Cooper 55 Covington Catholic 36 (9th Region semifinals)

The Jags dominated in the second half, after a pretty even first half. Hopefully Yamil is ok for Cooper and can play Tuesday, as it looked like he may have re-injured his shoulder at the end of the game. 

• Like 1

That’s 3 wins in a row vs CCH. Not sure when the last time that’s happened but it doesn’t matter, I only bring it up because someone mentioned a while ago that CCH rarely loses to the same team twice in a year. 

Like most teams who play zone against the Jags it takes a while for them to get going. In this game CCH was making their zone work but Cooper kept hanging in there and all of the sudden CCH went to man-to-man for some reason only down 6 and all I could do was 😊 and run was on!

Congrats to Coach Sully and the Jags! To put this game away like they did is a testament to how much he stresses the importance on the defensive end! No shame in winning ugly! 

Good luck to the Jags and prayers to Mil who looked to re-injure his shoulder but I hope he’s ready for Tuesday. 

Go Jags!! 

• Like 2

@Mr. Sixer the switch Man made no sense to me. 

Cooper could do whatever they wanted down in the paint , especially in second chance opportunities, as Miller refuses to box out. 

The Jags weren’t afraid to get on the floor for a loose ball. And I have never seen a Scott Ruthsatz team just completely give up, aside from Cash Harney, as I thought he played his heart out, just had 0 help. 

I loved that the refs let them play. It was odd to see at one point in the 4th quarter it was 6 fouls to 0 - all called on CovCath, and you could see Scott arguing and pointing up at the video board informing the ref of the same thing. 

Do I have this right, 2 points in the 4th quarter?!? Wow. Out coached, out manned, and luckily, ran OUT of time because it was only going to get worse as Scott sat there dumbfounded. 

Jags are my favorite to win the 9th, and go get another State title for NKY! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Also - fantastic atmosphere in game 2. Game 1, not so much. 

They were packed in there today, now if only people could figure out how to leave a parking garage in a timely and orderly fashion! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheConch said:

Cooper could do whatever they wanted down in the paint , especially in second chance opportunities, as Miller refuses to box out. 

The Jags weren’t afraid to get on the floor for a loose ball. And I have never seen a Scott Ruthsatz team just completely give up, aside from Cash Harney, as I thought he played his heart out, just had 0 help. 

I loved that the refs let them play. It was odd to see at one point in the 4th quarter it was 6 fouls to 0 - all called on CovCath, and you could see Scott arguing and pointing up at the video board informing the ref of the same thing. 

Do I have this right, 2 points in the 4th quarter?!? Wow. Out coached, out manned, and luckily, ran OUT of time because it was only going to get worse as Scott sat there dumbfounded. 

Exactly what I was coming here to say.  In that 2nd half, besides Harney, it looked like the rest of the team did not want to be there.  Very lethargic.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cincyswords said:

All I can say is Cooper is by far playing better than anyone in the region.  Maybe in the state.

Seems like a stretch know several bigs dogs out there with 20+ winning streaks.

Great Crossings and Newport to name a couple. 

26 minutes ago, TheConch said:

I will absolutely concur that Harney is a straight BALLER!! Has Zero fear of anything! He definitely seemed to be putting it all on his shoulders. Cooper’s bench didn’t contribute a ton in the scoring column but they certainly were able to provide rest for the starters and played solid defense and little drop off to give the starters a break. Great contribution from the footballer Alexander. 

I see your point regarding CCH rebounding. The Jags owned the boards 36-19. 

Newports size creates problems for most teams but I do look forward to seeing a full game of man-to-man defense which Coach Snapp and Coach Sully believe in. Gonna be a great game! 

• Like 2