Adair County vs. Marshall County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

(KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Adair County
    • Marshall County

This poll is closed to new votes

8ji3nv.thumb.jpg.2c4ad7b8817916dcd01882c5b1f43b24.jpg

Adair County Indians (28-7, R5 Champion) | Marshall County Marshals (25-7, R1 Champion)

Noteworthy Results

Adair County - Beat Bethlehem by 18 in R5 Final | Lost to R6 Champion Evangel Christian by 18 | Beat Woodford County by 12 | Lost to R4 Champion Warren Central by 6 | Lost to R2 Champion Lyon County by 50

Marshall County - Split the season series 2-2 with McCracken County, including winning the R1 Final | Beat Murray by 3 for D4 Championship 

Player Spotlight 

Adair County - Isaiah Cochran (17 ppg/9 rpg/55% FG) | Connor Loy (17.5 ppg/62% on 2pt FGs)

Both are juniors, so don't write the Indians off as a one and done representative from the 5th Region. Cochran shined in the R5 final, posting a 29/12/5 line against Bethlehem. Loy averaged 20 ppg against Evangel Christian, Wofo, Warren Central, and Lyon County. 

Marshall County - Alex Staples (15 ppg/51% FGs) | Matthew Langhi (13 ppg/5 rpg) 

This duo will also be back next season. Langhi, a 6'5" frosh, looks like a player we'll be hearing a lot about over the next few years. You can't go wrong with either at the free throw line in crunch time, as both shoot 80% or better from the charity stripe.

Adair likes to play a more uptempo style and shoot 3's but can play half court if needed with 6'6 and 6'7 inside. Cochran should be the best player on the court in this one he has 4 D1 Offers and can play inside or out at 6'7. 

Congrats to the Marshall County Marshals - 1st Sweet 16 appearance since 2012.  Please don't look back at my preview post and see that I predicted them 9th.  (Cats Pause had them 8th, and the Sun coaches' poll had them 6th).  I was familiar with Langhi, but I did not think he could have the impact that he has had as a Freshman.  This team is a very balanced team - they don't shoot a ton of 3s, but they make them at a decent clip of 38%.

Here are four notable players from the Marshals:

• Matthew Langhi, 6'4" Freshman.  13.1 PPG & 4.7 PPG.  Mostly plays facing the basket, and he is a very good shooter from all over the floor.
  • Alex Staples, 5'11" Junior.  14.8 PPG.  Doesn't shoot a lot of 3s, and can really get to the rim.  Good athlete.
  • Tommy Robertson, 6'1" Junior.  8.9 PPG & 3.3 RPG.  Another great athlete.  The 1st of two soccer stars on this team.
  • Logan Parker, 6'4" Senior.  7.8 PPG & 6.3 RPG.  This is the 2nd of the soccer players.  Great mustache.  This is one of those guys that does all of the little things to win.

So I'm the 1st Region guy and I'll have to stick with my West Kentucky (the REAL West KY!) teams.  I'll take the Marshals in a tight one.  Marshall Co. 67, Adair Co. 65

I plan on doing a "Way Too Early" preview of next year after the Sweet 16.  Surprising spoiler alert - the Marshals won't be #1.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 1:07 AM, The Professor said:

I know Lyon County has a lot of firepower but how in the world did a future regional champ lose by 50 to them??? Going by that number it sounds like Marshall County shouldn’t have much trouble with Adair.

I watched that game on YouTube that night. It was close for most of the first half and then Lyon County hit every shot in the third quarter and blew it open. Lyon was clearly the better team but the whole situation kind of snowballed on Adair.

• Thanks 1

A little history about Marshall and Region 1. Alan Hatcher took Marshall 4 times to State in the first 14 years, Marshall has only been once in the last 12 years. He also took Graves 5 times to State. 

1975 Carlisle beat PT                Jim Henley              (Marshall 1st Season) 

1976 PT beat Murray                Berny Biller

1977 Murray beat PT                  Cary Miller

1978 Mayfield beat Lone Oak  Roger Feilds

1979 Mayfield beat Hickman  Roger Fields 

1980 PT beat Marshall               Berny Miller

1981Mayfield beat Lowes        Scott Schlosser

1982 PT beat Ballard Co           Berny Miller

1983 Carlisle beat Calloway     Craynor Sloan 

1984 Marshall beat Calloway  Alan Hatcher

1985 Murray beat PT                Cary Miller 

1986 PT beat Reidland                Berny Miller             ( Graves Co 1st Season) 

1987 Marshall beat Graves       Alan Hatcher 

1988 Marshall  beat Hickman  Alan Hatcher                         

1989 Marshall beat Hickman  Alan Hatcher

1990 PT beat Graves                 Steve Dreher

1991 PT beat Graves                 Steve Dreher

1992 Mayfield beat Marshall  Scott Schlosser

1993 Graves beat Fulton Co   Allen Hatcher

1994 Graves beat Murray        Allen Hatcher

1995 Marshall  beat PT             Kirk Chiles                                               

1996 PT   beat Marshall            Billy Chumbler

1997 Graves  beat Mayfield     Allen Hatcher

1998 Graves  beat Hickman     Allen Hatcher

1999 PT  beat Graves                 Billy Chumbler

2000 Graves beat Marshall      Allen Hatcher

2001 Carlisle beat PT                  Brian O’neill 

2002  PT Beat Marshall              Billy Chumbler

2003 Calloway beat Mayfield   Terry Birdsong

2004 Carlisle beat Calloway     Brian O’neill 

2005 Lone Oak beat PT              Andy Poore

2006 Graves beat Calloway      Allen Hatcher

2007 PT beat Marshall               Brad Steig 

2008 PT beat Graves                  Brad Steig 

2009 Graves beat Marshall      Terry Birdsong

2010 PT beat Graves                  Brad Steig 

2011 Marshall beat PT               Gus Gillespie

2012 Marshall beat PT                Gus Gillespie

2013 Graves beat Calloway       Terry Birdsong

2014 McCracken beat Marshall  Burlin Brower           ( McCracken 1st Season) 

2015 Calloway beat Murray       Terry Birdsong

2016 Murray beat McCracken   Bart Flener

2017 Graves beat Mayfield          Joshua Frick 

2018 McCracken beat Graves     Burlin Brower

2019 Mayfield beat McCracken  Chris Guhy

2020 McCracken beat Marshall  Burlin Brower 

2021 McCracken beat Murray     Burlin Brower 

2022 Murray beat McCracken     Curtis Dior

2023 McCracken beat Mayfield   Dustin Roberts

2024 Marshall beat McCracken   Sawyer Donohoo