Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1A Rankings (BGP) Discussion

Featured Replies

I am not totally informed on the young man, but I believe that he is more of a RB type, I haven't heard anything about him on defense. They call him "stump" I believe and I heard he is extremely hard to bring down and very fast, hopefully somebody can fill us in on his actual speed. I know that one of the Middle school coaches said he is one of the best he's seen and that says a lot since he has coached all the ones you just mentioned.
Is this Noonan kid related to the other Noonans that went through the Mayfield program in the 90s? One of them (DeAnthony, if I recall) was supposed to be a star, but he ended up falling by the wayside for some reason.
  • Replies 127
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this Noonan kid related to the other Noonans that went through the Mayfield program in the 90s? One of them (DeAnthony, if I recall) was supposed to be a star, but he ended up falling by the wayside for some reason.

 

He's related somehow, not sure exactly. I was told that this boy has his head on his shoulders and keeps good grades, again, this is hearsay, I too would like to know as much as I can, so anybody in the know fill us in, :thumb:

overconfidence breeds defeat.........beechwood is gonna have a hard time winning a title if they think they already have it won..........

 

Nobody close to the Beechwood team is saying anything about a state championship. They will, and this I guarantee, play one game at a time. If they are lucky enough to get to Mayfield, so be it and may the best team win.

 

Beechwood had a few wars w/Mayfield and they will not take anything or anyone for granted!

Beechwood is the team to beat this year. Mayfield has a ton of young talent but is weak in their line. Mayfield has an unproven QB up to this point but I expect him to do well.I also think the Mayfield- Beechwood would be in Mayfield(if both teams get that far). That is a Mayfield advantage. The line play for Mayfield will be the key for them to win it all. It is doable but you never know.The Noonan kid will be good if he can keep a good attitude. His nickname is rump and he is fast and stout and hard to bring down but he is just a freshman. Mayfield has another good freshman named Jv Richardson whom I'm told could be very good also. I look for big things from the Shelton kid , who will be just a sophmore. Next week is a scrimmage against Milan ,Tenn then Christian County the next week ,that will give everyone A little insight how this team will do this year.

I personally think Pikeville may have the most talented skill players as a whole in 1A, but, the Panthers have been prone to playing down to competition, and their line play is a major question mark.

 

I think 4 is a legitimate rank for the Panthers, but I don't think they are in the same category as the top 3.

 

1.Beechwood

2.Frankfort

3.Mayfield

 

4.Pikeville

5.LCA

6. Holy Cross

 

7,8,9,10,11,12

 

13-et all

I am going to play devil's advocate here and combine this with another post that you made (#16, if I count correctly - I have yet to learn how to quote two posts in the same reply) about Campbellsville. If we are looking at last year's schedule and returning players as a gauge for this year, then either Campbellsville was thought too highly of or Trimble too little. Campbellsville was in a tough district, having to play Bardstown, Bethlehem and LHC, but Trimble was in a district with Danville (state runner up) and Frankfort and, frankly performed better against the them in the 3 total games played (2 v's Danville) than Campbellsville did against theirs. Additionally, Campbellsville's wins are not that impressive (beat Fort Knox by 10 who ended 0-10 and Pulaski Co who ended 2-8). Evidently Campbellsville did not lose much, but they lost someone, I bet. Trimble Co has answers for each of the six players they lost. Maybe Campbellsville is in a better district this year, but that alone won't make them a better team.
I can understand the skepticism about Campbellsville, given their record last year. That's a pretty long limb that the BGP panel went on ... maybe they know something that some others don't.

 

Bottom line ... it's a "genius or idiot" pick. If Campbellsville lives up to their #7 ranking, the BGP panel are geniuses. If the Eagles flop, they're idiots.

 

Looking back on last year ... all three rating systems (Cantrall, Litkenhous and Massey) had Trimble and Campbellsville pretty close to each other, despite the difference in record.

 

Really, given the weakness of Trimble's schedule last year, the 7-4 record hardly seems relevant. The seven wins came against teams with a combined record of 18-48, and five of those teams' wins were against each other. So in reality, their record was 13-43 against outside competition.

 

Plus, three of Trimble's wins (Jackson County, Bracken County, Gallatin County) came against teams with programs in their infancy. Another win (Eminence) came against a team that doesn't compete in their Class A district. And there was a 20-point loss to Henry County, which went 3-7 and didn't make the 2A playoffs.

 

Trimble certainly didn't seem to be competitive with Danville, and the 20-8 loss to Frankfort that you want to hang your hat on came the week after Frankfort smoked Danville. I can see Frankfort having the mother of all letdowns after posting the program's biggest victory in years, maybe even a decade or two or three.

 

I realize that Trimble's program is a baby, and kudos to them for making the strides that they have shown so far. None of that, though, should translate into a preseason top-10 ranking.

