Strangest game you have been to

GoBigRed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most bizarre with Weather

We journeyed to Wayne County my Junior season (1979). It was an unexpectedly close game and then both teams' benches were on the same side of the field. A fog rolled in the 2nd half and when play was on the far side of the field no one could see anything of what was going on.

In fact Wayne County punted the ball to Boyle and the 2 return men could not see anyone or anything. When the ball never materialized one of them ran to the scrimmage line and came back telling everyone, "We blocked it, We blocked it!" No one knew until then what had happened. A crazy night.

Most bizarre ending

Boyle vs. Danville in the same season. Danville had just taken the lead 22-21 with about :30 to play. A penalty on the Ads and a pass play put the Rebels at the Admiral 35 with :03. Wolfe threw a TD Pass to Tim Warren in the back of the end zone with no time left. For some reason the officials made us kick the EP (lots of excuses given: Defensive Penalty for PI in the end zone was one :creepy: ). No one in the Press Box knew what was happening for sure so when we lined up for the EP the Press Box people thought the TD was no good but because of the Pass Interference we were attempting a FG. They even put a 24-22 score on the scoreboard at the end.

It was a bizarre ending to a great game. It was also the last time that Boyle would beat Danville until 1995 I believe.

Pulaski County's 82-68 win at Waggener in the '03 playoffs was one of the wildest displays of offensive firepower by two teams I will probably ever see. Cole Draughn of PC and Waggener's Alfonso Smith (now at UK) really put on a show. If I recall correctly, PC came back from something like 28 points down in the second half, which makes it even more remarkable.

Watching Caldwell County score 25 points in the fourth quarter to beat a very good Danville team 38-28 in the 1998 Class 2A state championship was certainly unusual in my eyes.

But the strangest thing I saw was in a game earlier that season. Hopkins Central had Caldwell down 20-19 and was trying to run out the clock. The Storm was well into Caldwell territory and had a fourth down with about 15 seconds to play. In an effort to kill the clock, the Hopkins Central quarterback actually ran backward down the field. But Caldwell caught him around the 23 or 24 yard line and tackled him with two seconds left. With the clock stopped on change of possession, the Tigers ran their field goal team out and kicked a 41-yard field goal on the final play to win 22-20.

That was a week after Caldwell had lost at Marshall County in the second game of the season. If the Tigers had lost to Hopkins Central who knows which way the season would have turned. Instead it started a 13-game winning streak.

Waggener/Pulaski 2003 2nd round playoff game.

Waggener had a 62-41 lead a couple minutes into the 2nd half, only to see Pulaski rattle off 27 straight to go up 68-62 with about 5 minutes to go. Waggener came back and scored but missed the PAT to leave the score tied at 68. Pulaski quickly scored to go up 75-68 in the final minutes. Waggener drove down the field in the final seconds, only to have Pulaski force a turnover deep in Maroon territory. Pulaski took the turnover to the house, making the final score 82-68.

There's two that come to mind for me. One was my freshman year. We (Somerset) were playing a very much outmanned Whitesburg team on our homecoming. The game was played in a driving rainstorm that made it hard to see all the way across the field. In spite of the JVs and Freshman playing most of the game we led 63-0 after 3. Whitesburg's coach waved his arms and decided that we'd all get pneumonia if we stayed out there so they quit after 3 quarters. I've never seen a game end with a quarter to play before.

The other one occured a year or two after I graduated. Somerset was playing at Mercer Co. when some kind of a serious problem occured that caused a power outage at the field--at least 3 times. The whole crowd and both teams were forced to just sit there in the dark for 30 minutes or so each time.

I have heard about this game, some kind of questionable call at the end of the game and Beechwood won or something like that.

The Beechwood quarterback took a safety in that game, right? But he threw the ball in the air in celebration and Murray recovered it in the endzone. Somebody help me out on that...

The other one occured a year or two after I graduated. Somerset was playing at Mercer Co. when some kind of a serious problem occured that caused a power outage at the field--at least 3 times. The whole crowd and both teams were forced to just sit there in the dark for 30 minutes or so each time.

In 1994, Garrard County and Harrodsburg in Lancaster. The lights went out on the home side and electric wires even fell. Everyone had to evacuate the stands. The game was moved to Lincoln County High School and the second half finished after the Lincoln game.

Harrodsburg won 29-21.