Highlands 59 Dixie 14

TheDeuce

4 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

Lots of people can throw a beautiful ball, doesn’t make them a QB.  I think the Birds are in great hands this year and next with Mr. Benke.  He is the better QB and it’s not close.

4 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

Lots of people can throw a beautiful ball, doesn’t make them a QB.  I think the Birds are in great hands this year and next with Mr. Benke.  He is the better QB and it’s not close.

Agree. I said he was better. And he is leading the team. Didn’t mean to ruffle the ole feathers there my friend! 

• Like 1

Hats off to Highlands on a really good team win. I love my red colonels but the same ugly trends keep showing up. Offense can’t sustain drives, defense on the field way too much, and no depth to help out. The defense has been the better side of the ball thus far until tonight. Plenty of blame to go around for this one. After a bye week I did not see this coming. In my opinion Dixie has to make a change on offensive philosophy. This tempo hurry up or whatever you kids call it is not the answer clearly. You’re never as bad or as good as they say you are. So if I’m highlands I wouldn’t start making reservations in Lexington just yet, and if I’m Dixie it’s not the end of the world… yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

He is but still misses way to many receivers. New tea work on timing and sky’s the limit on this kid. Could be special. Side note, Cam Bottom still throws a very nice ball. Just can’t figure why it doesn’t translate over to varsity start. 

Not sure Ted watches the games 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Not sure Ted watches the games 🤷🏻‍♂️

I agree with what Ted was saying too. He didn’t say the QB wasn’t doing well. Just that he misses some open receivers. He’s getting better.

I’m sure he approached the season like he was going to play wr. How many QB reps did he get in spring and summer? Did he get any? I doubt it. Did he go to any QB camps? I seriously doubt it. he’s improving and will get better when he works on getting his feet set, ball position, release point. He was just thrown into the fire after the first few guys didn’t get it done against south Warren.

As far as the backup QB, Ted just said the other guy throws a nice ball but it hasn’t translated to varsity. It doesn’t mean he should start. 

Benke still has a big upside passing. The thing that I hope clicks for him, is that when he runs the ball, he realizes he’s bigger than about anyone who’s going to tackle him and he starts delivery the blows instead of anticipating getting hit. .

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Royal Blue said:

I agree with what Ted was saying too. He didn’t say the QB wasn’t doing well. Just that he misses some open receivers. He’s getting better.

I’m sure he approached the season like he was going to play wr. How many QB reps did he get in spring and summer? Did he get any? I doubt it. Did he go to any QB camps? I seriously doubt it. he’s improving and will get better when he works on getting his feet set, ball position, release point. He was just thrown into the fire after the first few guys didn’t get it done against south Warren.

As far as the backup QB, Ted just said the other guy throws a nice ball but it hasn’t translated to varsity. It doesn’t mean he should start. 

Benke still has a big upside passing. The thing that I hope clicks for him, is that when he runs the ball, he realizes he’s bigger than about anyone who’s going to tackle him and he starts delivery the blows instead of anticipating getting hit. .

Great post! The first snap he took at QB in months was when he had to go in the SW game. 

Agree with TED that Bottom throws a great ball. Must be a mental thing that when the lights go on it doesn't translate. 

Totally agree with your view of him running the ball too. Once the aggressive nature kicks in and he knows he can put a shoulder down or stiff arm out and run people over he will take it to the next level. 

• Like 1

Highlands had one dropped pass in the end zone, other than that, it was a great night for the receivers.

Still too many penalties.

The targeting call on Dixie was a helmet to helmet crushing blow to the HHS receivers head. Hope he is ok, I was glad to see him get up and walk off the field.

Thought Highlands played a complete game for the first time this year.  Offense, defense and specials were all solid.  Agree with others on Benke, stand tall in the pocket, step and throw.  Sometimes looks like he is throwing a split finger fastball.  Specials continue to improve, but kickoff return does not appear to have a scheme, need to work on that.  Also did not understand the angle kickoff, use the kids ability to bury the ball in the corner and keep teams from getting to the 20.  I have seen it work very well at college level.  DB’s a little concerning, but keep working on the craft.  Overall good game and emphasis needs to be on getting better every week in each facet of the game.

Yeah Dixie has some discipline issues get under control. I remember reading that Rice plays to the echo of the Whistle. Well last Night on a Fair catch called by Highlands on a punt return, he played straight through the Whistle and leveled the Backup punt returner. Penalty was assessed but it was Cheap. I’m calling as I see it. Noway he didn’t see the Signal and had every intent to destroy the Returner. Could of resulted in a very Nasty injury.

• Like 1

Dixie has had on field discipline issues for as long g as I can remember, and it seems no matter who the coach is, it’s never addressed or the players never care(d). I agree, running through a punt returner on a fair catch is intentional if that is in fact what happened. I’m glad it was called a penalty but injuries can’t be reversed. How did Dixie’s offense do with the run a play every ten seconds? Did they stick with it even after the game was out of hand?

On 9/24/2022 at 2:52 PM, Breds82 said:

Dixie has had on field discipline issues for as long g as I can remember, and it seems no matter who the coach is, it’s never addressed or the players never care(d). I agree, running through a punt returner on a fair catch is intentional if that is in fact what happened. I’m glad it was called a penalty but injuries can’t be reversed. How did Dixie’s offense do with the run a play every ten seconds? Did they stick with it even after the game was out of hand?

I’m not sure of the distant history but the last two seasons prior to this one Dixie has been fine with on field discipline. This season has been bad for on field issues. In this game two personal fouls by Dixie and one on Highlands on the sideline. The Rice penalty on the returner I witnessed almost the entire defensive staff give him hell for it. Helmet to Helmet ended up just being a hard shoulder on a defenseless receiver (via pics posted from the game) but the officials have to throw that flag there. I didn’t see that one live I was over at the concession stand. I will say as a parent some of the sideline and day to day discipline issues you hear about are concerning. Dixie did continue to do what they do offensively and did not deviate from their new style of offense. At this point I can’t say I blame them. These kids just learned the offense and to change it now wouldn’t be good. Still a young team that needs to continue to learn and grow in this system and I think they will do that. This was not going to be a very competitive year anyway for them with all the changes in the program. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finkle Ray said:

I’m not sure of the distant history but the last two seasons prior to this one Dixie has been fine with on field discipline. This season has been bad for on field issues. In this game two personal fouls by Dixie and one on Highlands on the sideline. The Rice penalty on the returner I witnessed almost the entire defensive staff give him hell for it. Helmet to Helmet ended up just being a hard shoulder on a defenseless receiver (via pics posted from the game) but the officials have to throw that flag there. I didn’t see that one live I was over at the concession stand. I will say as a parent some of the sideline and day to day discipline issues you hear about are concerning. Dixie did continue to do what they do offensively and did not deviate from their new style of offense. At this point I can’t say I blame them. These kids just learned the offense and to change it now wouldn’t be good. Still a young team that needs to continue to learn and grow in this system and I think they will do that. This was not going to be a very competitive year anyway for them with all the changes in the program. 

There isn't a picture of this play posted. The call by the ref was targeting. The ref got it right. The HHS guy was the tight end number 85?