1A Rankings (BGP) Discussion

Guest Bluto

If this district has 2 of the top 10 teams, in some peoples opinion, we could very well have the toughest dist. in the state. I do agree they are both very good. Looking forward to seeing both in person.

The best OVERALL district in class A is LCA, Raceland, Farveiw, and Paris. But IMO Frankfort is the #1 team in the state and Trimble is #6 or 7. As far as looking forward to seeing them in person, I am NOT looking forward to seeing Frankfort.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first week of the season we will have a good matchup of 2 top ten teams when Frankfort vs Campbellsville. Should be a good measuring stick for how solid class A will be this year.

By the way Frankfort will win this game by as much as they want!!!

The first week of the season we will have a good matchup of 2 top ten teams when Frankfort vs Campbellsville. Should be a good measuring stick for how solid class A will be this year.

Another good matchup is #4 Pikeville vs. #6 Louisville Holy Cross in the Pike Co. Bowl. This will prove whether Pikeville is "Overated" or not like some misinformed folks on here have implied.

Bracken is in the same district with Trimble. Henry and Carroll are right next door and are in the NCKC, so we have to play them. From the sound of things Ludlow is loaded.

Preseason rankings are good for the fans to talk about, we will see when game time comes more toward the end of the year. :dancingpa

From the sound of what?

Bracken is in the same district with Trimble. Henry and Carroll are right next door and are in the NCKC, so we have to play them. From the sound of things Ludlow is loaded.

Preseason rankings are good for the fans to talk about, we will see when game time comes more toward the end of the year. :dancingpa

Ludlow will be in a dogfight with Bellevue and Dayton for seeding purposes behind Beechwood that will determine how soon their season ends in all truth. The schedule isn't strong although they do get a Scott and Lloyd in the last two weeks which should help them in the playoffs.

Ludlow will be in a dogfight with Bellevue and Dayton for seeding purposes behind Beechwood that will determine how soon their season ends in all truth. The schedule isn't strong although they do get a Scott and Lloyd in the last two weeks which should help them in the playoffs.

The truth? Well, the Beechwood starters won't be playing in any of the above games past the third quarter, maybe even after halftime... The Tigers will be too big, too strong, and too fast this season for any local 1A team to stay up with them, and with BGP's going with Mayfield as the second best 1A team in the Comonwealth, then I will have to include the State.

Why throw them out if you know nothing about them?? Just because they aren't a school you're used to seeing the rankings doesn't mean they don't belong there. A lot of people tell me this is the best Cumberland team they've had in a while. A lot of experience returning. Same with Campbellsville. They were a young team that played in a district with Bardstown, Bethlehem, and Holy Cross. That there should make them a better team this year.

Because this is a thread discussing the preseason rankings and I was stating things that stood out to me in looking at them... If i'm not mistaken, that's what the thread is about.. They may well deserve the ranking they got, I'm just not yet convinced...

What concerns me about Trimble County is gauging how good they really are because their non-district schedule is incredibly weak.

Ludlow, Evangel Christian, Henry County, Carroll County, and Bracken County don't exactly knock your socks off when comparing strength of schedule. North Oldham looks to be the toughest ND team they play.

I agree that Trimble was very close to cracking the top ten.

I am going to play devil's advocate here and combine this with another post that you made (#16, if I count correctly - I have yet to learn how to quote two posts in the same reply) about Campbellsville. If we are looking at last year's schedule and returning players as a gauge for this year, then either Campbellsville was thought too highly of or Trimble too little. Campbellsville was in a tough district, having to play Bardstown, Bethlehem and LHC, but Trimble was in a district with Danville (state runner up) and Frankfort and, frankly performed better against the them in the 3 total games played (2 v's Danville) than Campbellsville did against theirs. Additionally, Campbellsville's wins are not that impressive (beat Fort Knox by 10 who ended 0-10 and Pulaski Co who ended 2-8). Evidently Campbellsville did not lose much, but they lost someone, I bet. Trimble Co has answers for each of the six players they lost. Maybe Campbellsville is in a better district this year, but that alone won't make them a better team.

