Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middle School Basketball

Featured Replies

Who is the coach of the Gray 6th grade team in northern ky?

 

Ted Morgan

  • Replies 1k
  • Views 133.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your opinion on him coaching?

 

 

Ted Morgan

New brackets for the 6th grade state!!!!!!!! new team... Elkhorn, anybody know anything?? From frankfort.

What is your opinion on him coaching?

 

What is my opinion on his coaching or just the fact he is coaching? I think he does a nice job. Always wants to teach the fundamentals of the game. Thinks toward the future and what it will take for the kids to play at the high school level. I always like a coach that is calm, cool, and collected for the most part. This seems to be Ted's mode of operation.

Hmmm...HoopDR sent me a list. Let me check it, I almost swore it was CCgold. Here is what he sent me and he gets the info straight from NKYMSBL.

 

East: Sharp, CCMS Gold, Holmes, Highlands, Newport, St. Pius

 

West: Summit View, CCMS Purple, Turkeyfoot, Twenhofel, Blessed Sacrament, IHM, Woodland

 

Sharp Middle School will host the Eastern Conference Tournament. Please see the attachment.

 

CCMS will host the Western Conference Tournament.

 

Looks like another trip to Foul Mouth for the Birds. : )

 

Any word when the tourney brackets will be out?? Purple 6th and 7th grade lost heartbreakers on Saturday at Holmes. While it shouldn't be an issue - the refing was horrible. Nothing to do with home cooking - it was just bad officiating. Clyde the Glide - not sure of his real name (clyde is his first name), just my nickname - has to be the worst ref in the area!

  • Author

No word yet, still games to be played in the next week or so to determine seeding. I would expect Sharp will get 1 seed and Highlands will get the 2nd in the East division. Birds have had a tough year with injuries recently finding out their 6'1 center Nick True is shelved for the remainder of the season with a knee injury. Nothing major but enough to keep him out. This is the 4th injury to a starter this season. They currently are missing Colin Dupont the starting PG who has been out since Christmas with a wrist injury. Collinsworth and Whitford were out with ankle injuires the whole month of December almost. They have a lot of depth which helps but would be nice to have a fully healthy team going into the year end tourney.

 

On a side note, just got word the Highlands 7th/8th will play Brossart on Thursday night at Highlands. I am assuming it is the Brossart Celtics which consist of future Mustangs who play on 7th grade teams in the area. Highlands defeated them earlier out at Brossart.

I was just curious, I knew he coached some area AAU teams.

Does his boy play for Gray?

 

What is my opinion on his coaching or just the fact he is coaching? I think he does a nice job. Always wants to teach the fundamentals of the game. Thinks toward the future and what it will take for the kids to play at the high school level. I always like a coach that is calm, cool, and collected for the most part. This seems to be Ted's mode of operation.
I was just curious, I knew he coached some area AAU teams.

Does his boy play for Gray?

 

Ted doesn't coach a AAU team. He coaches his youngest son in a Rec League. His oldest son is on the 7th grade team.

I was just curious, I knew he coached some area AAU teams.

Does his boy play for Gray?

 

He coached an AAU team last year - not sure about this year. Was never successful with AAU. Don't think I would give him credit for success at Grey. I've watched him over the past couple of years and he doesn't have good game management skills and his players didn't really possess strong fundamentals as is with most school ball coaches.

 

You always hear school ball teaches fundamentals. But then you watch a school team play zone and full court zone press and wonder what defensive fundamentals they have learned. Where are the high school coaches? Why don't they demand that their middle school teams play man and nothing else?

 

On offense, I haven't seen a good ball screen set yet this year and never do you see off ball screens in school ball and boxing out is a fabled story that is told over and over in school ball. Nothing against any particular coach but middle school bball coaches are lacking in NKY currently!

He coached an AAU team last year - not sure about this year. Was never successful with AAU. Don't think I would give him credit for success at Grey. I've watched him over the past couple of years and he doesn't have good game management skills and his players didn't really possess strong fundamentals as is with most school ball coaches.

 

You always hear school ball teaches fundamentals. But then you watch a school team play zone and full court zone press and wonder what defensive fundamentals they have learned. Where are the high school coaches? Why don't they demand that their middle school teams play man and nothing else?

 

On offense, I haven't seen a good ball screen set yet this year and never do you see off ball screens in school ball and boxing out is a fabled story that is told over and over in school ball. Nothing against any particular coach but middle school bball coaches are lacking in NKY currently!

 

 

Ted is an outstanding coach. He does it for all the right reasons, last year he coached my son, who did not make his school team; and this year he did. He teaches the fundamentals not just collecting new talented players like a Moevous would do. I understand he plays almost 90% man to man defense and uses the Ryle system so the previuos referee's post is misleading. No one is perfect but I would want any of my kids to play for him.

Ted is an outstanding coach. He does it for all the right reasons, last year he coached my son, who did not make his school team; and this year he did. He teaches the fundamentals not just collecting new talented players like a Moevous would do. I understand he plays almost 90% man to man defense and uses the Ryle system so the previuos referee's post is misleading. No one is perfect but I would want any of my kids to play for him.

 

True statement about Ted, backhanded knock on Moeves is unfair. He too is a good coach and doesn't just collect talented players.

True statement about Ted, backhanded knock on Moeves is unfair. He too is a good coach and doesn't just collect talented players.

 

Moeves coaches AAU and Ted has coached AAU and school ball. The point of AAU is to collect talented players. The point of school ball is to play with the students you attend school with. Two different styles of ball. However, I have watched 4 school games this year and Grey played 2/3 zone the majority of the time and knowing the Ryle coach he has not given Ted any of his system or any middle school team coach for that matter.

I have seen five or six Gray games watching my nephew the 6th grade with Ted runs almost 90% man to man, and he seems to use the same principles of not allowing baseline and forcing to the middle as Ryle. In fact if they ran more zone they would be much harder to score on. The 7th grade does run almost 100% zone lately? Do not understand why.

 

Was not meant as a knock on Moevus as it is ok to collect talent on AAU if that is your focus. Was trying to make a comparison.

Why did Moevus' boy go to Walton?

I politely disagree, a good coach can teach man to man defense in 2-3 weeks. I do think most middle schools should play man but it depends on your talent. I also think that playing a 2-2-1 or 1-2-1-1 and then trapping in half court teaches kids to play hard. I personally would rather have kids that have learned to play hard and know what it takes to win then kids that are perfectly versed in proper man to man technique. I also do not think that you should sacrifice games to teach one certain system. The more versatile your middle school players are the better chance they have to succeed later. I also thing you have to teach youngsters to win.... learning to win is critical to future success....i.e. knowing you can play with anyone. Learning to lose in the proper manner is also very important. However, in the end, I agree that man to man should be used as much as possible but again, I would rather have EFFORT.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.