USC and UCLA to the Big 10!

Jumper_Dad

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/usc-ucla-planning-to-leave-pac-12-for-big-ten-in-2024-with-announcement-imminent/

Big Ten presidents and athletic directors met Wednesday night to discuss adding USC and UCLA to the league, according to The Athletic.

Another major shift in College athletics if this comes to pass. This will almost completely gut the PAC 12 and is a major grab by the B1G.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

This, in my opinion, will accelerate the move to expanded playoffs.

More than that, I think we are edging closer and closer to an NFL-like setup for football where there are 64~ teams competing in divisions with playoffs that culminate in a Super Bowl like championship. What I am more curious about is how that plays out for basketball and various other non-revenue sports. I don't see why it has to eliminate them, but I hope someone near the top is smart enough to play football in mega-conferences but put the other sports in more regionally aligned groups, instead of saying "we can't afford this" and canceling those sports altogether.

• Like 1

At this point just wake me when the Pac12 and BigXII combine, the ACC and SEC both absorb smaller conferences and we have our Super Conferences.  The NCAA will be gone and ND will either be in one of the supers or left playing NAIA teams.

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Heard someone on sports talk radio this evening say we are headed to 2 conferences - the ESPN Conference and the Fox Conference. He was only half kidding.

Well, yeah. We are trending towards an NFL light with two conferences. Winners of the respective conferences play in the College Bowl.

• Jumper_Dad changed the title to USC and UCLA to the Big 10!