North Laurel 7 on 7

Didn't get to see last week's NL-hosted scrimmage (out of town), and Tuesday's was stormed-out. Hope to pick-up with tomorrows (Th) though. Excited to see what the regional boys can do and perhaps get a pre-season idea of what and who to look toward during this Fall. I have to agree with Football Fever's brief informative words on the purpose of these 7-on-7 events, and I would not count-out either Cashen's arm or his perceptiveness on the gridiron. He will snap into place as the Redhounds take their first possession. Also, I think some on you might be a bit surprised with the Jags performance this season. North, I think, loves to be underestimated; this will work to some opposing teams disadvantage. Talent and skill, hard-work, commitment and discipline will always pay dividends in the longrun.

Would be interested to hear if Mountain Thumder had a chance to catch the action; and if so, what he thinks at this point.

Didn't get to see last week's NL-hosted scrimmage (out of town), and Tuesday's was stormed-out. Hope to pick-up with tomorrows (Th) though. Excited to see what the regional boys can do and perhaps get a pre-season idea of what and who to look toward during this Fall. I have to agree with Football Fever's brief informative words on the purpose of these 7-on-7 events, and I would not count-out either Cashen's arm or his perceptiveness on the gridiron. He will snap into place as the Redhounds take their first possession. Also, I think some on you might be a bit surprised with the Jags performance this season. North, I think, loves to be underestimated; this will work to some opposing teams disadvantage. Talent and skill, hard-work, commitment and discipline will always pay dividends in the longrun.

Would be interested to hear if Mountain Thumder had a chance to catch the action; and if so, what he thinks at this point.

I didn't get a chance to see any of the games. Other commitments with my daughter have prevented me from seeing much of anything but a softball field lately!

North does enjoy the underdog role. They played that card well for a few seasons. They will work hard, make no mistake about that. But they have underachieved the past few seasons. But I think they turn the corner in 2007. Wardrup, Cornett, Brandenburg (beast) and Fugate will be keys. And watch for Josh Miller. They need a go to RB, and right now, I am not sure who will emerge. Abbott is excited about the new schedule and district and he should be. Hopefully, this is the year they get back on track. They lost a ton of games in 2005 by a TD or less. In 2006, it looked bad in too many games. But 2007 could be a different story.

As far as Cashen, he is a very good HS QB who just finished playing baseball and went straight to football. I wouldn't put too much stock in any passing scrimmage. I don't think he is a D1 player, but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good QB. It does more for the DB's and their coverages than anyone else. They will rarely have to defend the pass on single plays as long as they often do in passing scrimmage situations.

I think SL will also be underestimated, and after speaking with their O coordinator, he is very excited about the challenge and what he has seen so far this year. They lost their top 3 recievers in Bingham, Baker and Cochis as well as big man Hibbard, but they have some very good young talent and word is that they have had their best practices this spring in quite some time. The NL vs SL game in week #2 will be very interesting indeed!

For North Laurel, I think the addition of a few new faces to the coaching staff will help the Jags tremendously. I feel there may be some changes in a key position or two that alot of people may not expect, after watching the Jags in these scrimmages.