Cooper 55 Covington Catholic 36 (9th Region semifinals)

Wow. Granted the football team made it to the state finals, but this makes for both the CCH football and basketball teams getting stomped in their final games of the season. Looks like the basketball team was completely unprepared to play in the regional tournament though. To say the least.

• Confused 1

Rondon was far and away the best player on the floor today. I knew he was good, but it seemed like he was absolutely toying with defenders. I hope he is able to play Tuesday, that is a definite game changer.

Do not have a dog in the fight but I would say Harney was the best player on the court.  7-16 for the game shooting and somehow not one foul shot.  Kid looked like he played against Freddy Krueger with nail marks on his arm and shoulders.  

Pouncy dominated Miller.  That was pretty much the story of the game.

Cooper vs. Newport should be a great game.  I would prefer to see a high scoring game with all the athletes on the court but think each team will hold the ball.  Predicting a 43-41 type of game.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Do not have a dog in the fight but I would say Harney was the best player on the court.  7-16 for the game shooting and somehow not one foul shot.  Kid looked like he played against Freddy Krueger with nail marks on his arm and shoulders.  

Cooper vs. Newport should be a great game.  I would prefer to see a high scoring game with all the athletes on the court but think each team will hold the ball.  Predicting a 43-41 type of game.

There won’t be any “holding of the ball” I can assure you of that. Unlike the majority of the teams Newport and Cooper have faced playing Zone, the Wildcats and Jags don’t play it!! I’ll shocked if they do. Not to mention there’s a long history between many of these players dating back to when they first started playing basketball so there’s a little bit of bragging rights to be claimed lol. While they are great friends off the court, none of them are backing down from one another. 

If Coach Snapp or Coach Sully puts a player in the game you can rest assured said player is going to play solid man-to-man defense or he’s coming to sit down. It will most likely be a low scoring game but the reasoning will be because of tough defense. 

In first match up this season, the Jags were without Rondon and Andy Johnson and it went down to the wire. I expect the same with those two players in the lineup. 

Taking the Jags due to their overall depth. 

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That’s what I saw too. If he would have had any support the game might have been closer down the stretch. He was literally the ONLY Colonel inside the 3 pt line on numerous possessions in 4th qtr. It was baffling to watch. 

Harney is an outstanding player that you enjoy watching play the game, he doesn't flop after every shot ,he doesn't question the referees, taunt the opposing players, he just plays the the game and plays to win showing sportsmanship and he's a class act to say the least.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He was definitely the best player on Cov Cath's squad last night. As far as the court goes, I think I'd give the nod to Rondon. It seemed like the Colonels put several different players on him and he still beat them off the dribble. I loved how he read the floor and read screens.

I think two big possessions of the game were the last 3 seconds of the 1st and 3rd Quarters. If memory serves me correctly, Cooper scored on OB plays each time.

17 hours ago, TheConch said:

@Mr. Sixer the switch Man made no sense to me. 

Cooper could do whatever they wanted down in the paint , especially in second chance opportunities, as Miller refuses to box out. 

The Jags weren’t afraid to get on the floor for a loose ball. And I have never seen a Scott Ruthsatz team just completely give up, aside from Cash Harney, as I thought he played his heart out, just had 0 help. 

I loved that the refs let them play. It was odd to see at one point in the 4th quarter it was 6 fouls to 0 - all called on CovCath, and you could see Scott arguing and pointing up at the video board informing the ref of the same thing. 

Do I have this right, 2 points in the 4th quarter?!? Wow. Out coached, out manned, and luckily, ran OUT of time because it was only going to get worse as Scott sat there dumbfounded. 

Jags are my favorite to win the 9th, and go get another State title for NKY! 

The Enquirer article mentions that even Rondon and Pouncy thought CCH had quit.  

15 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

Wow. Granted the football team made it to the state finals, but this makes for both the CCH football and basketball teams getting stomped in their final games of the season. Looks like the basketball team was completely unprepared to play in the regional tournament though. To say the least.

Close hard fought game into the fourth quarter. The final margin does not reflect the game.

2 hours ago, AhhhhhUC said:

The Enquirer article mentions that even Rondon and Pouncy thought CCH had quit.  

Ouch. And nobody would know that better than the opponent.