Strangest game you have been to

GoBigRed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a football guy, or at least I kind of wasn't at the time (played for NewCath Junior High team but went to Brossart, who had no football team at the time). I think it is referred to as the Mud Bowl (Highland vs. CovCath @ Highlands). I want to say the year was 1998 or 1999. Jarod Lorenzon and Derek Smith were juniors I beleive. I went there pulling for nobody. What I saw was quite possibly the best high school football game in Kentucky High School history. 2 OT's. Mud everywhere. I couldn't have dreamed up a better game. CovCath won and went on to win the 3A State that year.

Though this game in now way compares to some of those listed already, for me it was the 2002 AA Regional Finals between Belfry and Breathitt County.

Breathitt had absolutely crushed everything in their path before a muddy Friday night at Vipperman Stadium. Breathitt held a 6-0 lead with 1:20 left in the 4th quarter and Belfry had the ball with a chance to drive the field to win the game. Then on back to back pass attempts Breathitt intercepted both passes and returned them for TD's to set the final score as 19-0 en route to their state title.

I guess the strangest game I ever saw was the 30-26 win by Lynn Camp over Cumberland in 2004. The game was played on sat. due to crazy ammounts of rain over the week. The Skins were scoring at will and were up 26-0 really late in the third and Lynn Camp reeled off 30 points in the 4th and won.