I can understand the skepticism about Campbellsville, given their record last year. That's a pretty long limb that the BGP panel went on ... maybe they know something that some others don't.

 

Bottom line ... it's a "genius or idiot" pick. If Campbellsville lives up to their #7 ranking, the BGP panel are geniuses. If the Eagles flop, they're idiots.

 

Looking back on last year ... all three rating systems (Cantrall, Litkenhous and Massey) had Trimble and Campbellsville pretty close to each other, despite the difference in record.

 

Really, given the weakness of Trimble's schedule last year, the 7-4 record hardly seems relevant. The seven wins came against teams with a combined record of 18-48, and five of those teams' wins were against each other. So in reality, their record was 13-43 against outside competition.

 

Plus, three of Trimble's wins (Jackson County, Bracken County, Gallatin County) came against teams with programs in their infancy. Another win (Eminence) came against a team that doesn't compete in their Class A district. And there was a 20-point loss to Henry County, which went 3-7 and didn't make the 2A playoffs.

 

Trimble certainly didn't seem to be competitive with Danville, and the 20-8 loss to Frankfort that you want to hang your hat on came the week after Frankfort smoked Danville. I can see Frankfort having the mother of all letdowns after posting the program's biggest victory in years, maybe even a decade or two or three.

 

I realize that Trimble's program is a baby, and kudos to them for making the strides that they have shown so far. None of that, though, should translate into a preseason top-10 ranking.

 

I never said that Trimble should be ranked in the top 10. I questioned why Campbellsville was. If we look at your method of calculating, according to KHSAA Campbellsville's wins came against teams (2) that were 2-16 against outside competition. What about that translates into a top ten (top 7, actually) rating?

 

One thing that Campbellsville has that Trimble does not is tradition. I believe that last year was one of the first in a long time that they did not have a winning season and, for Trimble, was the first in a long time that they did.

 

That being said, I don't think that Campbellsville was an "idiot" pick. I am sure that the committee has their reasons. I would just like to understand/see those reasons.

 

Three notes on Trimble's schedule. The Henry Co game was played without Trimble's two best players. RB/LB Justin Hawkes had just found out the day before that he would not be able to play that game. All State RB/LB (also district co-MVP) David Bird was out of the game before the first quarter was over (game tied when he left) due to breathing difficulties.

 

Secondly, the scheduling of Eminence each year. Trimble has been playing them a long time...Eminence used to be in their conference (NCKC). Trimble hadn't beaten them since 2002.

 

Lastly, consider the evolution of a team. When the 2004 season ended, Trimble was something like 0-25. The 2005 season sees a new coach and a total revamping of the team. They go 3-7 that year (starting QB only played the first four games, due to ankle injury), realizing that they can, indeed, win. The 2006 season sees them beating teams that they had not beaten in years (Carroll, Eminence and Owen). I am interested in hearing, one year out of a 0-25 record, how Trimble should have scheduled differently. That is not meant to be sarcastic, but truly interested.

 

Also, remind me where I hung my hat on the 8-20 loss against Frankfort. I don't remember that.

I never said that Trimble should be ranked in the top 10. I questioned why Campbellsville was. If we look at your method of calculating, according to KHSAA Campbellsville's wins came against teams (2) that were 2-16 against outside competition. What about that translates into a top ten (top 7, actually) rating?
A fair question. The primary difference, in my mind, that Fort Knox was 0-10 against a fairly tough schedule and Pulaski County was a Class 3A school. Trimble's opponents got their wins against very weak schedules.

Three notes on Trimble's schedule. The Henry Co game was played without Trimble's two best players. RB/LB Justin Hawkes had just found out the day before that he would not be able to play that game. All State RB/LB (also district co-MVP) David Bird was out of the game before the first quarter was over (game tied when he left) due to breathing difficulties.
Didn't know that ... thanks for the info.

Secondly, the scheduling of Eminence each year. Trimble has been playing them a long time...Eminence used to be in their conference (NCKC). Trimble hadn't beaten them since 2002.

 

Lastly, consider the evolution of a team. When the 2004 season ended, Trimble was something like 0-25. The 2005 season sees a new coach and a total revamping of the team. They go 3-7 that year (starting QB only played the first four games, due to ankle injury), realizing that they can, indeed, win. The 2006 season sees them beating teams that they had not beaten in years (Carroll, Eminence and Owen). I am interested in hearing, one year out of a 0-25 record, how Trimble should have scheduled differently. That is not meant to be sarcastic, but truly interested.

I'm not criticizing Trimble's schedule, given the brief history of the program. I'm simply maintaining that it's hard to consider them a top-10 team based on those wins.

Also, remind me where I hung my hat on the 8-20 loss against Frankfort. I don't remember that.
You alluded to the notion that Frankfort's performance against Danville (twice) and Frankfort was better than Campbellsville's against their three top district opponents.

