2023 Griffin Elite Prep Classic

2 hours ago, Shotwhisperer75 said:

Dumbest set up ever! Who even thought this was a good idea. Embarrassing. 

105261.jpeg

Speechless, but what are you going to do with your back against the wall…. Gotta let them play even in not ideal stadium conditions….. at least we are local. I can’t imagine what the teams from way out of town thought. 

11 hours ago, kyag said:

Are these games using a shot clock?

Yes. IMG Academy got called for a violation in their game against Lloyd tonight. 

Other points ~ 

1. I think if you're going to charge $10 for a livestream, it would be great to provide an announcer or two. The PA gun was excellent though and the video quality was top notch. 

2. I watched both games tonight off and on during a family get together. Two former D1 ballers looked over my shoulder occasionally to check out the action. Both were impressed with the level of play - both were appalled by the venue/court setup. 

Really hope they can pull it together next year and find a school/arena worthy of the talent on the floor.

Need to have it at Spooky Nook in Hamilton Ohio. 14 courts, hotel across the street, 3 airports within 1hr1/2, plenty of room for people. Charge double and let everyone enjoy any game they want. You could have a ton of teams from all over and really make it a showcase event. 

59 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

Need to have it at Spooky Nook in Hamilton Ohio. 14 courts, hotel across the street, 3 airports within 1hr1/2, plenty of room for people. Charge double and let everyone enjoy any game they want. You could have a ton of teams from all over and really make it a showcase event. 

Are you suggesting Griffin Elite organize an event with their brand name on it, is 10 minutes away from the best regional airport in North America, has more than enough nearby hotel capacity for an even larger tournament, and hold it at someone else's facility 40 miles north?

If they held this event at a large venue like UC, NKU, or X it would be even worse.  There were maybe 200 total in attendance at the most for a given game.  Host it at St. Henry's gym is the better alternative.  

Big shout out to the Griffin’s and others that may have helped organized this event and in the past, regardless of where the games have been played.  If it wasn’t for people like this I don’t think Northern Kentucky could pull in so many big teams at one time.  I’m sure they’ll get the venue logistics figured out in the future, but since I’ve been attending winter classics such as this for 40 years I don’t recall having the caliber of teams in a high school tournament/showcase in northern Kentucky at one time.  

The old Lee’s Famous Recipe tournament was a great local tournament, but not the caliber of teams like we’ve seen Griffin’s tournament/showcase over the last few years.

• Like 1