Who was the greatest running back to ever play high school football in Kentucky?

Diogenes

Who was the greatest RB to ever play KY HS Football  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the greatest RB to ever play KY HS Football

• Douglas Beaumont
    • Victor Anderson
    • Tony Driver
    • Mark Higgs
    • Shaun Alexander
    • Paul Hornung
    • Derek Homer
    • Doug Howard
    • Don Gullett
    • Sonny Collins
    • Scott Russell
    • Arliss Beach

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Westsider,

Who? Give me 5 backs that put up better numbers in the areas I mentioned? I agree that players can put up big numbers against lesser opponents so tell me who did, give me better numbers by 5 people who had at least 5,000 total yards career and say at least 75 td's?

I hope your right.. I love to learn about these players, but I just don't know allot of numbers that stack up against these.

So you want 5 players that put up better numbers against lesser competition? What is that going to prove?

Looking at West's numbers there is not doubt he was very good in high school. The question is what kind of numbers would Alexander have put up against the same competition West did?

That is a very good question that we will never have an answer for. However you can also ask what kind of numbers would West have put up if he had the same number of carries or if he ran behind the same line as Alexander? Who knows? My only point of contention is that West deserves to be in the discussion for the top 5 backs.

That is a very good question that we will never have an answer for. However you can also ask what kind of numbers would West have put up if he had the same number of carries or if he ran behind the same line as Alexander? Who knows? My only point of contention is that West deserves to be in the discussion for the top 5 backs.
And a lot of people, including myself, would be inclined to disagree.

Marshall. But once again, that has nothing to do with high school. After high school Paul Hornung may be the only one that compares to Alexander and I will be the first to admit that. But during high school West stacks up against anyone, period.
And has since transferred to Campbellsville.

Talent is much more relevant than numbers in this debate. Alexander clearly had the talent to star at Alabama, while West made little or no impact at Marshall. That's a pretty good indication that Alexander is the far superior player.

I can tell you this with certainty. The offensive line that Alexander ran behind his junior and senior years was much worse than the line at boone from 1990-92,

And has since transferred to Campbellsville.

Talent is much more relevant than numbers in this debate. Alexander clearly had the talent to star at Alabama, while West made little or no impact at Marshall. That's a pretty good indication that Alexander is the far superior player.

Then how is Eric Shelton not mentioned there, went to Florida State and was the work horse at U of L. Really if that is the case Horning, Shelton, Alexander and Homer are the only ones that deserve to be mentioned. Beach did play at UK but his role was limited, if your basing it by high school, college and pro then the list that is up should only be between 4 players.

Then how is Eric Shelton not mentioned there, went to Florida State and was the work horse at U of L. Really if that is the case Horning, Shelton, Alexander and Homer are the only ones that deserve to be mentioned. Beach did play at UK but his role was limited, if your basing it by high school, college and pro then the list that is up should only be between 4 players.
Uh, Sonny Collins too ...

Not the best, but Damon Hood (1990 Mr. Football) deserves mention.

Absolutely right. I loved going to Warren Central games and watching this man among boys...he was a beast. Great, great, high school running back.

Shawn Alexander is absolutely the winner. He was unreal in high school. I can tell you, since I saw him game 1 each season, that he was the best I've ever seen in high school.

Another great high school running back that isn't near the top of the list, but deserves a bone in this conversation, is Eugene Luke. Oh my...he was freaking unbelievable in high school.