April 3, 200719 yr Going to UK -$$$$ -tradition/dream job -UK & UL are the main program (FL has FL, UM, FSU, Dolphins, Jags, Heat, hockey, etc) & he would be treated as a God & sell-outs after sell-outs -UK connections There is no reason to believe that Kentucky is Donovan's "dream job" ... believe me, Kentucky fans need Donovan much more than Donovan needs the Kentucky job. There are only two reasons for Donovan to make the move: 1. He'll be "the King" in Lexington ... but with that comes the constant scrutiny 24/7/365 that Donovan may not want to put his family through. 2. A new challenge ... Donovan has spent a decade at Florida, crowning his run with a couple of national titles. He may decide it's simply time to move on to something else. Then again, that means uprooting his family from the place they've called home for most of their existence.
April 3, 200719 yr "I'll tell you the truth," his dad said amid the celebratory chaos, "I don't know what he's going to do." That statement atleast makes me believe that he will give UK consideration and that is about all anyone can ask of him Exactly.
April 3, 200719 yr Was just watching ESPN and surprisingly Dick Vitale made a great point. Donovan won't go to Kentucky but here's why: -Jeremy Foley of Florida and Billy Donovan have a great relationship -Donovan's family live in florida and in-laws just moved there -Most importantly though, when the Florida head coaching job was open Notre Dame was going after Urban Meyer as well...Notre Dame has way more "tradition" than Florida (a lot like UK and Florida in basketball), but Foley found a way to land Meyer. IMO same happens with Donovan. Was this because Urban Meyer chose Florida over Notre Dame, or because Charlie Weis was in the picture?
April 3, 200719 yr There is no reason to believe that Kentucky is Donovan's "dream job" ... believe me, Kentucky fans need Donovan much more than Donovan needs the Kentucky job. There are only two reasons for Donovan to make the move: 1. He'll be "the King" in Lexington ... but with that comes the constant scrutiny 24/7/365 that Donovan may not want to put his family through. 2. A new challenge ... Donovan has spent a decade at Florida, crowning his run with a couple of national titles. He may decide it's simply time to move on to something else. Then again, that means uprooting his family from the place they've called home for most of their existence. I think at 1 time it was. I dont know if it is his dream job anymore. The only reason I see him not taking the job is because he does have a great thing where hes at. Its not easy to leave a place hes been so successful at.
April 3, 200719 yr Is nobody going to comment on Billy's very hectic schedule, and the fact that he has NOT spoken to anybody at Florida yet? Very telling, IMO. It really, REALLY shuts down alot of the suposed "sources" some of you have.
April 3, 200719 yr Katz said he didn't know where BD would fit UK into his schedule this week. Does anyone else wonder that if a deal isn't struck before he leaves for the DR, he won't be coming? I'm not sure I believe Katz's "Billys to busy for UK" agenda. First of all if the rumored deal is already in place as has been speculated, then he doesn't need to meet with UK. His agent could have already hammered out all of the details behind the scenes. While Billy might maintain that he has not spoken to UK about the job, I am hard pressed to believe that his agent has not. Besides Billy will be within a couple hours of Lexington. I'm sure a few hours could be spared to meet with Mitch even if it is in Huntington. It's not like Billy needs to tour the campus or facilites. I really fell like if Mitch does not have a done deal with Billy than it is time to move onto plan B, if there is any hope of salvaging next years recruiting class. The only way I can understand not naming a new coach this week is if Donovan is already in the fold and they wait until after the UF campus celebration to conclude.
April 3, 200719 yr Is nobody going to comment on Billy's very hectic schedule, and the fact that he has NOT spoken to anybody at Florida yet? Very telling, IMO. It really, REALLY shuts down alot of the suposed "sources" some of you have. Who said it was a fact that he hasn't spoken with anybody about it? A newspaper article? That is no better than some of the sources that have been quoted. I don't think he will leave Florida but I don't believe the media knows anything yet either. The best quote I have seen is Donovans dad saying he "doesn't know what he is going to do".
