NKY Week 2 Games To Watch

kyag

As we begin week 2, these are games in NKY that should be worth the price of admission. 

Tuesday 8/15/23

Conner @ Highlands -  I know you all think I’m a homer…and I am, but this is a good early test for the Cougars. Last year Conner got the best of the Bluebirds in Hebron. Highlands is scoring and Conner has a tough defense. Can the two young center backs for the Cougars handle the pressure of the Bluebirds?  Will Gesenhues have another big game for Highlands?  Can the attacking duo of Conner handle the size and skill of Khullar?  I guess we will get answers on Tuesday night to all of the above.

Thursday 8/17/23

Campbell County @ Dixie Heights - A 10th region vs 9th region battle  Dixie has a draw and 2 loses on the season to some tough southern competition.  The Red Colonels will be looking for their 1st  win of the year.  Campbell County hasn’t played the quality opponents that Dixie has and will be looking for a quality win  

Cooper @ NCC - The Jaguars make the trip to Morscher Park to play on the grass field of NCC.   NCC is tough at home and know how to use the setting sun to their advantage to attack opposing keepers who are looking at the sun dropping over the hill.  NCC is 3-0 having scored 11 goals and allowed 2.  Can Cooper get a win verses the Thoroughbreds?  

8/19/23

St. Henry @ Beechwood - Both schools play some big time games earlier in the week and both could be looking for a win on Saturday.  Maybe we see a rematch in a few weeks at the “All A” tournament?

St. Xavier @ Covington Catholic - Last years state runner up comes to Park Hills to take on the Colonels.   

Other games of note:

8/15/23

St. Henry @ Bishop Brossart

NCC @ Campbell County

Holy Cross (Covington) @ Grant County

Ryle @ Beechwood

8/17/23

Holy Cross (Covington) @ Highlands

Bishop Brossart @ Ryle

Conner @ Simon Kenton

Cov Cath @ St. Henry

Holmes @ Villa Madonna

Boone County @ Walton Verona

8/19/23

Tates Creek @ Dixie Heights

Scott @ Conner

North Oldham @ Cooper

• Like 2

So the St. X - CCH match happened. The headline of this story is the score line. 1-0

The most remarkable player on the pitch was CCH's GK. He made 2 very good saves, out of about 8 on the night, keeping St. X to 1 goal out of many SOG. CCH's defense was put to work, and ultimately rose to the occasion. St. X's defense really didn't see as much action as the ball wasn't in their defensive third all that much. St. X relied heavily on the long ball to their left winger, who they connected with multiple times. CCH's left back just had the presence of mind and skill to be with him step for step and made some great tackles. CCH appeared to be trying the same tactic periodically but the pass was either very long, or was read by St. X's defense and intercepted.(frankly, many of their passes were intercepted in the midfield as well) They did have one solid opportunity with this but the shot went high.

My simple observation from the cheap seats is that St. X is definitely in a re-build year after last years finals runner-up squad. I just didn't see that caliber of player on that side. (at least not last night) CCH has talent both on the field and the bench. Its going to boil down to them playing as a team consistently game in and game out to solidify it in their own minds. 

Went home and watched the Leagues Cup final which didn't disappoint. If you weren't standing up during that shootout, you're a bystander not a fan. (of soccer) 🙂

• Like 1