Drive to school; play sports; on a team? Get drug tested

I have a question...

It's not one's "right" to take drugs. So, why is it a violation of rights to be drug tested?

C'mon, now.

You don't have a "right" to drive a car or home ownership, either, but certainly you don't believe those things can be searched without a reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, either, do you?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon, now.

You don't have a "right" to drive a car or home ownership, either, but certainly you don't believe those things can be searched without a reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, either, do you?

I've had to take a drug test for every job I've applied to in the last 20 years (well...except Starbucks). I've never considered it unreasonable, and it was a condition of consideration of employment. If there's a zero tolerence policy to drug use, and I'm not even an employee yet, I wouldn't be hired if I failed the drug test.

I'm assuming there's a zero tolerence policy on drug use in the public school system. So, what's the big deal about testing students? They're minors, and technically, I don't consider them to have rights anyway? :D

Absolutely 100% WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! And the the head in the sand thinking that allows teenagers to get by with things that no one thought they would be involved in.

Not legal to test all, so that argument is moot.

And while we are on drug testing, let me add something to the argument that have been discussed among teachers.

WHAT about tests for HIV, Hepatitis, etc? These kids sleep around like crazy. Then there are fights in school where blood is all over the place and you want me to step in the middle and stop it when they are doing all sorts of things outside of school that could give them a communicable disease?

And under HIPPA,even if one of the kids did test positive for HIV,HEPATITIS,etc.,you would never know it. But I do agree with you..things need to change...I just don't believe in messing with the 4th ammendment IN ANY FORM!!!

I have a question...

It's not one's "right" to take drugs. So, why is it a violation of rights to be drug tested?

Students have a right to an education under each state constitution without interference or restrictions. This is the current legal standard, however wrong it may be. Participation in extra activities can come with testing procedures.

The better "testing" policy is to have drug dogs at a high school sports event, such as a football game and see how many cars get "hit" and then search the cars. The problem is though, are we really ready to fight drugs with who we may find out who is involved? I am talking about the adults, per se, not the students.

PS: A test run was done at an undisclosed NorKY high school game and 5% of the cars were hit on. If you know drug hits, much can be explained why a dog hit, but the fact is, hits occured. Under the same study, 75% of the 5% cars were driven by adults, not students.