Lyon County 67 Harlan County 58 (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16® Championship)

Final. A heck of a game both teams gave it their all it was great to watch! Lyon Co. closes out a magical season at (36-3). They were led in scoring by Mr. Basketball Travis Perry who came to play tonight on the biggest stage. He scored 27 points and Jake Riddick had 16 points. Brady Shoulders had 15 points and 7 rebounds.

Harlan County's run stops with a valent effort and their season ends at (34-5) were led by Maddox Huff with 22 points and South Carolina commit Trent Noah had 17 points and 9 rebounds Noah ended the tournament with 129 points and finished in 4th place for the most points scored in a state tournament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

✔️ State's all-time scoring king

✔️ UK commit

✔️ Mr. Basketball 

✔️ State Champion

Has there ever been a more complete career by a Kentucky high school basketball player than that of Travis Perry? At the risk of being a prisoner of the moment, I'm going to say no.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

✔️ State's all-time scoring king

✔️ UK commit

✔️ Mr. Basketball 

✔️ State Champion

Has there ever been a more complete career by a Kentucky high school basketball player than that of Travis Perry? At the risk of being a prisoner of the moment, I'm going to say no.

I agree that is tough to beat. JR Vanhoose from Paintsville up to tonight was the only player to score 3000+ points win Mr. Basketball and a state title plus an MVP award and now Perry has and he's scored 5000+. Quite a career and no better way to top it off. He will never pay for a meal in Eddyville again. Very happy for him!

🦁 ... 🐻, oh my! What a great game and season for both teams, and a couple of very special players.

Congratulations Lyons!

Rupp looked as full for a Sweet 16 final as I've seen for a while too. 

🏀 Official game stats ~

Screenshot_20240323-211439__01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

🦁 ... 🐻, oh my! What a great game and season for both teams, and a couple of very special players.

Congratulations Lyons!

Rupp looked as full for a Sweet 16 final as I've seen for a while too. 

🏀 Official game stats ~

Screenshot_20240323-211439__01.jpg

sad-pain.gif.8cecb8e6d850d29e1e2354291a93f01c.gif

• Like 2

From the KHSAA:

The 2024 UK HealthCare Boys’ Basketball Sweet 16® concluded inside Rupp Arena at Central Bank Center in Lexington on Saturday.

Lyon County earned its first Sweet 16® championship in school history. For the week, 99,915 fans watched in person, the largest weekly attendance since 2014.

Semifinal 1      Lyon County 58, Great Crossing 49

Semifinal 2     Harlan County 55, Evangel Christian 47

Final              Lyon County 67, Harlan County 58 

Video recordings of each postgame press conference from the Boys’ Sweet 16® can be found on the official YouTube Channel of the KHSAA upon completion. 

·  Bracket

·  All-Tournament Team and Awards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great tournament! I wasn’t able to attend this year but watched it all on TV stream. 
That was a huge judgement call on the 3 point attempt by Noah late in the game. It appeared he was in the act of shooting and should have had 3 free throws, which could have cut the lead to 2. But the call was foul before the shot. Broadcasters Dave and Cameron also thought it should have been 3 free throws. It might not have made a difference in the outcome but who knows. 
This was one championship game that I was for both teams to win, lol. 
Congratulations to Lyon County!! Won a title for their school and county and also for the small schools around the state.