Open Job: Conner

I have no idea if either of these guys would leave their current teams. However, two guys that make sense to me that could be possibly good fits is Nathan Browning who is currently at Boone, but teachers at Conner Middle. Or Aaron Stamm who currently is the boys basketball coach at Ludlow, but coached the Conner girls team for many years before. I don’t know if either would be interested, but both would be good hires and have some ties to Conner. 

3 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I have no idea if either of these guys would leave their current teams. However, two guys that make sense to me that could be possibly good fits is Nathan Browning who is currently at Boone, but teachers at Conner Middle. Or Aaron Stamm who currently is the boys basketball coach at Ludlow, but coached the Conner girls team for many years before. I don’t know if either would be interested, but both would be good hires and have some ties to Conner. 

No thank you on Stamm. We have been to that movie and have seen the show. I know he is your buddy ... and he has done solid work at Ludlow and without digging deep ...a good job at Conner. Whether you agree or disagree ...I have a few reasons:

*The complete lack of discipline was never remotely dealt with ... matter of fact "inmates running the asylum" still pops into my head. It cost them every year.

*Underachievement every year. 3 Losses to Holmes in the regional (yes I know Holmes had good teams). Then you go 32-2 ...and get beat by a 22-11 Dixie team that you beat easily earlier in the season?

*Either a complete lack of making in-game and halftime adjustments or being behind a step or two always. (Still baffled by the Holmes game in 2018 ....not prepared ... zero adjustments)

*Scheduling (which may have not been him) ... but good grief .... playing great teams and losing to great teams would have done all of his teams a major service. All the tough games on his schedules were teams he had to play in the district. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

No thank you on Stamm. We have been to that movie and have seen the show. I know he is your buddy ... and he has done solid work at Ludlow and without digging deep ...a good job at Conner. Whether you agree or disagree ...I have a few reasons:

*The complete lack of discipline was never remotely dealt with ... matter of fact "inmates running the asylum" still pops into my head. It cost them every year.

*Underachievement every year. 3 Losses to Holmes in the regional (yes I know Holmes had good teams). Then you go 32-2 ...and get beat by a 22-11 Dixie team that you beat easily earlier in the season?

*Either a complete lack of making in-game and halftime adjustments or being behind a step or two always. (Still baffled by the Holmes game in 2018 ....not prepared ... zero adjustments)

*Scheduling (which may have not been him) ... but good grief .... playing great teams and losing to great teams would have done all of his teams a major service. All the tough games on his schedules were teams he had to play in the district. 

Some of the stuff you probably know more than I about. However to comment on a few things. Two of the years he was at Conner, the 9th region produced a state champ. Then the losses you mentioned to Holmes. If I remember correctly no team in the 9th was really beating Holmes those years. Even though I do agree they had a team capable of beating them in 2018.  

What I do know is like or not Stamm has produced results wherever he has been. Was taking little old Ludlow to the region in girls basketball before he went to Conner. Then it took a couple of years at Conner to break through that tough loaded district and get to the region when Boone was still good. However, during his time Conner seemed to have more success than they seemed to have since he left. Then went back to Ludlow and took Ludlow girls back to the region a couple of times and almost won the district for the first time in Ludlow girls basketball history. Then the last years he has got the Ludlow boys team playing really well. 

I really have no idea if he would even want to go back to Conner, as he is coaching boys at his alma mater. I’m just saying I do think he would be a good hire if he was interested. Which I know you disagree and gave your reasons why, and that’s perfectly fine. I was just throwing out his name and Nathan Browning as two guys that in my opinion would be good hires for the job. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Some of the stuff you probably know more than I about. However to comment on a few things. Two of the years he was at Conner, the 9th region produced a state champ. Then the losses you mentioned to Holmes. If I remember correctly no team in the 9th was really beating Holmes those years. Even though I do agree they had a team capable of beating them in 2018.  

What I do know is like or not Stamm has produced results wherever he has been. Was taking little old Ludlow to the region in girls basketball before he went to Conner. Then it took a couple of years at Conner to break through that tough loaded district and get to the region when Boone was still good. However, during his time Conner seemed to have more success than they seemed to have since he left. Then went back to Ludlow and took Ludlow girls back to the region a couple of times and almost won the district for the first time in Ludlow girls basketball history. Then the last years he has got the Ludlow boys team playing really well. 

I really have no idea if he would even want to go back to Conner, as he is coaching boys at his alma mater. I’m just saying I do think he would be a good hire if he was interested. Which I know you disagree and gave your reasons why, and that’s perfectly fine. I was just throwing out his name and Nathan Browning as two guys that in my opinion would be good hires for the job. 

The Ludlow boys program is actually down if you asked me, scheduling has dropped off a ton and aren't really competing in district anymore. But you can probably say that for all the smaller schools. I think Aaron is a great coach and guy, does many of the right things you want a coach to do but like someone mentioned earlier has definitely benefitted from schedules throughout his career. 

14 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I think you do bring up good points. Objectively ...he has definitely gotten results with girls, boys, big schools and a smaller schools. That is a ton more impressive than most.

That isn't going to happen with an average coach.

Maybe I need to think about it a little more. I think it is a little short sided for me to think that someone who has accomplished as much as he has ... couldn't change the scheduling aspect and the adjustment aspect. In fairness ... I haven't seen him coach boys ...so maybe he deals with things differently with them .

Hard to argue with facts fc .... the book of work is above average. Status change: MIND RE-OPENED.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

The Ludlow boys program is actually down if you asked me, scheduling has dropped off a ton and aren't really competing in district anymore. But you can probably say that for all the smaller schools. I think Aaron is a great coach and guy, does many of the right things you want a coach to do but like someone mentioned earlier has definitely benefitted from schedules throughout his career. 

Down compared to what? If you think the boys program is down now and not competing anymore in district. Then when would you say it was higher and they were competing in district to make it down now? Keep in mind he has only been the boys coach at Ludlow for two years. The schedule before him wasn’t really much better, and they weren’t really even close in district games before him when you look at scores. Which the district is harder now than it was before him, because of Lloyd now being a top 5 team the last two years. So I’m confused on when you think it was up recently, to make you say it’s been down under him? 

As for scheduling, I do think Ludlow would benefit from doing what Beechwood did 10 or 15 years ago? Which is leaving the d3 small school conference they play in. This way they don’t have to play all those conference games with Heritage, Calvary, Villa, etc, and could add some more tougher competition. 

However, anymore of this discussion should be in the Ludlow thread. As far as this thread, I do think Stamm would be a good hire if he was interested. Which as I said I have no idea if he would be, because I’m sure he is happy being back at his Alma mater. 

Per Evan Dennison article on LinkNKY

Hicks said the job opening was posted on Friday and he’s already received a strong set of applicants. He said the plan is to start the interviewing process with a committee after the high school’s Spring Break that runs April 8-13. 

“It’s a great job to have,” Hicks said. “We’ve already had some great candidates that applied and it will be a fun ride to keep this tradition going.

https://linknky.com/sports/basketball/2024/03/25/conner-boys-basketball-coach-steps-down/

Any possibility Mike Code may re-surface? Been out a few seasons. Really successful at Brossart. Still teaches at Highlands. Conner is closer to his Walton residence.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:22 PM, Jack of all Trades said:

Very well thought of coach, with good coaching record from a successful program in the area.

Why do folks do this all the time on BGP? Just say! 😂

On 3/29/2024 at 3:14 PM, PP1 said:

Sounds like he is suggesting Sullivan is leaving Cooper for Conner. 

I believe the feeling around Cooper is that Sullivan is leaving.  He is ready for a new challenge with a more supportive administration.