Kentucky Fires Offensive Coordinator Rich Scangarello

16thBBall Fan

The change comes following a disappointing season offensively for Kentucky, in which the Wildcats averaged just 22.1 points-per game. UK failed to reach the 40-point mark in all 12 games this season, while never scoring more than 27 points in an SEC game. Issues began for the Wildcat offense in the eyes of during the week three 31-0 win over Youngstown State on Sept. 17. Things would never get better statistically, as Kentucky would fail to reach that 31-point mark for the remainder of the season. 

It will be interesting to see who gets offered the job. Stay turned.

13 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I’m just not convinced that is what Stoops wants. He’s the common denominator in all of these failed offensive efforts. 

Totally disagree, why wouldn’t you want to increase your chances of winning games by throwing the football 15 yards plus, Stoops can see this, firing OC’s is not a good look for a well paid head coach. What do you think he is doing, holding back a potential 1st round QB pick?

55 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Totally disagree, why wouldn’t you want to increase your chances of winning games by throwing the football 15 yards plus, Stoops can see this, firing OC’s is not a good look for a well paid head coach. What do you think he is doing, holding back a potential 1st round QB pick?

I think Stoops is has a conservative, run-heavy offensive mind. I think he belongs to that old line of thinking that “three things can happen when you throw it and two of them are bad.” He’s an excellent coach but what have you ever seen from Stoops that makes you think “sling it around Air Raid?”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I think Stoops is has a conservative, run-heavy offensive mind. I think he belongs to that old line of thinking that “three things can happen when you throw it and two of them are bad.” He’s an excellent coach but what have you ever seen from Stoops that makes you think “sling it around Air Raid?”

First 2 seasons and both of Towles seasons they were right at 50/50 run/pass. The last 3 or 4 years they had arguably the two best RB in school history and even with Levis and Cohen last year they didn't need to throw it 40 times a game. One reason for the reliance on the run has also been a string of poor throwing QBs.

I think Stoops will be perfectly happy to stay around 50/50 run/pass. However if the passing game can be effective and he can trust it, I think he'd be happy to move the ball through the air more.

• Like 1