April 3, 200719 yr if KY does not get Billy then they should go young and go after Ford or someone from the Pitino school of Basketball and let them build the program back up with youth and enthusiam at least.
April 3, 200719 yr Here's the latest, which is posted on ESPN's web site. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2823934 "It's out of line for me to comment and talk about it," said Donovan. "I have no basis commenting on it. ... For right now, I'm just going to enjoy what happened [Monday night with the title win over Ohio State]." "It's amazing how we fast-forward to the future," Donovan said. "Everyone talked about repeating as soon as we won and then we do and we're onto the next thing. At what point do we live life in the moment and enjoy it?" I agree in what he is doing, he is enjoying himself and wining the second straight title for Florida, and wants to enjoy it a little while before making any announcement. I don't think he is being 100% truthful in saying no one from UK or any other party on behalf of UK has talked to him, I am willing to say UK or a third party has talked to his agent and the agent has told Billy. Coaches do this all the time, and Billy is still skating around the questions, but he hasn't flat out said he isn't leaving or anything. The more I think about this the more I think it will be next week, just before the mid April signing period. Perhaps he goes to Huntington tomorrow and talks to Patterson, tells him to wait until that signing period to make an announcement, and tells Lucas the same thing. Billy goes on vacation and still enjoys what he has accomplished at Florida, then during that time or as soon as he gets back he announces he is leaving for UK. I don't think he will say anything before the celebration they will have for Florida this Friday, he will let the players, fans and students enjoy the moment, as well as him enjoying it himself. But I am sure he will at least tell Barnhart, or the "third party" he will come, just to give him some time to enjoy this.
April 3, 200719 yr if KY does not get Billy then they should go young and go after Ford or someone from the Pitino school of Basketball and let them build the program back up with youth and enthusiam at least.There is no reason for Kentucky to limit themselves to someone from the Pitino coaching tree ... you pick the best coach you can get, period, regardless of his pedigree.
April 3, 200719 yr if KY does not get Billy then they should go young and go after Ford or someone from the Pitino school of Basketball and let them build the program back up with youth and enthusiam at least. Pelphrey, maybe. Ford, for God sake NO! Forget about Pitino and get the best man for the job. This has been one of the biggest problems with UK basketball for the last 10 years. Pitino is gone lets move on.
April 3, 200719 yr Who said it was a fact that he hasn't spoken with anybody about it? A newspaper article? That is no better than some of the sources that have been quoted. I don't think he will leave Florida but I don't believe the media knows anything yet either. The best quote I have seen is Donovans dad saying he "doesn't know what he is going to do". I heard Donovan's voice in MY ears, say that he HAS NOT SPOKEN to anybody at UK or about the job. It was about the kids, and it isn't fair to comment on something that has not been offered. Again, I heard it on his press conference with my own ears.
April 3, 200719 yr This is my take on Pitino talking to Donovan... Pitino is telling Billy not to take the UK job...He'd have to compete with Rick, be under constant scrutiny that NOBODY deserves, and have some at Florida feel that he turned their back on them by going to another team in the conference...He's also telling him, "Look Billy, stay in Florida...In 5-7 years, there will be an opening at Louisville, and that will be the job for you..." :lol:
April 3, 200719 yr Took a look see on gatorbait message board to see what was being said there and found this *****Attention ALL POSTERS*** -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ANY AND ALL BILLY D POSTS WILL BE LOCKED, AND POSTERS WILL BE BANNED FOR POSTING Kind of found it funny, guess they have had it up to their ears in Uk fans over running their board
April 3, 200719 yr I heard Donovan's voice in MY ears, say that he HAS NOT SPOKEN to anybody at UK or about the job. It was about the kids, and it isn't fair to comment on something that has not been offered. Again, I heard it on his press conference with my own ears. And that makes it a fact? I heard Tubby say he wasn't going anywhere either. The only fact is that none of us know what he is going to do.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.