Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Job: Simon Kenton

Featured Replies

12 hours ago, ProblemChild said:

Engler?

Why would Engler want to leave? In my opinion, he gets more talent at Ryle compared to SK and they are about build or expand the current field house. Facilities are about to get a major upgrade. 

  • Replies 262
  • Views 39.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

Posted Images

Just now, AvidSportsJunkie856 said:

Why would Engler want to leave? In my opinion, he gets more talent at Ryle compared to SK and they are about build or expand the current field house. Facilities are about to get a major upgrade. 

More talent at SK.

6 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

More talent at SK.

I would expect you to say that, but the rest of us logical thinkers on this topic can see Ryle has had way more success recently. Just look at the last 5 years. Ryle has won 4/5 and the one loss was by 3 points.

But, back to the important part - he is about to have newer, upgraded facilities and has most of his roster returning from a state runner up team!

1 hour ago, AvidSportsJunkie856 said:

I would expect you to say that, but the rest of us logical thinkers on this topic can see Ryle has had way more success recently. Just look at the last 5 years. Ryle has won 4/5 and the one loss was by 3 points.

But, back to the important part - he is about to have newer, upgraded facilities and has most of his roster returning from a state runner up team!

Better coaching makes a huge difference. 

Just heard from a friend a college coach has thrown his hat in the ring.  Coached at several colleges over the past 4 years as a DB coach.  Played at SK several years back when they were actually relevant in NKY football.  He is exactly what they need a young guy who can bring some energy and a different system.  If you want the same results keep doing the same thing and hire the assistant.  If you want different results you have to shake things up.  My guess is they offer the job to one of the assistants and 4-5 years from now they are going to be right back where they are today

1 hour ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

I was told X coaches Wallace applied.

That's a false rumor. For fact.

2 hours ago, Bengal Boy said:

Just heard from a friend a college coach has thrown his hat in the ring.  Coached at several colleges over the past 4 years as a DB coach.  Played at SK several years back when they were actually relevant in NKY football.  He is exactly what they need a young guy who can bring some energy and a different system.  If you want the same results keep doing the same thing and hire the assistant.  If you want different results you have to shake things up.  My guess is they offer the job to one of the assistants and 4-5 years from now they are going to be right back where they are today

I am interested to know why you think a young guy is the right answer here? 

My thought .. SK basically has everything in place for them to become a powerhouse. They will continue to get solid athletes (still plenty of places to build nice, new homes). Yet still has some farmboys around who can man the trenches. Open enrollment ... I just feel like an experienced winner has a better chance negotiating the situation VS a guy.

I could be wrong ... but wouldn't it make more sense to go all out for an experienced winning who has a proven track record of getting solid programs to the next level? This job needs a defensive minded coach who has experience dealing with the parents who lack understanding of WE VS ME. Someone with name recognition who immediately commands (and demands) respect. A guy that the kids immediately buy into based on a history of being successful. 

Ideally that would be a person who has been a head coach in the past but it could be an assistant who has similar experience. I can never figure out why schools don't dig into the coaching staffs at places like Highlands, Beechwood, Cov Cath and successful programs across the river. I am sure some schools and school systems really try to find the right guys ... but a lot more of them tend to only look into people who apply or someone a buddy may already know.

System-wise ... they have had a solid offense. The changes need to occur on the defensive side of the ball. The offense can be easily tweaked .... and still run smoothly. Massive changes are not needed there. I think if they truly evaluate where things stand with the program and high a coach who knows how to run a program and understand that defense wins championships ... this could be an immediate, big time winner.

With that said ... I don't necessarily disagree that a "young guy that can bring some energy ..." is the best option ... I guess I am interested in hearing about why you feel this way.

I like Rick Honiker. Had the pleasure of watching him for more than a handful of years. Great leader, great mentor of young men. Film study is A+++. Led a Ryle defense to over achieve the talent they had. He would make a difference. Has had major success as a OC in GA. at New Hampstead High School. So I believe he'd be good on both sides of the ball. NKY roots are a  plus. I personally like the guy and know his character. They couldn't do better IMHO. 

On 12/14/2024 at 10:17 AM, AvidSportsJunkie856 said:

Why would Engler want to leave? In my opinion, he gets more talent at Ryle compared to SK and they are about build or expand the current field house. Facilities are about to get a major upgrade. 

They have been talking about upgrading the field house for 15 years. I don't see it happening. Do you know something specific? Kenton county spends more money on athletics than Boone.

 

With that being said- I don't think Engler would leave for SK. Seems like a Lateral move.

46 minutes ago, Sycamores57 said:

They have been talking about upgrading the field house for 15 years. I don't see it happening. Do you know something specific? Kenton county spends more money on athletics than Boone.

 

With that being said- I don't think Engler would leave for SK. Seems like a Lateral move.

Yes. It is very public knowledge now that all of the Boone County schools are receiving either a field house installation or upgrades to the current fieldhouse in place. Conner High School's fieldhouse is currently under construction (and looks really cool) and then Ryle and Cooper (don't know the order) are supposed to follow. I am not sure what the plan is with Boone County because they just had some renovations and additions to their school within the last year or so. 

  • Author
46 minutes ago, Sycamores57 said:

They have been talking about upgrading the field house for 15 years. I don't see it happening. Do you know something specific? Kenton county spends more money on athletics than Boone.

 

With that being said- I don't think Engler would leave for SK. Seems like a Lateral move.

I don't intend any disrespect to Simon Kenton because they have a solid football program but moving from Ryle to Simon Kenton would be a step down more than it would be a lateral move.  

On 12/14/2024 at 11:46 AM, Bengal Boy said:

Just heard from a friend a college coach has thrown his hat in the ring.  Coached at several colleges over the past 4 years as a DB coach.  Played at SK several years back when they were actually relevant in NKY football.  He is exactly what they need a young guy who can bring some energy and a different system.  If you want the same results keep doing the same thing and hire the assistant.  If you want different results you have to shake things up.  My guess is they offer the job to one of the assistants and 4-5 years from now they are going to be right back where they are today

Who is that? Sounds like Giante Hicks? I think he is coaching at CovCath.

16 hours ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Who is that? Sounds like Giante Hicks? I think he is coaching at CovCath.

This doesn’t appear to be Hicks - per a quick google search, it looks like he was a RB intern and Student Assistant Coach at Kenyon and Alabama State, so that doesn’t check the DB coach box, and his high school recruiting page that still looks to be up is showing Dixie Heights/Winton Woods for HS. 

Regardless, I don’t think his roles as a college intern, student assistant, and one season as a high school freshman assistant coach would qualify him to meet the definition of who Bengal Boy was referring to above, but as I often am, I could be wrong.

As for his resume in relation to the job, I don’t think it comes close to meeting the standard of what SK should be looking at for their next head coach. 

3 hours ago, TheConch said:

This doesn’t appear to be Hicks - per a quick google search, it looks like he was a RB intern and Student Assistant Coach at Kenyon and Alabama State, so that doesn’t check the DB coach box, and his high school recruiting page that still looks to be up is showing Dixie Heights/Winton Woods for HS. 

Regardless, I don’t think his roles as a college intern, student assistant, and one season as a high school freshman assistant coach would qualify him to meet the definition of who Bengal Boy was referring to above, but as I often am, I could be wrong.

As for his resume in relation to the job, I don’t think it comes close to meeting the standard of what SK should be looking at for their next head coach. 

He coached for a while at Urbana and a D1 school but is now at CovCath.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.