Who was the greatest running back to ever play high school football in Kentucky?

Diogenes

Who was the greatest RB to ever play KY HS Football  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the greatest RB to ever play KY HS Football

• Douglas Beaumont
    • Victor Anderson
    • Tony Driver
    • Mark Higgs
    • Shaun Alexander
    • Paul Hornung
    • Derek Homer
    • Doug Howard
    • Don Gullett
    • Sonny Collins
    • Scott Russell
    • Arliss Beach

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whooops I meant '97!!:confused:

You had me confused. If he would've played the second half in most games his senior year in 96 he might have broke some records. But since that Highlands 96 team was so good the games were most of the time over by halftime. I also would give him a honorable mention.:thumb:

Joe Casey wouldn't win the poll, but he's better than some of the guys on the list. The same goes for Artose Pinner.

Agreed on both.

I have not seen most of the guys listed play so it is hard to say who is the best. Alexander is the easy answer because he has gone on to more success at higher levels. I think however, if you are talking about just high school football then there really probably isn't a best. There are so many great RB's in high school that can't play at the next level. But in high school their studs. Look at Nick Hall from OHS last year. Hall was 5'6" and 160 pounds wet with a rock in his pocket but could flat run the ball.

Some people that have been around western Kentucky football longer than I have say that Casey is the best back they had seen in this part of the state since Sonny Collins. I'm inclined to agree, although the one guy I didn't see that would merit the comparison was Mark Higgs.

There are so many great backs at the high school level, and I think that is what the question is asking? But to say S Alexander was the best in high school is probably wrong. He has developed into a real nice player in the pros, but to say he was the best during his high school days is a stretch. My pick would be either Joe Casey or Paul Hornung. Then my homer picks are Owensboro boys Mark Higgs '82, he was lights out, and Drew Hall '92. But considering some of these backs you could say how GREAT are they, they couldn't win a state title??? Everyone has an opinion

There are so many great backs at the high school level, and I think that is what the question is asking? But to say S Alexander was the best in high school is probably wrong. He has developed into a real nice player in the pros, but to say he was the best during his high school days is a stretch. My pick would be either Joe Casey or Paul Hornung. Then my homer picks are Owensboro boys Mark Higgs '82, he was lights out, and Drew Hall '92. But considering some of these backs you could say how GREAT are they, they couldn't win a state title??? Everyone has an opinion

Just curious. How many times did you see Alexander in HS?

What I watched first hand was 11 guys in the box knowing he was getting the ball, and I saw one team stop him. Alexander was big time KY football, and he still set records across the board. Stop him and beat Boone.

He's the best RB in KY history and I don't see any way to dispute it..