Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Private vs. Public

Featured Replies

Should private schools ever be beaten by public schools? 

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • common_sense_eagle
    common_sense_eagle

    This is my first post that isn’t about districting, but I’ve had these thoughts for years and can’t resist sharing them. In my opinion, the advantages a football program has comes down to three m

  • Public schools are the ones that have the advantage, they are free. 

  • I would say first, a perceived advantage in sports is not why most people send their kids to private schools.  In NKY, most "private" schools are actually parochial schools that parents send their kid

28 minutes ago, Who knowss said:

Should private schools ever be beaten by public schools? 

No, Ryle should never beat St. Henry. 

No, but it happens all the time and will continue to do so. I can remember a couple of decades ago before the expansion of classes the Purples knew the trip to Lexington was going to be a long sorry ride back home, if you told BG they get to play Covington Catholic today they don’t bat an eye. I’d say through the years a handful of public schools have gradually continued to build their football programs to the similar standard of what private schools expect from their teams. As a KY HS public school graduate, I will always cheer for the “underdog” but I don’t believe the gap is as large as what it seemed to be in the past. 

34 minutes ago, BlueRaider said:

In 6A

 

No.

Male is not Private, correct? They beat the 6A privates all the time AND have a few Championships under their belt if I’m not mistaken. 

13 minutes ago, cricketbird said:

Male is not Private, correct? They beat the 6A privates all the time AND have a few Championships under their belt if I’m not mistaken. 

Different scenario.  Same for Manual.  They are not private, but they don't have a "home resides" either meaning they don't have to take kids.  They can select who they want from Jefferson County and sometimes from outside the county as well.  Male does give preference to kids who are already in the traditional program (I.e. JCTMS, Barret & Johnson MS), but they also have a "lottery" for kids who aren't in the traditional program.

Yes, they should.  Not consistently, which is a different matter, but they should.  If you look at all the public schools, who do consistently compete with and beat the private schools, they typically have some type of a feeder system or are in a larger metropolitan area that allows them to draw from a larger group of kids (I.e. Male, Manual, Frederick Douglass, etc.).

20 minutes ago, cricketbird said:

Male is not Private, correct? They beat the 6A privates all the time AND have a few Championships under their belt if I’m not mistaken. 

I call Male & Manual the public privates since they operate more like private schools since they are not resides schools and Manual even more than Male since they can take whoever they want but generally they have to meet high academic standards to be admitted. Male is a traditional school and have to be selected by lottery to get into traditional system plus meet the requirements to stay in traditional system. All schools in Kentucky have open enrollment and some schools take better advantage of that than others. 

No is probably the generally assumed answer, but it can definitely be broad and double edged. I believe that the gap has narrowed in Kentucky and likely several other states. I’m terms of narrowing, I believe that this is more so in 6A. The rest of KY from 1A-5A has been narrower, if not an open field. 
 

Other factors relate to the traditions of programs, particularly if the solid traditions have been maintained, grown, developed further, or diminished. There’s a lot more that can be categorized into this area. 

There is always a chance for a public team to beat a private. Football and any given Friday. However with the advantages that a private schools has over public, they shouldn't compete for the same end of the year trophy. 

Let's not forget both Bullitt East and Bryan Station.  Station beat Trinity recently and BE won 6A.

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What advantage do private schools have over public schools?

Public schools are the ones that have the advantage, they are free. 

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

Public schools are the ones that have the advantage, they are free. 

I have always agreed with this. The argument many of my public school friends have always made was that private schools have an advantage by not being limited by a geographical school district, but geographical school districts are actually a parameter that public schools opt to place upon themselves. The only reason any public school system doesn't have the ability to open up to out-of-district students is because that public school system chooses not to. There are actually numerous public school districts in northern Kentucky, for example, that opt not to limit themselves that way and do allow out-of-district students to attend by paying tuition, which is effectively exactly how private schools operate. Holmes, Highlands and Beechwood all allow families from out of their districts to send their children to their schools by paying tuition.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.