Lexington Christian Academy at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

14 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Common error of thinking. Independent schools are public schools, just like every county school in KY. Anyone who lives in the district goes to Beechwood tuition free, just like every other public school. 

Any public school in the state can allow out of district students attend their school and charge them tuition. 

Ok... Thank you!!  I did not know.

13 minutes ago, sportsdad316 said:

Ok... Thank you!!  I did not know.

You're welcome! As I said, it is a very common misperception. The only difference between a county public school and an independent public school is the size of the district. County districts are usually county wide. Independent districts are smaller, usually one small city or town. They are all public schools. 

Public school Kentucky royalty:

Pikeville, Mayfield, Beechwood (kind of), Belfry, Boyle, BG, Male (kind of), Highlands (kind of).

When I think of a true public school I think of a small town high school or a county high school. Male is a magnet city school, Highlands and Beechwood are technically public but have a very private feel to them. They are also in bigger population (greater Cincy/NKY area). No disrespect to any of the programs, they are all true winners.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:06 PM, Bud_Kilmer said:

I will say this, if LCA doesn’t win a 2A title this year their coaching staff should be embarrassed. No way a team with transfer help and resources that LCA has should not convincingly win this week and the rest of the way. 

HUGE TRANSFER HELP! Gotta be the biggest transfer in Kentucky sports history. It’s like Lebron joining D wade back in the day. It’s literally championship or bust.

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

It's like a Whirlpool Museum in here, lot of spin.

Mayfield is arguably the most consistent public school in the State (perhaps Male, but right there).  And as @Brown said they won't lie down for anyone.  Thought I'd add some food for thought from an outsider:

Top 3 Positive Things for Mayfield in this game:

1. Playing at Home - War Memorial is a big advantage.

2. Coaching Staff - Seen it all; know how to circle the wagons and give you something you haven't seen before.  They will be ready.

3.  Speed - you either have it or you don't and the Cardinals do.

Top 3 Negative Things for Mayfield in this game:

1.  Outside of Paducah Tilghman, no one on their schedule is playing top shelf ball in the State.  And they only had 9 games on their schedule this year.  I just watched Owensboro beat South Warren.  A reason for that in my book is the tough out of district teams O played.  Scheduling is a tough task and no one wants to play Mayfield; not blaming because Mayfield traditionally schedules tough teams like Union City, TN and Corbin for example, but it's #1 here.

2.  Mayfield usually has the best players on the field and maybe the top 2 or 6.  But not this game.  Boley and Hensley are tough customers.

3.  What is your defensive game plan?  Stop Hensley.  Good thought.  Then Boley likely elevates and vice versa.  Just a tough animal to corral.  Boyle County held LCA to 38.  Can Mayfield at home when it matters?  I think they could, but it won't be easy.

Top 3 Positive Things for LCA in this game:

1.  You have the best 2 players on the field.  You need to ensure your game plan spotlights them.  The ole dance with the partners that brought you to the dance theme.  Sometimes Coaches outthink themselves.  Most find peril with this path.

2.  Your schedule has prepared you for all the games you have left to play.  Now just execute.

3.  Lot of momentum and confidence.  And with making the trip to the Purchase Area last year, they know what's in front of them much more than last season.

Top 3 Negative Things for LCA in this game:

1.  That's a long bus ride coach.  4 Hours.  How are you going to accommodate that?  Could they come out of the gate slowly?  That can certainly happen.

2.  Mayfield doesn't lose at home in the playoffs very often.  You are going to get their best game.  Coach Morris is a master on the sideline.

3.  You probably haven't seen Mayfield's best plays on film yet this season.  That could be Mayfield's advantage of drilling most of their opponents early and moving on.  I anticipate new wrinkles for this game that LCA will have to adjust to on the fly.

So there you have it.  Would love to be able to make this game, but alas just won't work out for my schedule.  Good luck to both teams and no injuries!

Mayfield did introduce a lot of "motion" vs Murray.  They saw something on film and added a wrinkle.  Your traditional Mayfield team does not use motion in their offense very often.

You mentioned: pick your poison Boley or Hensley.  The Cardinals are right there with Cartwright or Starks.  If you look at numbers, Cartwright (72.4%) has had an amazing senior year and his completion percentage is higher than Boley's (62.9%)this year, respectively.  Starks' numbers are not amazing or stand out but you have to consider that, for the most part of the season, he has played only in the 1 half of most games.

Not having a competitive game can lead to a slow start.  A positive for the Cardinals in round 2: that's probably the first time since the Paducah game that the starters played the entire game. Looking at film, the defensive line play for the Cardinals was sluggish at times.  I'm sure that is being addressed this week!  Not sure how much LCA has been challenged in the second part of the season. That plus travel on a school day, I'm starting to think Mayfield has the advantage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

How many title games has Beechwood played in?

I am not sure but I am going to guess and say 21.  According to the KHSAA:

Mike Yeagle is 8-2

Noel Rash is 7-1

Bernie Barre is 1-0

Bob Burnett is 0-1

Fred Miriani is 0-1

23 hours ago, Cobraxx said:

On a different note, I’m considering coming up from Nashville for this game. I’ve never been to War Memorial. Anyone have a recommendation on where to go for a pregame meal? Thanks in advance.

Wings Etc, Majestic Steak and Pizza to name a few.

I posted this on Facebook last year after we won the 17th state  title in school history. 

it’s that time to update the Beechwood state finals football history for the people who didn’t know this. 

Beechwood has played in 22 state finals since  1974.  

They played in their first state final in 1974 with a 14-0 loss to Murray. 

They have won 17 titles while appearing in 22 finals since 1984 when they won their 1st title. 

The Tigers defeated Paris 35-26 in 1984 at the old Cardinal Stadium to win the first of 17 titles. 

LCA is tied with Pikeville for the most opponents with 3  Beechwood has played in the finals. 

Beechwood is 3-0 vs LCA. They are 2-1 vs Pikeville. 

Beechwood have played Bardstown, Mayfield, Murray, Harrodsburg, Hazard, and  Danville each twice.

Beechwood is 2-0 against Bardstown, Harrodsburg, and Hazard. � 

Beechwood is 1-1 vs Danville and Murray.

Mayfield was the only  team Beechwood had never defeated in the finals at least once until today! � 
Beechwood is 1-0 vs Paris, Raceland and Hancock County. 

But back to this game if the winner of this game wins state they will have earned it. Going through Mayfield or LCA, Beechwood and OC won’t be an easy task. 

LCA is the best team in 2A but you never can count out Mayfield playing down there in Nov. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, theguru said:

I am not sure but I am going to guess and say 21.  According to the KHSAA:

Mike Yeagle is 8-2

Noel Rash is 7-1

Bernie Barre is 1-0

Bob Burnett is 0-1

Fred Miriani is 0-1

25 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

21 we are 17-4 in them. 

We have won 17 titles since 1984. 

Murray beat us in 1974 in our first state title appearance. 

21 minutes ago, theguru said:

Is it 17-4 or 16-5?

12 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

They are 17-4. 

7 minutes ago, theguru said:

Thanks and I am not trying debate this with anyone but here was my source:

https://khsaa.org/records/football/coachesadvancing.pdf

==================

Moving back to the game, what is the weather going to be like in Mayfield Friday night?

I think I have this now, 2022 is not included in that link so:

Mike Yeagle is 8-2

Noel Rash is 8-1

Bernie Barre is 1-0

Bob Burnett is 0-1

Fred Miriani is 0-1

So 17-5 for Beechwood in the finals in 22 total appearances.