 

The only difference between Trimble's and Campbellsville's three games against higher-level teams is the close call against Frankfort. Given Frankfort's circumstances and the miserable field conditions (well documented on BGP), it's not nearly as impressive as the score might indicate.

 

The Danville playoff game score isn't real indicative of the actual game, given that (according to a BGP thread on the game) the Admirals led 38-0 after one quarter.

A fair question. The primary difference, in my mind, that Fort Knox was 0-10 against a fairly tough schedule and Pulaski County was a Class 3A school. Trimble's opponents got their wins against very weak schedules.

Didn't know that ... thanks for the info.

I'm not criticizing Trimble's schedule, given the brief history of the program. I'm simply maintaining that it's hard to consider them a top-10 team based on those wins.

You alluded to the notion that Frankfort's performance against Danville (twice) and Frankfort was better than Campbellsville's against their three top district opponents.

 

The only difference between Trimble's and Campbellsville's three games against higher-level teams is the close call against Frankfort. Given Frankfort's circumstances and the miserable field conditions (well documented on BGP), it's not nearly as impressive as the score might indicate.

 

The Danville playoff game score isn't real indicative of the actual game, given that (according to a BGP thread on the game) the Admirals led 38-0 after one quarter.

 

So, when Campbellsville played Bardstown, Bethlehem and LHC, none of them ever "called off the big dogs"? If not, then I feel badly for them.

 

You are right on several accounts about the games. I will say that Trimble did at least score on Danville's starting defense in both games that they played against them. And yes, the field was in a terrible condition when we played Frankfort at our place...but both teams had to play on the same field.

So, when Campbellsville played Bardstown, Bethlehem and LHC, none of them ever "called off the big dogs"? If not, then I feel badly for them.

 

You are right on several accounts about the games. I will say that Trimble did at least score on Danville's starting defense in both games that they played against them. And yes, the field was in a terrible condition when we played Frankfort at our place...but both teams had to play on the same field.

 

Bardstown only led Campbellsville 13-6 at the half. Bethlehem really more or less squeaked by.

 

Campbellsville literally scrapped almost everyone 2 games into the season. They had a major problem with one particular senior, and ended up starting 7 freshmen on both sides of the ball, and running an offense totally foreign to that which they had learned in the pre-season. It was a miracle Herbie Wiseman even kept a team together last year.

 

By the time the final 3 weeks of the season rolled around, Campbellsville was popping some people. Then the season ended.

You are right on several accounts about the games. I will say that Trimble did at least score on Danville's starting defense in both games that they played against them. And yes, the field was in a terrible condition when we played Frankfort at our place...but both teams had to play on the same field.
Muddy fields can be great equalizers.
Bardstown only led Campbellsville 13-6 at the half. Bethlehem really more or less squeaked by.

 

Campbellsville literally scrapped almost everyone 2 games into the season. They had a major problem with one particular senior, and ended up starting 7 freshmen on both sides of the ball, and running an offense totally foreign to that which they had learned in the pre-season. It was a miracle Herbie Wiseman even kept a team together last year.

 

By the time the final 3 weeks of the season rolled around, Campbellsville was popping some people. Then the season ended.

 

Acording to Khsaa, Bethlehem won 31-0 (3rd from last game), LHC won 49-0 (2nd from last) and Campbellsville won 30-20 v's Fort Knox on their last game. Am I looking at something wrong.

 

I do appreciate the details that you have about the team turmoil. These are the things that I want to know about. (That sounded kind of strange, but you know what I mean.)

A fair question. The primary difference, in my mind, that Fort Knox was 0-10 against a fairly tough schedule and Pulaski County was a Class 3A school. Trimble's opponents got their wins against very weak schedules.

Didn't know that ... thanks for the info.

I'm not criticizing Trimble's schedule, given the brief history of the program. I'm simply maintaining that it's hard to consider them a top-10 team based on those wins.

You alluded to the notion that Frankfort's performance against Danville (twice) and Frankfort was better than Campbellsville's against their three top district opponents.

 

The only difference between Trimble's and Campbellsville's three games against higher-level teams is the close call against Frankfort. Given Frankfort's circumstances and the miserable field conditions (well documented on BGP), it's not nearly as impressive as the score might indicate.

 

The Danville playoff game score isn't real indicative of the actual game, given that (according to a BGP thread on the game) the Admirals led 38-0 after one quarter.

 

Show off. Now how did you break his post up without losing the blue background?

 

What are all the 1A teams in the west? Just curious.

Show off. Now how did you break his post up without losing the blue background?
Copy, cut and paste ... such wonderful tools. ;)

What are all the 1A teams in the west? Just curious.
There are only five Class A teams west of Louisville. Mayfield, everyone knows about. Crittenden County and Fulton City could be decent, but I wouldn't rate them as top-10 teams at this point.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.