April 3, 200719 yr $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :lol: Perhap$ Billy'$ developed a li$p, and doe$n't want to $ay much, $o to $peak!
April 3, 200719 yr "I just got off the court," he said to the reporter who asked about his future. "I mean (it's) right here at the University of Florida, and I'm going to enjoy this moment right now. All that stuff will be addressed, you know. But now's not the time to address it, as it wasn't when it got asked last week. It's about these kids, our program and this time." I knew that was coming... http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070402/SPORTS03/70403006 He said exactly what he should say. Through all the media frenzy about the subject, Donovan has handled everything with class.
April 3, 200719 yr Well... As soon as the game's over, that's as close to a "yes" as anyone could expect. Seems he still has a handle on the situation and didn't make one of those "I'm coming back to do it again!" speeches. Because he needs to make the Florida brass think he might not be coming back......thus, more money to stay at Florida.
April 3, 200719 yr Was just watching ESPN and surprisingly Dick Vitale made a great point. Donovan won't go to Kentucky but here's why: -Jeremy Foley of Florida and Billy Donovan have a great relationship -Donovan's family live in florida and in-laws just moved there -Most importantly though, when the Florida head coaching job was open Notre Dame was going after Urban Meyer as well...Notre Dame has way more "tradition" than Florida (a lot like UK and Florida in basketball), but Foley found a way to land Meyer. IMO same happens with Donovan. The coach's father cautioned against assuming all those family members in Gainesville lessen the chances of Donovan moving to Kentucky. "We're very mobile," Bill Donovan said. "We'll go anywhere." This quote was from a column from the Lexington Herald Leader the other day. The rest of the story is here: Donovan Roots Run Deep
April 3, 200719 yr My question is, if Billy does in fact decide to come to UK, how long will he be in town?...IMO, he'll test the NBA waters before his career is over...
April 3, 200719 yr My question is, if Billy does in fact decide to come to UK, how long will he be in town?...IMO, he'll test the NBA waters before his career is over... I agree. He won't win more than 2 titles at UK, IMO. Either he'll be successful and move on, or he'll fail to reproduce at UK what he's done at UF, and end up in a similar situation to Tubby. I see him being around for 5-10 years if he comes.
April 3, 200719 yr Pretty good article regarding Billy's decision. Stay or Go. A very good read. Whether or not he comes to UK, you have to wish the best for him.
April 3, 200719 yr My question is, if Billy does in fact decide to come to UK, how long will he be in town?...IMO, he'll test the NBA waters before his career is over... Travis Ford or John Pelphrey might be ready by that time...:lol:
April 3, 200719 yr My question is, if Billy does in fact decide to come to UK, how long will he be in town?...IMO, he'll test the NBA waters before his career is over... I don't think he goes to the NBA. You don't think Pitino has talked to him about the NBA. I believe he stays in the college game.
April 3, 200719 yr Was just watching ESPN and surprisingly Dick Vitale made a great point. Donovan won't go to Kentucky but here's why: -Jeremy Foley of Florida and Billy Donovan have a great relationship -Donovan's family live in florida and in-laws just moved there -Most importantly though, when the Florida head coaching job was open Notre Dame was going after Urban Meyer as well...Notre Dame has way more "tradition" than Florida (a lot like UK and Florida in basketball), but Foley found a way to land Meyer. IMO same happens with Donovan. I think the gap between Florida football and Notre Dame football is considerably less than Florida basketball and UK basketball. Obviously, I'm not talking about current results, because it this time no one is at Florida's level. I'm talking about fan support and prestige and things along that lines...Florida had 500 people follow them to New Orleans...UK takes several thousand to the SEC Tourny on a bad year. Notre Dame obviously is the top of the heap in college football, but Florida football isn't lacking in tradition like Florida basketball.
April 3, 200719 yr My question is, if Billy does in fact decide to come to UK, how long will he be in town?...IMO, he'll test the NBA waters before his career is over... Good question and you make a good point. I have expressed the same concern, imo Donovan is definately the best foit for U.K. and U.K. is the best fit for him but if he is going to have short stay and jump t the NBA to fill his ego then I don't want him here in ther first place. Seems like we have been through that before..around 9-10 years ago.:sssh: Just Please not R. Barnes. He has done the least with the most than any coach that I can think of right now. Oh well, if it ends up being Barnes which some have rumored that it might be (if Donovan turns it down)then I would support him bc he would be our coach.
April 3, 200719 yr How many times does this have to be pointed out? If he says that he holds no leverage in getting as big of a raise as possible. I agree with you, but one thing that occurred to me...if Billy Donovan and Jeremy Foley have such a great relationship, should he really have to worry about leverage? Wouldn't his "super best friend" do him right after he lead a team that had never really accomplished anything to back-to-back titles? Maybe he and Jeremy Foley aren't that tight...:fire:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.