works it's way up. Each coach kind of does there own thing and the 6th grade coach may be teach m2m fundamental then the 7th grade coach only pays zone.

 

Smart high school coaches will work with middle school coaches to enforce teaching m2m defensive fundamentals from year to year as well as offensive fundamentals of pick n roll, give n go, back cuts, off ball picks, etc. It all comes from the top and if a high school wants to have a continuously competitive program they will require middle school coaches to do this. Highlands IMO does a good job of this. Schlarmann did the same thing when he was at Brossart in dealing with the St. Mary's coaches. The program at Boone will begin to become more of a force because of this.

 

Unfortunately, my beloved dumba** Camels will never get this concept and always float in the oblivion of an okay or what could have been basketball program.

 

Well, I dont know how much influence Willie has had on the middle school program outside of maybe sharing his philosophies with the coaches but as far as schemes I dont know. I do know that Highlands plays a very sticky m2m and they do a ton of switching. This hasnt been taught at the 7th grade level but its not to say they wont learn it in the 8th or 9th grades. The observations I am making with our 7th graders is that their coach wants them to pressure the ball out front a ton and have everyone else sag. They double down the ball and trap in the corners very well. Help Defense is something they need to get better at. We have a couple kids who are raw, very good athletes but have never been taught how to play defense while in grade school ball. They didnt have the AAU opportunities that others had so they get caught with their back to the ball sometimes and get their head turned around a lot. It will come for them but only by playing more games and having more practices.

  • Author

Highlands 7th beat CC Gold 52-21 tonight. The 8th grade Camels edged the 8th Birds by 2pts. Birds had a 3pter at the end fall short that could have won it.

 

On a previous Highlands post I stated Nick True the big Center for Highlands is shelved for the rest of the year. Not TRUE. He had a knee bruise and was out practices last week. He was back in action tonight in a limited role.

 

Next up for Birds will be Brossart Celtics on Thursday night in a 7th /8th doubleheader. It is spirit night for Highlands and the place will be packed with students, should be a great atmosphere down at HMS. Glad they are playing a formidable opponent as well, always hate to have blowouts when you have big crowds.

6th & 7th CC Purple beat Turkeyfoot last night. The 7th grade was close at half as McGovney was in foul trouble. However, CC outscored TF 27-3 in the 3rd quarter and ended up winning by 16.

6th & 7th CC Purple beat Turkeyfoot last night. The 7th grade was close at half as McGovney was in foul trouble. However, CC outscored TF 27-3 in the 3rd quarter and ended up winning by 16.

 

You sure know alot about this kid for some reason...:D:D:D

You sure know alot about this kid for some reason...:D:D:D

 

I just love the Camels and watching him and Geiman (6th) play.:thumb:

I just love the Camels and watching him and Geiman (6th) play.:thumb:

 

They are fun to watch. McGovney made some ridiculous moves getting to the hole and then gingerly laying the ball off the glass after splitting 3 defenders!

 

My favorite is when opposing coaches yell out to their players to make McGovney or Geiman go one way or the other when they dribble. McGovney is ambidextrous and Geiman shoots left but does everything else right so they think he's a lefty.

 

Too bad the CCMS SBDM council wouldn't let them play together.

 

On a side note, what was wrong with Kitchen last night?? He was very sensitive!

Can one of the smart gals/guys in the back explain to me why the Boone County School System doesn't play it's teams in the NKMSBL? It is perplexing...

From what I understand (and this is strictly hearsay), the Boone schools weren't real happy with how one of the Kenton schools handled 1 of their players. Apparently, he was held back for no educational reasons, only athletic. That's what severed ties between the Boone/Kenton schools. Those 2 counties played each other for as long as I can remember (before I played, which was quite a while ago). Again, this is only hearsay, I'm not real close to the situation!

From what I understand (and this is strictly hearsay), the Boone schools weren't real happy with how one of the Kenton schools handled 1 of their players. Apparently, he was held back for no educational reasons, only athletic. That's what severed ties between the Boone/Kenton schools. Those 2 counties played each other for as long as I can remember (before I played, which was quite a while ago). Again, this is only hearsay, I'm not real close to the situation!

 

I have heard a similar rumor. The schools were very upset at a particular kid playing 4 years of Middle School ball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.