Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elliot County 68 Shelby Valley 55

Featured Replies

I have to agree that the refs did not cost the game, but rather Shelby Valley's unwillingness not to foul the shooters.

 

Elliott County's Ferguson only hit a dismal 3 of 9 (33%) from the field and 2 of 6 (33%) from behind the arc.

 

Take away the fouls that let him go to the line an hit 16 of 18 and Shelby Valley wins this one.

 

Other stats that support Shelby Valley's demise was not by the refs...

 

Elliott County had 13 turnovers (Ethan Faulkner with 6 TOs and 2 assists) versus just 8 assists. SV had 17 turnovers.

 

Elliott County outrebounded SV 40 to 31.

 

SV called for 31 fouls to Elliotts 16.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The officials did not cost SV the game. Here's what did:

 

-- SV did dumb things like fouling jump-shooters. Why foul someone on a three or a 17-footer? They did this repeatedly, and Ferguson made them pay.

 

-- Elliott's success at the line kept stretching the lead, and once it got too big, SV had no choice but to foul. SV did a lot of reaching on defense as well.

 

-- After the hot start for SV, it seemed like they quit attacking the basket. If you don't attack the basket, you're not going to draw fouls.

 

Bottom line: Poor decisions by SV cost them what looked like was going to be an easy win.

Jim Schue - you are on the money. SV fouled three - three point jump shooters, and their coach didn't flinch.

 

SV came in 29-3. No offense, but who are these people playing?

 

I thought that this SV team was one of the weakest that I have ever seen in the Sweet Sixteen in my thirty plus years of attending the event. They should apologize to the officials for having to work the game.

 

Ugly, ugly, ball game.

 

Congrats to Elliot County on their first win in their first appearance at Rupp.

 

Best of luck against Warren Central but ..........................

We did the game on the air tonight and the officials called a great game! SV was step slow on the D and grabbed a bunch!

 

Knipp had a pretty good size knot on the side of his ankle after the game, the accident occurred right in front of us, came down hard on Hatfield's foot and it rolled pretty bad. I would say questionable at best for Friday's game, which will hurt the Lions.

 

Good game to call on the radio, very exciting!!

 

Excellent observation. SV was out of position and having to push and grab. Elliott shot more free throws because SV did nothing defensively in the second half except catch up and foul. The best team won the game. The rest is sour grapes!

Excellent observation. SV was out of position and having to push and grab. Elliott shot more free throws because SV did nothing defensively in the second half except catch up and foul. The best team won the game. The rest is sour grapes!

 

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bogey! By the way, are you still making fun of Rick Mays in my avitar?

Well I think the final foul count was 31 fouls for Shelby Valley 16 for Elliott. Extermely onesided and when it happens like this something can't be right. Good luck to Elliott and congrats for moving on but I find that this game wasn't called completly fair

 

When you remove yourself from one side's point of view, I thought it was the best called game of the tournament. At least these guys finally blew their whistles, something the others seem to forget when they get to Rupp.

I wasn't at this game so I don't know if the game was fair or not. But yes, officials have been known to steal high school games. If you don't believe this you should have been at the 8th region tournament in 2005 or the 13th region tournament in 1994.

 

Sounds like a Billy Hicks supporter.

I understand where you're coming from also. I agree about it but I don't really take sides on high school games, I give credit where it's due and I congrat Elliott on the win because they had to make the shots and the free throws to win but the refs didn't help matters much!

 

When the players saw the refs calling the fouls early they should have adjusted. The Elliott players did.

You obviously didn't watch the game if that is your opinion. The better team won tonight.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

When I saw Shelby Valley play earlier in the year, I heard several people comment that the officials could have whistled them for a foul virtually every trip down the floor and I agreed with that assessment. Some officials will allow the grabbing, holding, back-tapping, etc. and some will not. Shelby Valley could not or would not adjust to the way the game was called and the fouls accumulated on them in this game.

 

I will include a quote from an earlier Shelby Valley game thread.

 

"Shelby Valley plays hard, they press and trap the entire game and have good ball movement. They play way too much defense with their hands in my opinion though, but it worked out well for them tonight".

I wasn't either, but TrueBlueSV and I both went to Shelby Valley back in the day and so we both know people that were there and they all said it was very lopsided. I wouldn't post unless I heard from someone that was there firsthand.

I was at the game and one of the main reasons the foul count was so far off was because shelby valley started fouling at the 4 minute mark left in the fourth quarter. Everytime that ethan faulkner touched the ball inside 4 minutes to go in the game he was fouled. I think this might have been a strategy due to the inconsistency of his free throw shooting all though he made aalmost all of his free throws last night. I thought that there was some bad calls against elliott county as well. That is just the way it goes. the refs are always going to do there best and one side will always complain. usually the losing side.

Congratulations to Elliott County on a great win for the program. Stay focused at the task at hand and best of luck the rest of the way.

Sounds like a Billy Hicks supporter.

 

:laugh:

 

Thats funny!

I have to agree that the refs did not cost the game, but rather Shelby Valley's unwillingness not to foul the shooters.

 

Elliott County's Ferguson only hit a dismal 3 of 9 (33%) from the field and 2 of 6 (33%) from behind the arc.

 

Take away the fouls that let him go to the line an hit 16 of 18 and Shelby Valley wins this one.

 

Other stats that support Shelby Valley's demise was not by the refs...

 

Elliott County had 13 turnovers (Ethan Faulkner with 6 TOs and 2 assists) versus just 8 assists. SV had 17 turnovers.

 

Elliott County outrebounded SV 40 to 31.

 

SV called for 31 fouls to Elliotts 16.

 

You better hurry up and eat those grapes. It sounds like they are souring at a medium pace.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bogey! By the way, are you still making fun of Rick Mays in my avitar?

 

Yep!! Can't help it!:jump:

Yep!! Can't help it!:jump:

 

Did anyone catch Rick Mays' interview on the news last night?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.