April 4, 200719 yr That's just not how the game is played. If he makes the tournament this year, and he was VERY close and they win a game, he's at a BCS league team next year. Those are awfully big "ifs" ... The game is played other ways, too ... if he's on board for a turnaround at Kentucky, Pelphrey could easily jump from an assistant's job to a better program than South Alabama.
April 4, 200719 yr The game is played other ways, too ... Pelphrey could easily jump from an assistant's job at Kentucky to a better program than South Alabama. Very true. His head coaching experience helps him do that as well. If he were to come to UK in that capacity, its only for a year or two.
April 4, 200719 yr There is a story out there that Billy D. was offered the job way back when Florida came to Rupp in the regular season. There's the story of a lovely lady who was bringing up three very lovely girls all of them had hair of gold, like their mother. the youngest one in curls. There's the story of a man named Brady Who was living with three boys of his own. They were four men living all together yet they were all alone Till the one day when the lady met this fellow. And they knew that it was much more than a hunch, That this group must somehow form a family, That's the way we all became the Brady bunch. The Brady bunch, the Brady bunch. That's the way we became the Brady bunch.
April 4, 200719 yr Coming from USA? Could be a lateral move. I would think his chances of getting a better job than USA could happen just as quickly as Associate Head Coach. I'm not saying I believe its a possibility, but playing devil's advocate a bit. Matt Painter went from SIU to Purdue as the "associate head coach" in 2004 after Gene Keady had announced his retirement, he was guaranteed the head coaching position the next season... That's the only time I can remember of anyone stepping down as a head coach to become an assistant recently.... Highly doubt he would do that... but you never know in this wacky world of college basketball....
April 4, 200719 yr Billy Kennedy put up back-to-back 20-win seasons at Southeastern Louisiana (the first in school history) and took them to the NCAA for the first time ever in 2005. He left to become an assistant at Miami, then got a job at Murray State after one season with the Hurricanes.
April 4, 200719 yr I'd say the odds would be ultra low for a HC to leave to become an assistant unless they were fired from their previous post.
April 4, 200719 yr I'd say the odds would be ultra low for a HC to leave to become an assistant unless they were fired from their previous post.Or, like Painter, they were guaranteed the head job a year later.
April 4, 200719 yr Or, like Painter, they were guaranteed the head job a year later. That's the only way I could see Pelphrey making that move...suppose Donovan took the UK job and told Pephrey he was going to move on to the NBA at some point within the next several years, and they worked out a deal where Pelphrey would be his "Associate Head Coach" and be guaranteed the head job when Donovan left. For that to actually happen seems pretty far fetched to me, but it's the only possible scenario that I could see it happening.
April 4, 200719 yr That's the only way I could see Pelphrey making that move...suppose Donovan took the UK job and told Pephrey he was going to move on to the NBA at some point within the next several years, and they worked out a deal where Pelphrey would be his "Associate Head Coach" and be guaranteed the head job when Donovan left. For that to actually happen seems pretty far fetched to me, but it's the only possible scenario that I could see it happening.I can't even really see that. UK will not agree to it. I doubt they pursue Donovan this bad if he tells them he's only here for 2 years.
April 4, 200719 yr I can't even really see that. UK will not agree to it. I doubt they pursue Donovan this bad if he tells them he's only here for 2 years. Like I said, it's far fetched, but the only possible way I could see Pelphrey making such a move...:thumb:
April 4, 200719 yr Like, say, if Donavon were going to leave for the NY Knicks? :sssh:Isaiah just signed an extension.
April 4, 200719 yr Let me say that should the next HC be either Pelphrey or Ford that UK has taken a huge step backwards in the public perception area. It will not help recruiting. It will indeed make it worse for a few years.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.