Scrimmaging against boys

From the Commissioner's January Notes

REMINDER ABOUT SCRIMMAGE LIMITS AND PRACTICE REGULATIONS

Recently, we have received several inquiries from schools about using males in practice for girls basketball against members of the girls' basketball team. If this occurs, the members of the squad are practicing against students (regardless of the grade level) who are not eligible to be on the eligibility list for the girls team, and therefore, each time this is done, the school has utilized one of its allowable two scrimmages. And schools are reminded that once the first official game has been played, there are no more opportunities for scrimmages by members of the team.

There are a myriad of reasons why this practice is not permitted, not the least of which is the fact that Bylaw 25 precludes the activity. Schools should also be mindful that using outside members in a situation like this

certainly could be viewed as depriving females at the younger or less talented levels of participation opportunities.

http://www.khsaa.org/cnotes/20062007/january07.pdf

Give it to me lbbcoach. What are your thoughts??

Let me just say that if I was coaching still, I would have been violating this rule, unintentionally since I didn't know it, at least once a week.

It was a vital part of my preparation. My younger players could not physically challenge us the way our opponents would and I used males in the school a bunch.

I hate this ruling. (I rarely use the hate word.) It prepared us much better than anything else for the physical play we were going to have against such teams as the Lady Camels of Campbell County.

I know of a coach my wife played against uses this same tactic and I had a chance to observe it first hand. This coach who does this happens to be the winningest coach to ever coach the game of basketball with 927 wins and oh yeah has a pretty good program down in tennessee.

I like the fact that you can use boys to challenge your "better" girls to get stronger, quicker, etc.

I know of a coach my wife played against uses this same tactic and I had a chance to observe it first hand. This coach who does this happens to be the winningest coach to ever coach the game of basketball with 927 wins and oh yeah has a pretty good program down in tennessee.

I like the fact that you can use boys to challenge your "better" girls to get stronger, quicker, etc.

You may have missed the other thread aimed at just college in which they were outlawing that on the college campuses too.

This has been going on at several schools for years.

What will KHSAA do if they catch someone doing it?

Good question? I coach boys so here is a scenario for you:

How many boys coaches call up their former players or gather them up when they are home for christmas to have them come in and work their kids over??

It gives the young boys another game like environment. I dont know about the legality over it but it surely doesnt seem right to allow that and not allow the girls to get an edge? Thoughts..

How many boys coaches call up their former players or gather them up when they are home for christmas to have them come in and work their kids over??

It gives the young boys another game like environment. I dont know about the legality over it but it surely doesnt seem right to allow that and not allow the girls to get an edge? Thoughts..

I can tell you I believe that is illegal. I always wanted to have a preseason meet the team night where we would scrimmage almuni but was told that would count as one of my two scrimmages.

I was under the assumption that students within your own school did NOT COUNT as a scrimmage and thus why you could scrimmage against boys.

You have been breaking the rules.

You have been breaking the rules.

JB, how about they don't do it in a scrimmage format but those players come in and guard the post players in a 2-man post drill.

Or how about they play defense or offense in a stop penetration drill.

NO scrimmaging but those players just participate in drills? Does that change the legality of it?

It's a stupid rule. The scrimmage rule should only be used when practicing against players from other schools.

Or teams/adults from outside of the school. You shouldn't be able to bring in the local church league team and scrimmage. I have no problem in keeping it within the school for the people to scrimmage.

Come on Jay. Dont insult my intelligence. I never said in a public forum that I do it, I put it out there that it happens :)

Another good point lbbcoach? They are drilling, or how about they are conducting some afterschool exercising that is on my court during practice, and it happens to be helping my girls considerably. I am not sure how that changes the legality. But I like it.

Or teams/adults from outside of the school. You shouldn't be able to bring in the local church league team and scrimmage. I have no problem in keeping it within the school for the people to scrimmage.

:thumb:

The only schools I could see having issue with this are those that have no boy teams. :sssh:

Come on Jay. Dont insult my intelligence. I never said in a public forum that I do it, I put it out there that it happens :)

Another good point lbbcoach? They are drilling, or how about they are conducting some afterschool exercising that is on my court during practice, and it happens to be helping my girls considerably. I am not sure how that changes the legality. But I like it.

If it is occurring outside of the basketball season and they are in any way, shape or form, associated with your program, absolutely not.

If it is during the season and they are doing drills I see no problem with it.

If it is a conditioning program that is open to ANY GIRL in the school building (that is a key) then it is fine. So you could offer a cardio program with the new trend of the ball, have your girls attending and if other girls wanted to participate that would be fine.

Also, if you do not move up the MS girls, the Varsity coach can coach and practice with them in an offseason league since they are not a HS player and would not violate any rules.