So, I am confused as to whether the preseason rankings are based on last years results and players lost or the upcoming season and the games they haven't played yet.

Am I disappointed that "my" team didn't make the top 10? Some. Results are more important than rankings, but it would be nice to be recognized as a team to watch. However, I think that it bothers me more that I don't understand what puts Campbellsville in the top 10 (and higher than 10th place, at that).

I am going to play devil's advocate here and combine this with another post that you made (#16, if I count correctly - I have yet to learn how to quote two posts in the same reply) about Campbellsville. If we are looking at last year's schedule and returning players as a gauge for this year, then either Campbellsville was thought too highly of or Trimble too little. Campbellsville was in a tough district, having to play Bardstown, Bethlehem and LHC, but Trimble was in a district with Danville (state runner up) and Frankfort and, frankly performed better against the them in the 3 total games played (2 v's Danville) than Campbellsville did against theirs. Additionally, Campbellsville's wins are not that impressive (beat Fort Knox by 10 who ended 0-10 and Pulaski Co who ended 2-8). Evidently Campbellsville did not lose much, but they lost someone, I bet. Trimble Co has answers for each of the six players they lost. Maybe Campbellsville is in a better district this year, but that alone won't make them a better team.

So, I am confused as to whether the preseason rankings are based on last years results and players lost or the upcoming season and the games they haven't played yet.

Am I disappointed that "my" team didn't make the top 10? Some. Results are more important than rankings, but it would be nice to be recognized as a team to watch. However, I think that it bothers me more that I don't understand what puts Campbellsville in the top 10 (and higher than 10th place, at that).

Just for the record, I have not learned how to quote two post in one reply either. If someone would like to inform myself and True Blue on how to do that we would be thankful.

True Blue, as for how how rankings are done. I think it is a combination of last year results, returning personal, history, and the outlook for the other teams. All in all it is an educated guess. Some people put way to much stock in rankings. I agree with you, that is it nice for your team to get some recognition and to be on the watch list. But, the simple fact is no one knows what is going to happen until it happens. I agree that all the teams in the top ten are quality teams and will, more than likely, have good seasons, but there is no rule that a team that in not in the top 10 will not win. I am sure that the rankings will change from now to the end of the season.

Just for the record, I have not learned how to quote two post in one reply either. If someone would like to inform myself and True Blue on how to do that we would be thankful.

True Blue, as for how how rankings are done. I think it is a combination of last year results, returning personal, history, and the outlook for the other teams. All in all it is an educated guess. Some people put way to much stock in rankings. I agree with you, that is it nice for your team to get some recognition and to be on the watch list. But, the simple fact is no one knows what is going to happen until it happens. I agree that all the teams in the top ten are quality teams and will, more than likely, have good seasons, but there is no rule that a team that in not in the top 10 will not win. I am sure that the rankings will change from now to the end of the season.

Good points, Ram. Thanks on all accounts. :thumb:

:thumb: I agree here also Ram and...................I do not know how to quote multiple post on one for a reply either. am another that would like to know how.

Someone please teach us. :D

I usually do it the poor mans way

I start by replying to one post, this will give you the quote so you can highlight it and then right click and select copy.

Then I hit the back button and go to the next one, only I add the quote to my reply and then copy that too.

Hit the back button again and so, and so on untill I have all the quotes I want and then post a new reply and right click and paste everything I copied.

Hope that clears it up.:laugh:

The truth? Well, the Beechwood starters won't be playing in any of the above games past the third quarter, maybe even after halftime... The Tigers will be too big, too strong, and too fast this season for any local 1A team to stay up with them, and with BGP's going with Mayfield as the second best 1A team in the Comonwealth, then I will have to include the State.

Classy!!! I would not be too quick to pick out your rings just yet...there has been several teams come down to War Memorial in the past with "unbeatable teams" that have gone home with their tale between their legs. Not saying that Beechwood is not the #1 team in Class A or a great team...just don't go declaring them state champs just yet!!!