Open Job: Conner

Guessing Conner having a change of heart was false. I'd say Conner admin should have a very good reason to not even give him an interview. Especially if it's down to 3 in Boone County schools, and he's not one. Not a lot of experience there.

2 hours ago, theguru said:

For clarity, what info involving Coach Sullivan is false and what is true?

He is interested and Conner is not.  Was told this morning that Conner admin had changed mind and was going to interview him.  That was not correct.  There are 3 serious candidates, all of which are currently in the system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RRW said:

Hearing it's down to N. Browning, J. Holthaus and a Conner assistant.

Hopefully the Conner assistant is John Bowling. If not .... ugh.

Bowling has lived and breathed Conner basketball since at least the late 80's.

In my top 3 of basketball minds ...and most importantly ... he has the right mentality to be an extremely successful head coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gbballfan21 said:

Hopefully the Conner assistant is John Bowling. If not .... ugh.

Bowling has lived and breathed Conner basketball since at least the late 80's.

In my top 3 of basketball minds ...and most importantly ... he has the right mentality to be an extremely successful head coach.

"Ugh" means Conner hired the current 9th region coach of the year (Nate Browning) or the coach who has won multiple 9th region championships on the girls side (Holthaus), as well as boys JV championships. I would say they are both better than "Ugh". Good luck to all 3 candidates. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 4:33 PM, 9068 said:

Why? Just because he graduated from there?He knows it's a mess. Why leave a program that you built from scratch to try and fix it?

I'm more asking if his interest in the Conner position was a true interest in the position or was this more trying to leave Cooper.  Everybody knows the Holmes job is a mess but nobody seems to know all the details on why Sullivan applied for the Conner job.  If it's really an issue with Cooper admins is it enough to get him to apply for the Holmes job?

3 hours ago, ProblemChild said:

"Ugh" means Conner hired the current 9th region coach of the year (Nate Browning) or the coach who has won multiple 9th region championships on the girls side (Holthaus), as well as boys JV championships. I would say they are both better than "Ugh". Good luck to all 3 candidates. 

I've said from the beginning that this would be Holthaus job and still believe that is how it will end.  Maybe I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, ProblemChild said:

Yeah ...ugh. I feel like Bowling is the best option. I think he knows Conner and Conner kids better than either of the other applicants. In my opinion ... that matters significantly to me. I think he has a great basketball mind ...I understand why you probably don't know that. And it is fine.

I understand that there are good applicants ... I just think that when you have a guy in house who understands the game, and understands the school it is hard for me to see past that in this case. 

Whats up with Cooper where both basketball coaches are looking to bail?

7 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Yeah ...ugh. I feel like Bowling is the best option. I think he knows Conner and Conner kids better than either of the other applicants. In my opinion ... that matters significantly to me. I think he has a great basketball mind ...I understand why you probably don't know that. And it is fine.

I understand that there are good applicants ... I just think that when you have a guy in house who understands the game, and understands the school it is hard for me to see past that in this case. 

Don't forget the DC that bolted, took some shots at the head football coach, and then deleted his X account.  Something is going on at Cooper and it is not good.  It almost has to be either the AD or the Principal (or both) running coaches off. 

1 hour ago, gbballfan21 said:

I'd think after the run of talent and success that Holthaus has had he knows it will be a while before that happens again in a very good district. I think Sullivan may never have been a serious candidate.

8 minutes ago, 9068 said:

I'd think after the run of talent and success that Holthaus has had he knows it will be a while before that happens again in a very good district. I think Sullivan may never have been a serious candidate.

I am starting to wonder if Sullivan was taking part in some type of anti-Cooper protest. 

16 hours ago, theguru said:

Don't forget the DC that bolted, took some shots at the head football coach, and then deleted his X account.  Something is going on at Cooper and it is not good.  It almost has to be either the AD or the Principal (or both) running coaches off. 

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 9068 said:

Not that my thought matters ... but I hate that there are coaches that think this way. The cupboard isn't bare for the Cooper girls. This dude is a season or two away from creating a potential dynasty at Cooper. Instead of taking that step .... coaches think the better move is leaving to go somewhere else.

The hard part is over for the Cooper girls ...why not take that program to the mountaintop and finish the last step before looking for other jobs. 

that's why I love coaches like Noel Rash ... there were some not so great seasons in his tenure. But he stayed the course and took the program to the next level.

You just can't be ready to bolt after a great run of talent leaves. If a coach has faith in their abilities to coach ... departing talent isn't the end ...its another door opening. 

That thought is why I love Bowling in this job. He will take what the previous staff did and build on it. And he isn't going to jump ship for a better job once he makes great progress.

• Like 2