SEC Scheduling Predictions

Jumper_Dad

It seems that each school will have three permanent opponents (but not in a pod). I expect the conference schedule to grow to 9 games if not the first year, very quickly thereafter. Going to a 9 game conference schedule would allow a school to play every conference school at least every two years. To me that just makes sense.

Potential Permanent Opponents 

Alabama- Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss

Auburn- Alabama, Georgia, Miss St.

Arkansas- Oklahoma, LSU, Missouri 

Florida- Georgia, LSU, So Carolina 

Georgia- Auburn, Florida, So Carolina 

Kentucky- Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Missouri 

LSU- Texas A&M, Florida, Arkansas 

Missouri- Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina 

Miss St- Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas

Ole Miss- Miss St, Alabama, Vanderbilt 

Oklahoma- Texas, Arkansas, Texas A&M 

South Carolina- Florida, Georgia, Missouri 

Tennessee- Kentucky, Alabama, Vanderbilt 

Texas- Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Miss St

Texas A&M- LSU, Texas, Oklahoma 

Vanderbilt- Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss

I'd be all for ditching "permanent" opponents just to add some variety.   If you aren't in the same state, there is no reason to play every year.  Look at UK vs Alabama.  If the SEC hadn't have had the all conference schedule in 2020 (when Alabama UK was one of the added games), it would have been 7 years between meetings.  Ditch playing the same teams every year and give the fan bases something new.

And don't cry tradition.  The NCAA sold it's tradition soul to the devil a while ago.

On 2/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, The Raven said:

I'd be all for ditching "permanent" opponents just to add some variety.   If you aren't in the same state, there is no reason to play every year.  Look at UK vs Alabama.  If the SEC hadn't have had the all conference schedule in 2020 (when Alabama UK was one of the added games), it would have been 7 years between meetings.  Ditch playing the same teams every year and give the fan bases something new.

And don't cry tradition.  The NCAA sold it's tradition soul to the devil a while ago.

Under the plan most discussed each team would play every team at least once every 4 years. If/when the conference schedule goes to 9 games teams will play every other team home AND away at least every four years. You would play your permanent opponents each year then 6 of the other 12 one year and the other 6 the next year. It would be cool every four years to see Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, LSU and others come to Lexington. 

If the SEC goes to a 9-game schedule, I imagine the divisions stay the same. Texas and Oklahoma will split up in the East/West, but be each others permanent cross-division opponent. 

This way, you keep every previous rivalry and add in the Red River every year. 

I agree with @TheDeuce, I’m hoping for a 8-game SEC schedule to preserve the Governor’s Cup.

2 hours ago, WishboneCity said:

If the SEC goes to a 9-game schedule, I imagine the divisions stay the same. Texas and Oklahoma will split up in the East/West, but be each others permanent cross-division opponent. 

This way, you keep every previous rivalry and add in the Red River every year. 

I agree with @TheDeuce, I’m hoping for a 8-game SEC schedule to preserve the Governor’s Cup.

There will not be divisions, they've said that over and over, unless they change their mind.