Open Job: Carroll County

2 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Kroger field? That's a pretty big jump considering the teams they will have to deal with. I know Carroll tried to get a big gun right off the bat (actually 2 big guns). But you aren't going to get dudes like that when you turn over your staff every few years.

Who are the two big guns you are hearing they tried to get?

On 3/30/2024 at 5:29 PM, Falcon Pride said:

I just looked at the KHSAA website and there are 3 jobs open at Carrol County.

Girls Basketball

Girls  Volleyball 

Football

What is going on in Carrolton?

On 3/30/2024 at 5:31 PM, theguru said:

I have no idea but the first thing I would look at is the people in charge. 

Is it unusual to have 3 jobs come open in one year?

25 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not necessarily, but I would still have a look see if Carroll County was important to me. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

in one year, I don't think so. If it happens consistently, in multiple years, then I think there may be an issue. I have no idea about this specific case.

7 hours ago, TRPride said:

Who are the two big guns you are hearing they tried to get?

Sorry ... I am not "hearing" anything. Not to mention, why would I want to break the "I heard" game that "people in the know" always play? One is at the top of one class, the other? that's where I am stopping.

The most interesting aspect of the situation is that both of these guys, at the very least, had respect for the previous coach and are smart enough to realize the they would be out of there at the admins whim at a moments notice. Apparently there are admins who think that state championships grow on trees and any time certain coaches go places it means they will win a championship there as well. 

What I don't understand, was either of those inquiries even serious or was it just to say they tried? They had a guy that was heading in the right direction. Why not do everything you can to keep that guy first, even if he is looking at other jobs. Who doesn't do that nowadays? 

At the end of the day a lot of places have really good coaches. Administrators need to get over their selves long enough to realize that building programs takes people who are willing to do tough things - they are either part of the problem or part of the solution and most importantly are willing to check their egos at the door.If not, this is what happens.

10 hours ago, FlyPattern said:

They have a phenomenal group of incoming 7th graders stacked with two good classes behind them who have dominated the area on the youth football scene.

Whomever takes over this job if they can hold it, by their fourth year they will be competing for hardware and by their sixth year competing for a spot at Kroger field. 

I nearly spit out my coffee.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

In areas outside of the major population areas the fringe sports typically follow one of two cycles. You either get a lifer at that position or someone willing to fill in the role for 3-4 years maybe. 

Now your big three it’s more rare to see two of those open in the same year. Also you look at how often those spots open over a stretch of time. I think Carroll will be in their fourth HC in 9 or so years. One left for another job and two were let go. 

As far as talent coming up goes. The road to Kroger field doesn’t go through Owen, Trimble, Switzerland Co, or Grant. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Cincinnati Cobra said:

The word in my neck of the woods has been that Scott and Amy have been putting in work beating some pretty big bushes but haven't come near to shaking anything loose from any of them.

Who are Scott and Amy?

15 minutes ago, barrel said:

Joshua Smith has been sending emails out as the HC. I have no idea about Coach Smith. 

Does anyone have any idea here?

And what is going on at Carroll County!?

20 minutes ago, theguru said:

Does anyone have any idea here?

And what is going on at Carroll County!?

Joshua Smith was an assistant at Sayre this past season. 

He has had couple of stints at Frankfort as Def. Cord. 

Was at Shelby during their last semi-final run. 

Had a short stint at KSU with Coach John L. Smith 

Played college football at school in North Carolina. Played for Foley at Frankfort.

• Thanks 1